National Resophonic guitar

Started by homme de fer, December 07, 2014, 03:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A couple months ago, I started messing with a slide using a kids parlour guitar in open D. Quite the challenge but I really enjoyed it. I bought a Gretsch Boxcar reso about 6 weeks ago and my playing has grown as well.

I made the mistake of going to Folkway Music out in Waterloo yesterday and tried a National. Well, that was "sky rockets in flight". Incredible tone, volume, punch, everything  thought it would be.

I've got my eye on a used National Delphi and was curious if anyone had any experience with National guitars and any of the models they carry.

Thanks in advance

They make them up here on the central coast.  If you ever go thru SLO, do the tour.  But call first and schedule.  It is a lot of fun.  Guitars from a machine shop...what next.

I'm a little far away from me in Toronto, so, I did the next best thing and watched the movie "Resonate". Incredible playing from masters of the National and a walk through of the process to build them.

So far, I've tried:

- the NRP Vintage Steel - really like the vibe I got from it. It wasn't as "rattly" as I though it would be
- the Collegian - I liked it too but wasn't feeling the love. Maybe it was the look, I don't know
- Style O - this one blew my mind. It was just a little different from the NRP Steel, very subtle. I don't know, maybe a little warmer? It felt like the notes were just spilling out of it like a faucet; I couldn't stop playing it. Of course, it had to be the most expensive in the shop. Everything about it felt "right", hard to explain.

As a side note, I tried a Collins OM, Santa Cruz OM, Taylor OM style, and a few Martin's (OM and 000). I loved all those guitars but the Santa Cruz was a beautiful looking guitar as well. Funny thing though, I didn't think any of them were a significant upgrade, sound wise, from my Larrivee L-01 even though mine is several thousand less than any of them. I'll have to bring mine with me and A B them next time I go but, after 14 years, I still haven't found an equal to my first good guitar, regardless the price. The only exception is strumming, a Martin D-18/28 beats it handily (I find the L body a bit a "shrill").

My son has a Delphi which has a V neck and it's a nice, loud guitar. Great for Blues and Slide and well built.

I have played the wood bodied models which are nice too. Toyed with the idea of getting one so my son and I can swap back and forth.