Change to For Sale Board Rules

Started by Queequeg, November 13, 2014, 11:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

After some discussion, the mods have reached agreement regarding eBay listings.
Effective immediately:
Links to eBay are not to be posted here on the For Sale board. No eBay links on the For Sale Board.

It is in keeping with a pre-existing rule which states:
All items for sale must have a price.  No best offers, etc.  This is not the place for an auction.

Thank you all for you attention to this change.

Quote from: Queequeg on November 13, 2014, 11:16:57 AM
After some discussion, the mods have reached agreement regarding eBay listings.
Effective immediately:
Links to eBay are not to be posted here on the For Sale board. No eBay links on the For Sale Board.

It is in keeping with a pre-existing rule which states:
All items for sale must have a price.  No best offers, etc.  This is not the place for an auction.

Thank you all for you attention to this change.

So what's the best way to direct forumites to a possible good deal or particularly nice guitar on eBay? If I see a guitar on eBay that may be interesting, can I notify the forum and arrange another method, ie. pm, to point someone in the right direction or is any directing to eBay verboten? 

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 13, 2014, 12:50:10 PM
So what's the best way to direct forumites to a possible good deal or particularly nice guitar on eBay? If I see a guitar on eBay that may be interesting, can I notify the forum and arrange another method, ie. pm, to point someone in the right direction or is any directing to eBay verboten?  
Good question, duck.
If it is a Larrivee guitar and you are not the seller, you can post an "interesting eBay item" on the Larrivee board. If it is a non-Larrivee guitar, post a link on the Other Guitar Makers board.
If you are selling a guitar, you can start a thread with a new post on the For Sale board here, with a sale price.
The word "auction" is where we ran aground here recently.

I've never linked to eBay, myself, but I was trying to get things straight for those who might.  :beer

Hey Mods!
I for one think this is a good move.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Same here.  This is appreciated. 

Ed

Seems like you could put a simple statement like 'no reasonable offers refused' or something similar at the end of your axe list and if another forumite was interested in purchasing, they could PM you.

Would that violate the rules?
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on November 13, 2014, 07:41:53 PM
Seems like you could put a simple statement like 'no reasonable offers refused' or something similar at the end of your axe list and if another forumite was interested in purchasing, they could PM you.

Would that violate the rules?
yes, in fact that would violate the rules.

Know what I think?

This should be a sticky thread that stay's up top.

:winkin:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 14, 2014, 08:42:31 PM
Know what I think?

This should be a sticky thread that stay's up top.

:winkin:
Agreed.
Thank you for suggesting this, Mikeymac.

Thanks for the clarity and I appreciate the decision.

I'd be happier if you banned links to sales on eBay ... period.  No public service announcements, or gee ain't that in'neresting. If I want to look a eBay, I'll look at eBay.   

Quote from: ST on November 16, 2014, 12:16:18 PM
Thanks for the clarity and I appreciate the decision.

I'd be happier if you banned links to sales on eBay ... period.  No public service announcements, or gee ain't that in'neresting. If I want to look a eBay, I'll look at eBay.   

I disagree with banning those kind of links altogether.  I think the right decision was made.  Let's just eliminate them as part of any for sale or for trade thread, as has been done.  The "gee ain't that interesting" threads are an entirely different thing and are often, in fact, interesting.  Those posts often generate good discussion on the finer points of Larrivee guitars,  the variations in appointments, their value, etc.

A good example is Tuba Mikes topic about a supposed OM-03 for sale on ebay that he linked us to today.  I learned something from that thread.  I recently posted a link to an ad on Kijiji for an OM-03 that I was considering buying.  I did it to solicit advice and comments on whether I should go ahead with the purchase.  I would not have been able to do that if such links were banned altogether.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

The mods have come to this conclusion for their own reason and we respect that.

this issue is not solely eBay based.
it's Craigs list, & kijiji ( Canada) and in fact any and all sites where Larrivee owners might be looking for interesting Larrivee guitars (as I do).

I have been guilty (as have others) of seeing something interesting that I thought I would share for anyone else to see if they might be looking for such a guitar.
so is the rule just eBay or ALL links to ALL listings out side of the forum?

could one say "saw a very lovely, unique JCL instrument on a Seattle site yesterday"?

or "somebody is selling a 1967 JCL Classical guitar in Toronto for $500"?

(you get the drift...)

might a "survey" asking forum members about this topic have been an option?

Sorry if I've missed something obvious here....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on November 25, 2017, 11:18:02 PM
The mods have come to this conclusion for their own reason and we respect that.

this issue is not solely eBay based.
it's Craigs list, & kijiji ( Canada) and in fact any and all sites where Larrivee owners might be looking for interesting Larrivee guitars (as I do).

I have been guilty (as have others) of seeing something interesting that I thought I would share for anyone else to see if they might be looking for such a guitar.
so is the rule just eBay or ALL links to ALL listings out side of the forum?

could one say "saw a very lovely, unique JCL instrument on a Seattle site yesterday"?

or "somebody is selling a 1967 JCL Classical guitar in Toronto for $500"?

(you get the drift...)

might a "survey" asking forum members about this topic have been an option?

Sorry if I've missed something obvious here....
Hi Kevin not sure what prompted your post to a topic that is 3 years old.

For some clarity, seems you might be confusing the For Sale Board with other boards. The ban is only to the For Sale Board (as title indicates).

For example if you see an interesting Larrivee somewhere else  Ebay, Kijiji etc nothing is stopping anyone from creating a link in Larrivee Guitars for discussions as many have done in the last 3 years - its just not appropriate in the For Sale Section
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

just in from splitting firewood, I guess my brain had a freeze up.
thanks.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

To the Mods:

Should this also include no links to Reverb sales? They aren't auctions - a price is always listed (and buyers are free to make lower offers).

Just curious if there should be some clarity about this in the original (four year old!) post, since Reverb has become so popular for musicians (I've bought and sold more gear there than on e-bay/craigslist/etc.).

Thank you!

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 12, 2018, 11:38:46 AM
To the Mods:

Should this also include no links to Reverb sales? They aren't auctions - a price is always listed (and buyers are free to make lower offers).

Just curious if there should be some clarity about this in the original (four year old!) post, since Reverb has become so popular for musicians (I've bought and sold more gear there than on e-bay/craigslist/etc.).
Hi Mike - you may be over thinking this. To essentially steal Queequeg words above and add a little of my own:

If it is a Larrivee guitar and you are not the seller, you can post an "interesting eBay/Reverb item" on the Larrivee board. If it is a non-Larrivee guitar, post a link on the Other Guitar Makers board.
If you are selling a guitar, you can start a thread with a new post on the For Sale board here, with a sale price and link anywhere you like be it Reverb or EBay so long as your post has met the rules highlighted in the previous sentence.

Clear as mud  :laughin:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

If a guitar is listed on the sale site and is listed on Reverb by the owner, can a link to Reverb be included in the post? I read through all the conversation, and I'm still not sure...I don't want to do anything inappropriate. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it YOUR guitar?
OK.
But post the price here too, just to be extra nice.

Thank you Queequeg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk