Humidifiers!!!

Started by Danny, November 14, 2014, 02:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 21, 2014, 05:51:58 PM
So the dickweeds people at Taylor have invested in digital hygrometers?   :roll
:+1:

The real issue is whether or not the humidity you provide is correct.  That requires a means to measure and quantify it.  It matters not what device you use to measure it or what mechanism it uses so long as you can be confident that it is giving you a value that is reasonably accurate.  These devices vary considerably in what RH value they report under identical conditions.  Unless you have a way to test the accuracy or calibrate it against a known value, assume it is close enough, and carry on.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Here's my weather station. I've had this for 25 years.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

And it's interesting that Mandolin Bros use analog hygrometers recommended to them by none other than Bob Taylor.

I prefer analog, BUT you have to get a good one.  If someone is spending under $40, they should get a digital as the cheap analogs are terrible.  A good synthetic hair hygrometer is a wonderful thing to have. 

Thx for the chart Bas.  I thought I was compensating correctly by going for 44% at 77° in the summer but realize I went the wrong way (though I'm still safe).
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on November 22, 2014, 04:59:52 PM
And it's interesting that Mandolin Bros use analog hygrometers recommended to them by none other than Bob Taylor.

I prefer analog, BUT you have to get a good one.  If someone is spending under $40, they should get a digital as the cheap analogs are terrible.  A good synthetic hair hygrometer is a wonderful thing to have. 

Thx for the chart Bas.  I thought I was compensating correctly by going for 44% at 77° in the summer but realize I went the wrong way (though I'm still safe).

I use an Abbeon analog hygrometer.  It sells for $205 but is worth it.

For my HVAC work I have a Fluke hygrometer and a Cooper. They also measure temperature and are both considered high quality instruments. I also have many Accurite hygrometers that are very cheap. I check them against the high quality ones and most are very close in their readings. But sometimes one will be way off.
      But they only cost about seven bucks at Walmart.

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 22, 2014, 05:04:23 PM
I use an Abbeon analog hygrometer.  It sells for $205 but is worth it.
Absolutely.  I was able to score mine on eBay for $40 and it's far better than my digital.  Stays accurate throughout the range whereas my digital is accurate at 43% and drifts from there.

I think this is a good time of year to bring this thread back to life if for no other reason than to give the newer members access to the invaluable charts (downloadable) on page 2. 
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Wondered why the hell my studio was smelling like a locker room this past month.  Turns out the filters in my humidifier were STINKY, despite me using humidifier treatment (anti-mold/bacterial). 
Probably time to check calibration on the old analog hair thermometer.  It seems to be even more reliable than my digital one though. 

LOVE this thread! Thanks to all. New D40 owner here fighting low humidity. Put a humidifier in yesterday and have risen only 4-5% from a low of 29! My studio is made of a lot of wood (basically built a cabin inside the room, roof and all... Sweet man-cave) so I'm hoping that's the cause of the slow rise. Maybe once the lumber moistens the air will reflect a rise. Nervous like a new father lol

:donut :ohmy: :crying:

Once your humidifier get's it up to range, the wood walls will help to moderate very much.  But it will likely be slow going raising the level at first. 
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers

I just purchased a Caliber IV hygrometer and the Boneva 32RH kit and it was spot on at 32%.  BTW,  I did the salt test and it showed a reading of 10% low!  Does anyone have experience with the Oasis humidifiers?   I recently purchased one but it only raises the RH inside the case by around 2% from ambient.  Is that the norm?  I'm at about 41% inside and 39% outside, I was hoping to get to around mid-40's inside the case. 

Thanks

Quote from: Bigfish on March 04, 2016, 07:56:21 AM
I just purchased a Caliber IV hygrometer and the Boneva 32RH kit and it was spot on at 32%.  BTW,  I did the salt test and it showed a reading of 10% low!  Does anyone have experience with the Oasis humidifiers?   I recently purchased one but it only raises the RH inside the case by around 2% from ambient.  Is that the norm?  I'm at about 41% inside and 39% outside, I was hoping to get to around mid-40's inside the case.  

Thanks

Oasis are the best.  Are you placing it in the sound hole?  People commonly keep the hygrometer in the tool pocket while the humidifier is in the body and there will of course be differences.  Since there's no airflow in the case so the area immediately around the humidifier is far more moist.

It's interesting to see this thread pop up. I  just got through cleaning and putting my whole house humidifier up for the season.

Yes, I have it hanging off the strings in the soundhole, hygrometer sitting right on top of the soundboard with enough air cushion.  Strange because the Oasis is shrinking like it should after a few days due to evaporation. 

Quote from: Bas on November 18, 2014, 03:07:34 PM
Addition to Mr_LV19E:

I've put the humidity values in a table based on degrees F and C. Just to make sure our precious guitars won't get hurt :cop:.

Update:

The values in the table based on degrees C was slightly off because of the rounding difference between 72 F and 22 C, which is actually 22 2/9 instead of 22. This caused some values to be 1-3 percent off. Sorry about that. Values have been corrected!

I use your charts exclusively! (and have since you first posted them a while back).  They are very good reference to combine temperature and humidity conditions that vary from area to area.  I measure in an open closet, the main guitar room and a living area.  The humidity varies across them all as well as the temperature.  I also find that if I do not humidify equally in both larger rooms, one will have a negative affect on the other...  Good to know your guitar space intimately...
George