Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scale Diff Between 00 And Om  (Read 1687 times)
slamk

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2004, 02:06:47 PM »

Hello All

Been a lurker for a while, and finally decided to speak.

I am in the market for either a Larrivee OM or 00. I curently have a rosewood parlor, (which is fantastic)and have been told the scale on the 00 (25.5) is just slightly longer than a parlor (24). When I look at the OM (25.5), it looks a heck of a lot longer scale than 00 (25.5), which is supposed to be the same scale as the OM.

Confused? So am I. I look at the photo of the gentleman on the forum site with a 00-10, and it looks real similar to a parlor scale.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Larrivee Rosewood Parlor
Larrivee 00-05
Zach
Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 02:50:33 PM »

The 00 and the OM do indeed both have a 25.5" scale.  The reason it probably looks longer on the OM is that the OM body joins at the 14th fret while the 00 is a 12 fret design.  The extra 2 frets free of the body can make the scale lenght look longer even though its really not.

Zach
slamk

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 02:58:24 PM »

Ahaaa. . .I see now, thanks.

Larrivee Rosewood Parlor
Larrivee 00-05
Fingertwister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 11:04:15 AM »

IMO it's the combination of that 25.5 scale, smaller body & 12fret neck that adds up to a killer fingerstyle sound, very reminiscent (to my ears ) of classic prewar models - interesting to compare Larrivee 00 with, say, OS Stella for tone, can't figure why they're not more plentiful?
slamk

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 11:26:55 AM »

It IS interesting. From what I  can tell, everyone who has had a Larrivee 00 has just raved about it. That pre-war Stella sound is what I'm looking for. Thanks twister.

Larrivee Rosewood Parlor
Larrivee 00-05
charlies3

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 02:22:02 PM »

Was wondering if you've also considered an LS model which seems to fit in between the OM and the OO.   I'm in a similar situation with a koa parlor but looking for a slightly larger size.
slamk

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 02:25:22 PM »

Charlies

Tell me about the LS? Is it a slim L model. I think the L series has a deeper body than the 00 or OM, right?

Slamk

Larrivee Rosewood Parlor
Larrivee 00-05
Fingertwister

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 03:29:03 PM »

If you like the sound of a parlor but want it beefed up, then 00 rather than 000 is the way to go, I would suggest, since 00 retains that characteristic midrange emphasis whereas 000 is getting towards bassier - nothing wrong with that, but to my ears, the smaller bodysize & 12-fret neck  combination comes closer to the prewar tone; after all, photos of Patton, Blake, Lemon etc show them with guitars that are very small by modern standards - at any rate, do try to hear/play a 00 before you commit; good luck in your search..
slim

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 05:49:50 PM »

Depth of the various series...

Parlor - 3 1/2"
L - 4"
LS - 4"
OM - 4"
D - 4 1/2"
J - 4 3/4"

I don't know what the depth of the 00- series is...

;)  
slim

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 06:06:36 PM »

Could someone explain the difference in relative sound between the following models (I have an L-05 so this is the only constant I have);

L-05
LS-05
OO-05
Mahogany Parlor

There are no stores around me that have any of these models in stock...

Thanks
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2004, 07:23:54 PM »

L-05---you already know
LS-05----Slightly smaller body with the L body shape,not as small as the OM
OO-05------Small body 12 fret neck joint,lots of tone and vol
Mahogany Parlor----smaller scale then the 00,for me not as much tone as the 00

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
PastorMike

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 01:40:14 PM »

There seem to be a couple of differences that I find significant between the OM and OO. Now they may be just from my limited experience with the OM and my new OO-5 (which is the only OO i have played from Larrivee.
First, the OO-5 is stronger in the midrange. It has a focused bass, but not overpowering, which seems to give it a bit more a woody sound.
Second, the OO, perhaps due to the placement of the bridge farther back because of the 12 fret neck, has a tremendous sustain, even stronger than my C-10.
Just my experience and it is limited to so few guitars, all Mahogany and Spruce in the Larrivee line.
PastorMike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: