Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ed Bond Halcyon Flamed Walnut AJ  (Read 1873 times)
Gary787

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »

I have received my Halcyon AJ built by former Larrivee Vancouver employee Ed Bond.

Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ
Gary787

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:57:43 PM »

Beautiful guitar. The flamed walnut is actually stunning in person. Straight out the box I was quite surprised how physically light this guitar is compared to L03R. Once tuned to pitch the sound is very appealing. I don't do well with tone adjectives but its easy to say I am incredibly impressed. I like black ebony tuner knobs so I thought I would take this one step further and I had Ed install black Schaller tuners. I wasn't so sure about my decision when i saw the pictures but I really like them in person. At any rate its a great custom guitar at a phenomenal price.and it compliments my L03R which Ed had a hand in as well.  

Bas

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »

Congrats! The flamed walnut looks really great!

Enjoy!

Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Taylor GS "Bottleneck" Mini-e RW (2014)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition ⊷ Little Green Wonder, Sweet Honey Overdrive & Silver Spring Reverb
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »

His prices are very reasonable (assuming his website is current). What other extras did you order besides the walnut b/s and black tuners?Fretboard wood, etc.? How does the AJ compare in size/shape to the Larrivee L?

I find it curious though that he says his guitars are built for "light strings only."

Tell us more about the tone and volume of yours...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Gary787

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:59:59 PM »

I got an ebony fret board and bridge. The headstock veneer is lasered out of the same piece of walnut as well. I am lousy at tone adjectives but here goes,  it is very much like a Gibson sound to me and the volume is surprising. The guitar cuts through noise and stands out where as my Larrivee L03R compliments everything around it. ( I did warn you I am lousy at tone description ) all in all it's a wonderful instrument from a genuine Canadian nice guy. I am proud to own it.

ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »

Looks nice.  I was wondering how Halcyon guitars differed from the Larrivee styles--what the builder borrowed, what he changed in his own builds.  Sounds like "lighter" is part of the equation.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 01:24:31 AM »

I've got a  fret padauk/lutz 000 on order. I'm expecting it soon...maybe by the end of the year. Seeing other's finished guitars is whetting my appetite.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 04:23:36 AM »

Looks great. AJ is Gibsons "Advanced Jumbo". Is that what this AJ model is? About the size of a J-45.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: