Recommendations wanted: Good beginning guitar

Started by Autumnlady, November 28, 2014, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,

A friend of mine is buying a "first" guitar for his teenage daughter, who's had a little guitar experience but is essentially a beginner.  He's asked me for recommendations, so I'm turning to you knowledgeable folk here for some advice.  I've come up with Yamaha, Sigma (older models), and Ibanez.  He's wondering about Takamine and Washburn, and I have no experience with those.  Any opinions or suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Depends on the budget.  I recently helped pick a guitar for a beginner and liked the Yamaha FG700S.  About $200 (probably a bit less with holiday sales and all) and throw in another $25 or so for a bag, and she'd pretty well be set.

Ed

Washburn has some nice stuff but also have them check out Seagul.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hi lady, are you looking for electric or acoustic. Art and lutherie makes a nice small acoustic guitar. They are the same people who make Seagull Guitars.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

As I said in the other thread, I'd look at Yamaha. One with a solid spruce top. I've owned quite a few different ones and I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They've been doing it a long time.   

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 28, 2014, 04:35:38 PM
As I said in the other thread, I'd look at Yamaha. One with a solid spruce top. I've owned quite a few different ones and I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They've been doing it a long time.   

I also have had a few nice Yamaha's and just recently did a set up for a friend.  Excellent bang for the entry level buck.
Steve ....aka the SMan

First, some very basic questions:

1) What type of music is she interested in playing?
2) What body style fits her COMFORTABLY?
3) Price range?
4) Is she serious about playing the guitar or will she have trouble getting over the "My fingers hurt" stage.

Remember, even the higher priced guitars might need a good set-up to be playable so remember that. If this is a surprise (Christmas, etc.) buy locally with the proviso that the guitar can be returned for full value as trade-in for something that SHE would prefer. If this isn't a surprise, take her to a number of places and let her play all that they have so she can get a feel for what she likes.

Hope this helps.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

:+1:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: unclrob on November 28, 2014, 11:21:30 AM
Washburn has some nice stuff but also have them check out Seagul.
:+1:

Although Seagull has recently released a less expensive Excursion series, it might be interesting to check Art & Lutherie out too. Same manufacturer but somewhat lower prices— depending on the budget ofcourse.

Edit:

Didn't see your comment, broKen. Same thing!
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C

I taught many students over the years, and always found the D size guitars were just plain dumb for teen agers, especially girl teenagers.
all companies, like Yamaha, and seagull etc make smaller bodied guitars, but I wouldn't go larger than an OM size.
be conscious of the "action", new players and tender fingers will prefer a lower action (strings to frets), especially in the "open" chord frets.

ALL new guitars, come with strings set a wee bit too high at the top nut, a good store with a decent house tech can fix that.

basically, comfort (body size) and easy playing will always be the best ticket for enjoyable lessons and beginnings.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on December 02, 2014, 03:15:59 PM
I taught many students over the years, and always found the D size guitars were just plain dumb for teen agers, especially girl teenagers.
all companies, like Yamaha, and seagull etc make smaller bodied guitars, but I wouldn't go larger than an OM size.
be conscious of the "action", new players and tender fingers will prefer a lower action (strings to frets), especially in the "open" chord frets.

ALL new guitars, come with strings set a wee bit too high at the top nut, a good store with a decent house tech can fix that.

basically, comfort (body size) and easy playing will always be the best ticket for enjoyable lessons and beginnings.....

With this in mind (and keep in mind I'm a parlor fan), when I was looking for a guitar for my friend to take to Haiti, I was very impressed with a Recording King Dirty Thirties Single O size.  It was $199 at the time and is on sale for $170 now.  Solid top, laminated sides and back.  To me, it sounded nice and the one I played needed no more of a setup (basically lowering of the nut) than the Yamaha we ended up with.  Actually, I liked it (sound wise) better than the "folk" size yamaha.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Recording-King-Dirty-Thirties-Solid-Top-Single-O-108928482-i2999048.gc

Ed