???????

Started by unclrob, November 19, 2014, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 20, 2014, 06:20:11 AM
Unless it's offered at the proper price point. There's a place for such guitars. Not everyone can afford or needs a fine instrument. Most folks aren't going to buy their 10 year olds a Martin or Taylor.  

I totally agree with you. In my last post, when I said real wood, I also referred to laminates and layered pieces. But it just doesn't feel right when brands like Martin start advertising and pricing guitars with plastic topped laminates as serious instruments.

This link I found quite informative:
Explaination @ Guitar Muse
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C

I have no problem with laminated guitars done properly.I guess as I get older I find that changing a word to make something sound better then it is just gets me going.I have a Seagul S12 which is a wonderful laminated 12 string.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Bas on November 20, 2014, 10:39:25 AM
I totally agree with you. In my last post, when I said real wood, I also referred to laminates and layered pieces. But it just doesn't feel right when brands like Martin start advertising and pricing guitars with plastic topped laminates as serious instruments.

All they need to do now is add a garbage disposal to the sound hole, kind of finishing off the countertop so to speak.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 19, 2014, 01:47:49 PM
The marketing team at Taylor is 2nd to none!!!
They make my stomach turn with the videos trying to play on the feel-good, "we're saving the environment" deception.
At least the truth can be spoken here.  On AGF, if you question anything Bob says they will burn you as a heretic. 
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

When I started shopping for my next guitar - the one after the one I ruined which Mr. LV19e ^^ took possesion of many years ago; I was considering a Martin HPL guitar - the full on all HPL guitar.  I was also shopping Garrison guitars - they both were in my price range I was considering, I think it was around $400 at the time.  The Garrison sounded nice but was dang heavy - that injection molded frame that they used must have weighed 5 pounds all on it's own.  The Martin all HPL was the best sounding guitar in it's price range at the dealer I was shopping.  I actually liked the concept of not having to worry about the finish on the guitar.  Then the luthier at the shop saw me messing with the all HPL Martin, and said, "You should check out these LarrivĂ©es - all solid wood construction made in North America.  I don't know how the guy does it for the price."  I ended up spending almost double but I was smitten by the light weight and tone.

But in the $400 range at that time, the HPL Martin was really nice.  I think at that time they were using an 'x' in all of the models that used HPL/formica.

Then again, I think some of the most beautiful sounding steel string acoustics are Rainsong guitars - so what do I know about 'tonewoods'?

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: Bas on November 20, 2014, 10:39:25 AM

It's been one of my pet peeves for years. Martin used to make guitars like that under assumed names and put a tag on them saying the were created under Martin's auspices. Some of these guitars weren't too bad at all. However, since they've decided to stoop to conquer, now they put their logo on them. To me, it's like GM putting a Cadillac sticker on a ... dead head ... er ... Chevette.  :laughin:

Then you have the Gibson ES 335. Plywood since the 1950's. They go for several thousand more than most people can afford.
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Quote from: abalone at last on November 22, 2014, 11:00:27 AM
Then you have the Gibson ES 335. Plywood since the 1950's. They go for several thousand more than most people can afford.

Obviously the fact that they are plywood is not an issue with those that play them.  Well executed plywood guitars would be my take on it.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Besides if they carved that top the price would be in Manzer territory. I have a very nice copy of a 335 that I bought in the late 70's. It cost me $450 then, about half the price of what a Gibson was going for. I've replaced the tuners, the input jack, added a tunomatic bridge, a better trapeze tailpiece and the bridge pup with a Gibson pickup that came out of a wreck. Compared to the real thing, there's not a lot to choose from. It's a Univox but it's unlike any other Univox anyone's ever seen. I contacted the guy who used to have a Univox site and when I described the guitar, he informed me that it didn't exist. I sent pictures but he never returned my message. Except for the name on the headstock and a very slightly different shape to same, it looks identical to an old Gibson. And yes it's .... plywood. Sounds great.

Has there ever been a 335 style guitar (any manufacturer) made of solid wood? I myself haven't ever seen one.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 23, 2014, 10:23:07 AM
Has there ever been a 335 style guitar (any manufacturer) made of solid wood? I myself haven't ever seen one.
bought a Gibson Midtown from a forum member here. Really like it. but I think this. ,fits what you were wonderin
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 23, 2014, 11:30:49 AM
bought a Gibson Midtown from a forum member here. Really like it. but I think this. ,fits what you were wonderin

Would be interesting to know how the sound/tone of this one compares to the traditional laminated ones.  My guess is no appreciable difference in sound, but an improvement in the ergonomic factors as they claim.

Comments on that Andrew?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 23, 2014, 10:23:07 AM

The Collings I-35 has a solid wood carved top. Pricier than a Gibson, but not by that much considering what you get. I'd choose the Collings over a Gibson...but I'm pretty happy with my laminated Yamaha - and it's not laminated maple; I think it's sycamore or birch. Still sounds fantastic.

I just noticed that Collings also has a laminated model, http://www.collingsguitars.com/Instruments/?ID=37
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992