Humidifiers!!!

Started by Danny, November 14, 2014, 02:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That would help supposably but I decided to wait for mother nature to turn down air humidity.  :laughin:
If find it a little difficult to control humidity with silica gel and since it was constantly 60% (+/- 3%), I hoped, things would turn better soon. Maybe I should give it a try asap.
Cheers
Tom

Quote from: dependan on November 17, 2014, 01:28:29 PM
Mine is an Air King brand. But after an hour of trying to find filters LASKO is the brand name to use.
    I ordered mine from Graingers  because deep in the heart of Texas no one stocks humidifiers.
ah hah!
Mine is a Lasko. Looks like they spit them out of the same assembly plant with different badges on them, Danny.

Yup and they dropped my air king model.

Thankfully I have a whole house Aprilaire humidifier when needed--which isn't too often.

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 17, 2014, 04:10:32 PM
Thankfully I have a whole house Aprilaire humidifier when needed--which isn't too often.
When I lived in Oklahoma and Missouri I installed a lot of Central A/C humidifiers, including in my house. They require a bit of maintenance but do a great job.

Quote from: dependan on November 17, 2014, 05:08:14 PM
When I lived in Oklahoma and Missouri I installed a lot of Central A/C humidifiers, including in my house. They require a bit of maintenance but do a great job.
Some are better than others I do like the one I have now
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: broKen on November 16, 2014, 12:38:47 PM
We heat with wood, and are surrounded by deciduous forest, half of which is oak. A few days of work provides free heat. Anyway, the guitars are kept in a room away from the burner and is kept cooler, mid to upper sixties. I leave them out year 'round. The lowest I've seen the hygrometer go is the upper thirties. Its only when we get the dry arctic cold blasts that we need a little extra humidity. We are not very far from Kentucky.

I won't go into all the details (info available on links provided) but your room temperature and relative humidity are related. Larrivee assumes a room temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit, thus if your room temp is 65F and your humidity is 35% your actual  humidity relative to 72F is 27%.

Larrivee's low safe range is 42% humidity at 72F, what that means is at a room temp of 65F your hygrometer should not read below 54%. If your room temp is 60F (not uncommon in a basement atmosphere) you would need to keep your hygrometer reading at 64%. 

Lets say your hygrometer  reads 42% and your temp is 60F,  your relative humidity at 72F is only 28%.

Short durations in the extremes are not going to do damage to your guitar so no need to worry about taking your axe out to play in very wet or dry conditions as long as you return it to its case or controlled environment when you are finished playing it.

The Larrivee Web site has some valuable info on "Relative Humidity".

And here is a Temperature/ Relative Humidity Calculator.  On the calculator once you enter your humidity and temp make sure you hit the green calculate button at the bottom, at that point any change you make to humidity or temp will give you instant feedback.

Hope this is helpful info.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 18, 2014, 10:20:31 AM
I won't go into all the details (info available on links provided) but your room temperature and relative humidity are related. Larrivee assumes a room temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit, thus if your room temp is 65F and your humidity is 35% your actual  humidity relative to 72F is 27%.

Larrivee's low safe range is 42% humidity at 72F, what that means is at a room temp of 65F your hygrometer should not read below 54%. If your room temp is 60F (not uncommon in a basement atmosphere) you would need to keep your hygrometer reading at 64%. 

Lets say your hygrometer  reads 42% and your temp is 60F,  your relative humidity at 72F is only 28%.

Short durations in the extremes are not going to do damage to your guitar so no need to worry about taking your axe out to play in very wet or dry conditions as long as you return it to its case or controlled environment when you are finished playing it.

The Larrivee Web site has some valuable info on "Relative Humidity".

And here is a Temperature/ Relative Humidity Calculator.  On the calculator once you enter your humidity and temp make sure you hit the green calculate button at the bottom, at that point any change you make to humidity or temp will give you instant feedback.

Hope this is helpful info.
This is very good information, thanks Roger.

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 18, 2014, 10:20:31 AM
I won't go into all the details (info available on links provided) but your room temperature and relative humidity are related. Larrivee assumes a room temperature of 72 degrees Fahrenheit, thus if your room temp is 65F and your humidity is 35% your actual  humidity relative to 72F is 27% ...

:+1:

Didn't know this. The relative humidity level shown by my stand-alone hygro- and thermometer always seemed to be a bit high but converting the suggested values to an average temperature of 20 degrees celcius - instead of 22 degrees - solved it. Thanks!
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C

That's why I have a combination hygrometer/thermometer/clock array. It's always good to know RH, room temperature and when dinner is ready!  :guitar

Guess I'm missing the clock, haha. Dinner is probably the last thing I'd wish to forget about :beer.
Koch Jupiter 45-C

Quote from: Bas on November 18, 2014, 11:13:17 AM
Guess I'm missing the clock, haha. Dinner is probably the last thing I'd wish to forget about :beer

Fortunately, or not, we also have a seven month old puppy that never lets us forget dinner time.  :beer

Addition to Mr_LV19E:

I've put the humidity values in a table based on degrees F and C. Just to make sure our precious guitars won't get hurt :cop:.

Update:

The values in the table based on degrees C was slightly off because of the rounding difference between 72 F and 22 C, which is actually 22 2/9 instead of 22. This caused some values to be 1-3 percent off. Sorry about that. Values have been corrected!
Koch Jupiter 45-C

:+1:    BAS...  thanks for the chart... a big help... BobW...  :guitar

Nice job BAS, thanks for taking the time to make a chart.

If you printed those up and laminated them I bet you could sell a bunch of them. Very handy to have right near the hygrometer/temp gauge.
Roger

Thanks for those handy lists Bas. If you click on his links, they will save to your computer, by the way.

Glad you guys find them usefull!

See my previous post for an update.
Koch Jupiter 45-C

Regarding digital vs analog hygrometers. I found Taylors view on this interesting.

This statement was taken from the Taylor website, you can read the whole article here.

"To monitor the amount of humidity your guitar is receiving, we recommend the purchase of a digital hygrometer, a device that gauges and provides a read-out of humidity levels. In our experience, analog or needle-style models fall out of calibration easily and can't be trusted. You can find a good digital hygrometer for $20-$30 at music stores, Radio shack, department stores, Amazon.com, or other online retailers. It can be kept in the room where you store your guitars, or, better yet, in a central location inside the guitar case, preferably Velcro'd to the outside of the accessories compartment (facing the heel of the guitar)."
Roger

Humidity is fine now and the OO-40R is back on the wall. I will only have this one out for awhile to play it in and get a better feel for it. I have been enjoying playing it more and more.

So the dickweeds people at Taylor have invested in digital hygrometers?   :roll