Favorite Accessories

Started by WileE, November 02, 2014, 03:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on November 10, 2014, 01:30:00 PM
I'll post some pics later today.  Gotta run a few errands this afternoon including going to Wal-Mart to snap up a few replacement filters for my sunbeam room humidifier.  They sell out quickly this time of year and it's hard to find more later.

Come to think of it, my little humidifier is also an essential accessory that I didn't mention earlier.

Kurt

As promised, a pic of my homemade fret levelling files.  P120 self stick sandpaper on one side and P220 on the opposite side.  Only issue is when the sandpaper wears out and you have to replace it, there is residue stuck to the metal.  I just scrape it off with a scraper best as I can and slap on a new piece.  Works great for me.  Not as fast as an actual file, but not as aggressive either which is most times a good thing.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Thanks!  Those are great and way less expensive than the StewMac equivalents.  I have been using this StewMac Fret Dressing Stick for several years.  It works well but I could use a longer version as well.
Larrivee 00-40R

I have those in two sizes; 1/4" wide and 1/2".  I use the narrow one along the frets lengthwise after I level them, then crown them with my fret-crowning files.  I didn't get my sanding sticks from Stewmac since we sell them where I work.  I filed a round groove in the middle of the tip of mine with a small round file.  That way, the sandpaper deflects over the fret when you press it down and better matches the round top of the fret.  If you do this, a guard on each side of the fret is a must or you will definitely scratch the fingerboard no matter how careful you are.  After I sand the crowns smooth, I follow up with very fine micro-mesh pads to really shine them up.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar