Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washburn guitars: opinions?  (Read 1388 times)
Autumnlady

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me something about the quality of Washburn acoustic guitars?  A friend of mine wants to buy his teenage daughter a guitar, and Guitar Center is steering them toward a Washburn (not sure which model).  I have no experience with these so thought I'd ask here.  My friend's daughter is mostly a beginning player.

Thanks!
datdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »

No experience of the Washburns, but I have read many disappointing stories and complaints about their newer parlor entries.  Doesn't sound like quality stuff, from what I've read.  If she's starting out, perhaps one of those Alvarez AP70s might be the answer.  I think that's what I'd recommend right now to my friends looking for a student's guitar.  That or a Seagull. 

Larrivee LV-10 2013
Michael Gee classical 2003
Martin D12X1AE 12 string
Alvarez AP66
Gretsch 5420t Electromatic
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »

I have a cheaper Washburn 12 string, I bought used for a couple hundred that's decent especially since I don't play much 12 string. The 6 string version was chosen as the best guitar buy of the year a while back. A buddy has a top of the line Washburn 6 string, don't know what model, but it's very nice. He bought it in Canada for around $1,000. That would be a $700-800 guitar in the US. The $300-400ish ones would definitely be alright, the more expensive ones put you in used Larrivée territory where I'd say you'd be better off. As with all cheaper guitars, they tend to vary quite a bit from one to another. You'd have to play a few if you can and find one you like. Personally, I'd look at Yamaha. Best inexpensive guitars around for many years. Hope this was some help.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »

I agree that Yamaha or any of the Godin family of guitars would be worthwhile checking into.  (Godin, Norman, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick).  You haven't said how much their budget is.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »

Godin Family - Seagull is the best known
Breedlove - Their imports are quite outstanding for the $$$
Alvarez - their so-called "Parlors" are actually 00 instruments.  I rather like the engelmann topped version.

Also, I hate to say it, but the solid topped Luna guitars are actually much nicer guitars than one would expect given their marketing and overly "girly" appointments. (solid top only, the laminate tops sound like dead boxes)

Need a budget and we can give better advice.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »

Also, I hate to say it, but the solid topped Luna guitars are actually much nicer guitars than one would expect given their marketing and overly "girly" appointments. (solid top only, the laminate tops sound like dead boxes)

Need a budget and we can give better advice.

Agreed of both of these. 

Trying a Luna was one of those things I did in a closed acoustic room when no one was there!     How nice it sounded surprised me, but I still wouldn't want anyone to see me with one. 

And, a budget is needed to give the best advice. 

Also, if the friend can get someone knowledgeable in guitars to go along, it would be worth seeing what's in the used room.  You can usually get 2x the guitar for the money if you go used.  It's tough, you don't want to spend a ton of money for something that a beginner might not take to, but they are the ones who would benefit the most from a better guitar.

Ed
DenverSteve

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:25:39 AM »

Some Washburn guitars are great.  Others are good and others are... I suggest playing one before buying.

Shalom, Steve
Larrivee OM-03R Twelfth Fret, Martin D41, Gibson J45 Southern Jumbo, Martin OM-28V, Taylor 912 ... et al.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: