New to Forum - New Owner L-03 Walnut

Started by Porch Swing Picker, November 09, 2014, 06:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark here from Wichita. I am new to the Larrivee Forum and have my first Larrivee guitar arriving later this week. It is a Canadian made L-03 Walnut model. I was wondering if there are Walnut models being made in the US and if so, what differences are there from the Canadian builds, if any. I have been a Tacoma Guitar player for about 10 years, love their quality of build and their marvelous tone. I have played several Larrivees and the L-03 seemed to really offer something different than my Tacoma small jumbo and parlor models. Would appreciate any feedback on the walnut tone woods and the L-03 model in general.
Larrivee OM-09
Santa Cruz OM/PW
Tacoma EAR-51C
Tacoma PKK-40
Tacoma PR-18Ltd
Tacoma 1820
Taylor 512C

Hi Mark. I have a walnut/sitka slope dred that is an outstanding strummer. I think you will like the L. I doubt there is any appreciable difference in Canadian made to US made Larrivees. All are according to JCL.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Porch Swing Picker on November 09, 2014, 06:31:41 PM
Mark here from Wichita. I am new to the Larrivee Forum and have my first Larrivee guitar arriving later this week. It is a Canadian made L-03 Walnut model. I was wondering if there are Walnut models being made in the US and if so, what differences are there from the Canadian builds, if any.
:welcome: Mark.

The L-03 is a nice guitar  :thumbsup  and walnut  :drool:

Differences; there are none!

Once again  :welcome:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

:welcome: to the Forum, Mark. An L03, no matter what the wood combination is, is a great guitar... period. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Larrivee has made many guitars with "walnut" over the years.

Black Walnut - Juglans nigra (usually nice straight grain with very little figure)
Claro Walnut - Juglans hindsii (often very pretty with lots of flame)
Peruvian Walnut - Juglans Neotropica (South American walnut used on many newer isntruments)

Possibly others.

Personally I prefer the sonic properties of Black Walnut.

I own a lv-03 peruvian walnut body and sitka top which I bought a few months back, all I can say is I like it a lot for the sound and  beautiful satin body. :nana_guitar

Hi Mark and welcome. A Larrivee L is a fine instrument regardless of back and side wood. I have a question for you. Where's my  :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :coffee 

H Mark and Welcome.  You know what goes great with the L-body?  Donuts!  But on a serious note, I played an L-03W last week and loved the sound.  Great warmth and depth.  I was able to compare it to a hog back OM, and all hog OO and a rosewood back LV-19.  That was a nice opportunity to hear the different tone woods.  All in all, I think a walnut back-and-sides would make a great addition to any collection.  Send pics when you get it.
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Hi everybody,

I am new to Forum. That`s me, Olaf2014, from Germany - small village near Hannover.

I bought my first Larrivee Western guitar seven days ago. It is a OM-03 Swamp Ash. I wasn`t out for a limited Swamp Ash model. I planned to by a OM-03R or the new OM-30 Rosewood. I was able to compare them at the Dealer and they also were excellent guitars. My Little comparison took me five hours - listening to an excellent musician and playing by myself (what a poor technique so far, I am used to Play classical guitars and classic Literatur.

In my very personally view and also in the view of this Kind musician at the store the swamp ash model was best in tonality in various techniques (fingerstyle, strumming, flat picking , Pop Songs, blues and jazz).

What is your opinion on this guitar? Is there anyone who Plays a OM-03 Swamp Ash or an other OM-03 Modell?

I like mine al lot!  :nana_guitar :wave

Welcome, I have a special edition Bubinga L03. Special edition Larrivee's may be the most interesting exotic guitars for the money. Must company's reserve special editions for top end models. 
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

I play a custom LS03 from Wildwood, in Italian spruce over Peruvian walnut.  This is a great guitar. Very warm and powerful sounding, especially for a smaller bodied guitar.  Have played a few walnut Gibsons that I like as well.  I think it is a great tone wood.

RB

I was just listening to comparisons I did with the L-03 Peruvian Walnut I had for a short time last year and, man, was that a sweet sounding guitar.  Such a beautiful sparkle in the top end.  Like my Mahogany L but even more clear and crisp.  Very dry, clean midrange with such a great personality.  Bass was a little thumpy for me but I'm really, really picky when it comes to bass.  I really wish I could have kept that guitar but there was a dealer issue and I had to send it back on principle.  The Walnut knocked me out though and I hope to have a walnut jumbo built at some point. 

BTW, I recently found out Peru Walnut makes great furniture too!  I just covered my kitchen pass-though with a beautiful slab I finished myself.  What a chocolately sheen.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Congrats! Do post pics when you receive it. :smile:

Quote from: AZLiberty on November 09, 2014, 10:27:58 PM
Larrivee has made many guitars with "walnut" over the years.

Black Walnut - Juglans nigra (usually nice straight grain with very little figure)
Claro Walnut - Juglans hindsii (often very pretty with lots of flame)
Peruvian Walnut - Juglans Neotropica (South American walnut used on many newer isntruments)

Possibly others.

Personally I prefer the sonic properties of Black Walnut.

African Walnut - Coula edulis - not a true walnut, but does look like it.  Larrivee make some -03s and a few very nice OM09's with cedar tops and this wood.

I have an Austrian walnut OM.  LOVE IT.

welcome to the group and congrats on a great guitar!   :welcome:
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass