RS-2's and RS-4's discontinued?

Started by magicshoemonkey, December 02, 2014, 08:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I asked a guitar shop about RS-2's, and I was told Larrivee is discontinuing both the RS-2 and RS-4. Is this true? Has anyone heard anything about this?
Larrivee OMV-05e

I doubt it.  However there might be some changes to the RS-4.  I also think the Larrivee shop has been quite busy with the new 40 series.

Are they a Larrivee dealer?  Did they happen to recommend another brand instead?  :whistling:

It is possible sales of their electrics don't justify continuing production, but I don't have any personal insight into that state of affairs.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Matthew Larrivee has said that he, and Larrivee Guitars, are committed to making electric guitars for the long haul. However, it's a tough market right now in the dollar range in which Larrivees sell.

Everyone wants one of the known brands - Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, PRS and maybe a couple others, plus some of the "boutique" brands that run in the same price range - Collings, Suhr and a few others.

So if dealers aren't ordering Larrivee electrics, they won't get made.

I suspect they might be selling a few overseas (mostly in Europe), but that's based on a few YouTube video's I've seen, and the market niche that the Autschbach Signature model is in (he starts playing it at around 4:15 in the clip).

Don't know the status of the Bakersfield and the Santa Monica (new Strat model)... I still want one of the previous "Super Strat" style Lancasters (see pic below - yeah, I flipped it)!  :crying:

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:+1:

Ultimately the market is the determining factor.

This came from one of the more prominent online Larrivee dealers. I just hadn't heard anything about it and didn't see anyone on here commenting upon it. He said the Santa Monica and Bakersfield are still continuing production, but the RS-2 and RS-4 are being discontinued.
Larrivee OMV-05e

Quote from: magicshoemonkey on December 03, 2014, 02:44:57 AM
This came from one of the more prominent online Larrivee dealers. I just hadn't heard anything about it and didn't see anyone on here commenting upon it. He said the Santa Monica and Bakersfield are still continuing production, but the RS-2 and RS-4 are being discontinued.
That would be most unfortunate for those who have yet to discover this guitar. I'm sure glad I have mine!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

That would be :crying:. Would really love to swap my Les Paul for a RS-4 someday. Too bad the RS-4 has such a high price over here.
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 03, 2014, 08:21:54 AM
That would be most unfortunate for those who have yet to discover this guitar. I'm sure glad I have mine!!!

:+1: for my RS-4

:+1: for my RS-2

I just did a mini rav on a post this morning concerning bridge set-up.

If the news of discontinuing is true,, now would be the time to make a purchase, the RS4 is just about as good as it gets.
And there seems to be some good deals on used ones that have been taken care of.

Of course it would only take one or wo very famous players to be caught on tour playing these wonderful guitars, and then being interviewed in a trade magazine extolling their virtues, of rhe guitar world to think the way us owners think.... :guitar
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on December 04, 2014, 08:10:16 AM
I just did a mini rav on a post this morning concerning bridge set-up.

If the news of discontinuing is true,, now would be the time to make a purchase, the RS4 is just about as good as it gets.
And there seems to be some good deals on used ones that have been taken care of.

Of course it would only take one or wo very famous players to be caught on tour playing these wonderful guitars, and then being interviewed in a trade magazine extolling their virtues, of rhe guitar world to think the way us owners think.... :guitar

Any thoughts on a reasonable price for a used RS-4 with all the inlay on the fretboard?  USD$

Quote from: Strings4Him on December 04, 2014, 10:16:41 AM
Any thoughts on a reasonable price for a used RS-4 with all the inlay on the fretboard?  USD$

By all the inlay, do you mean the block/triangle inlays?

I'd say you could find one for $900-1,200 used. Worth every penny all the way up to $1,500, but you couldn't resell it for that, sadly.

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 04, 2014, 10:29:02 AM
By all the inlay, do you mean the block/triangle inlays?

I'd say you could find one for $900-1,200 used. Worth every penny all the way up to $1,500, but you couldn't resell it for that, sadly.

Yes with the block inlay.  Thanks.

Quote from: Strings4Him on December 04, 2014, 10:16:41 AM

Yeah, about $7525.95

fwiw I asked on the Larrrivee FB page about the RS-4 being discontinued, 

the reply was ... " At this time we are. We are focusing on other models while we continue streamlining the merger of two factories. "

This was two months ago, 5th October to be exact.

Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on December 05, 2014, 12:10:47 PM

NOPE here's one!!! NICE one too...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Larrivee-RS-4-Guitar-/161509563415?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1120

That's a *fair* - though not a *great* price, although I suspect it will go for less if the auction is completed. If it were a rootbeer burst or tobacco burst, then I would say it's worth the $1250. I think the charcoal burst should go for a little less, and I suspect he may have purchased it for less than that, and be looking for a profit.

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 05, 2014, 07:06:07 PM
That's a *fair* - though not a *great* price, although I suspect it will go for less if the auction is completed. If it were a rootbeer burst or tobacco burst, then I would say it's worth the $1250. I think the charcoal burst should go for a little less, and I suspect he may have purchased it for less than that, and be looking for a profit.

my eBay post was in response to the previous post about a price for one would be $7525.95

BUT is there a charcoal burst discrimination here?
The price he's asking is $1,000 LESS that the guitar probably sold for, and as one of the best electric guitars on the market I think it's a great price, not sure why the finish (other than personal preference) would make it worth less ( or more).
Every one of those guitars are built with the same attention to detail, and with the same top shelf components as the next.

Why would that colour be worth less?
just askin' or did I miss something in your post?
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on December 05, 2014, 10:50:25 PM

my eBay post was in response to the previous post about a price for one would be $7525.95

BUT is there a charcoal burst discrimination here?
The price he's asking is $1,000 LESS that the guitar probably sold for, and as one of the best electric guitars on the market I think it's a great price, not sure why the finish (other than personal preference) would make it worth less ( or more).
Every one of those guitars are built with the same attention to detail, and with the same top shelf components as the next.

Why would that colour be worth less?
just askin' or did I miss something in your post?

Probably just the reality that some colors have sold more than others.  Same great components under the hood though  :thumbsup

When these first came out my favourite color was the charcoal burst, thus it was my first RS 4. I have picked up a few RS 4's since including Root Beer. My favourite is still Charcoal Burst

FWIW
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)