Humidifiers!!!

Started by Danny, November 14, 2014, 02:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAQ ie.Indoor Air Quality (dry air) from the heater wringing all the moisture out. I cased up my three Larrivees and the German made Lakewood with case humidifiers.
    "Canadian cold front moving in..." (name that tune :tongue:) We dropped Into the 20 percent readings. So off the walls and into the cases. I had to order a new wicking filter for my whole house humidifier, but it came today and it's running on high. Back up to 38% RH right now.
    Pretty soon my Larrivees will be back on the walls within my reach.

Here's what has humidified the air. I added the air baffle to prevent shortcycling the treated air.

Yeah, Dan, I have to go get a new one.  The old one is bust.  Tomorrow first thing.  Hovering at 35% here.  First time below 40. 

:+1:

All the sudden, it's *that* time of year isn't it?  Just a few days ago it was 70f here in Baltimore.  Today just barely made it out of the 30's!  Already I'm getting that sparkly feel when I take off a sweater or lined hoodie.  Brrrr....

Ed

Alright, I got a piece of crap one at Target for 55 bucks.  1 gallon tank.  I feel ripped off.  Maybe I'm cheap, but it seems like a bunch of plastic with a heating element shouldn't cost 55 dollars.  Vicks, by the way.  I saw the same model on Amazon for 35, put it in my cart, and by the time I returned to the computer, the price had risen to 48.  Anyway, the humidity in this room is reading 45% at the moment.  I guess I shouldn't complain.

This topic came up yesterday when we noticed the indoor RH was 37%.  I always buy more humidifier wicks than I need so I should have some extras on hand.  We've had the same Holmes 1.5 or 2 gallon humidifier for several years.  Had to replace the water tank cap/valve last year but the fan works fine and it doesn't leak. 
The in case humidifiers are used if the room humidifier can't sustain upper 30's on it's own.  I found these in a mom and pop music store.  They're more or less just a 10" piece of perforated vinyl tubing with end caps and a long sponge inside.

I'm up to a comfortable 50% R.H. now. The OO-40R will be back on the wall today.

"Acadian driftwood, gypsy tailwind. They call my home the land of snow."

I started up my humidifier yesterday myself when humidity in my music room showed 30%. Back up to 50% this morning. Cooold here. Dang arctic air. Whatever happened to the global warming?  :laughin:

I guess I'm fortunate in that I don't need to do anything to to protect my guitars from low RH.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on November 16, 2014, 10:11:41 AM
I guess I'm fortunate in that I don't need to do anything to to protect my guitars from low RH.

That peaks my curiosity. Why not BroKen? You're in an area where you must be heating your house this time of year. No?  

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 16, 2014, 09:55:42 AM
"Acadian driftwood, gypsy tailwind. They call my home the land of snow."

I started up my humidifier yesterday myself when humidity in my music room showed 30%. Back up to 50% this morning. Cooold here. Dang arctic air. Whatever happened to the global warming?  :laughin:
My favorite Band song, among all the wonderful Band songs.
I haven't fired up 110v humidifier yet but the sponge and soap boxes are in the cases again.
Heading down to Alabama Wednesday. (Never been to Alabama before.)

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 16, 2014, 10:14:37 AM
That peaks my curiosity. Why not BroKen? You're in an area where you must be heating your house this time of year. No?  

We heat with wood, and are surrounded by deciduous forest, half of which is oak. A few days of work provides free heat. Anyway, the guitars are kept in a room away from the burner and is kept cooler, mid to upper sixties. I leave them out year 'round. The lowest I've seen the hygrometer go is the upper thirties. Its only when we get the dry arctic cold blasts that we need a little extra humidity. We are not very far from Kentucky.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Queequeg on November 16, 2014, 10:19:40 AM
My favorite Band song, among all the wonderful Band songs.
I haven't fired up 110v humidifier yet but the sponge and soap boxes are in the cases again.
Heading down to Alabama Wednesday. (Never been to Alabama before.)
one of my favorite Band songs as well.

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 16, 2014, 01:12:28 PM
Some interesting info.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/annual-average-humidity-by-state.php

http://www.shorstmeyer.com/wxfaqs/humidity/rh.html

Gives a good overview of conditions OUTSIDE.  That's only part of the equation though.  Regions that are cold enough to require running a furnace for part of the year will likely have indoor RH values too dry for guitars during those periods.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on November 17, 2014, 02:25:21 AM
Gives a good overview of conditions OUTSIDE.  That's only part of the equation though.  Regions that are cold enough to require running a furnace for part of the year will likely have indoor RH values too dry for guitars during those periods.
Yup, my first post starts with IAQ, INDOOR AIR QUALITY. It can be fresh and wonderful outside but some homes will have toxic IAQ.

I have found the only accurate hygrometer to be the Abbeon analog models.  I have tested its accuracy using Humidipaks.  It is far more accurate than the cheaper digital hygrometers.

Looks like I have the same make & model humidifier that you have, Danny.
Yeah, the outdoor RH is only significant if you keep your guitars outside.
Here in my home town, the outdoor RH today is 69%
Inside my little cabana the RH this morning was 33% when I left for the jute mill.

My guitars are still waiting for some cool and dry air. With around 60% the last 3 to 4 months, they have a little swelling on the top.
Cheers
Tom

Quote from: Orpheus on November 17, 2014, 01:20:58 PM
My guitars are still waiting for some cool and dry air. With around 60% the last 3 to 4 months, they have a little swelling on the top.
That doesn't sound good. Maybe some silica paks would help.

Quote from: Queequeg on November 17, 2014, 12:19:45 PM
Looks like I have the same make & model humidifier that you have, Danny.
Yeah, the outdoor RH is only significant if you keep your guitars outside.
Here in my home town, the outdoor RH today is 69%
Inside my little cabana the RH this morning was 33% when I left for the jute mill.
Mine is an Air King brand. But after an hour of trying to find filters LASKO is the brand name to use.
    I ordered mine from Graingers  because deep in the heart of Texas no one stocks humidifiers.