Would you buy a Fourm Jumbo? Please vote!

Started by B0WIE, October 31, 2014, 04:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please check all that apply (multiple votes accepted)

Yes, in Walnut.
9 (64.3%)
Yes, in Maple.
5 (35.7%)
Yes, in Rosewood.
3 (21.4%)
Yes, in Mahogany.
4 (28.6%)
Yes, but a different back wood (please describe).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 28, 2015, 03:03:34 PM

I'd like to see if we have enough interest to get a new Larrivee Forum guitar built, this time in Jumbo!  For those who haven't had the privilege, Larrivee made some incredible Jumbos.  I've played them in Rosewood and Maple and they both sounded huge but not too boomy or bass-heavy.  Great articulation and shimmer.  Larrivee doesn't make these commonly and getting a special edition of a special edition would be pretty... um.. special.

If this doesn't interest you, no need to vote as we just need to gauge how many Jumbo buyers we would have.  PLEASE check all of the boxes that apply to you.  You can modify your vote if needed.  If there is enough interest we can work out the details in terms of features, etc.  If you have an opinion on top words, binding, etc, please share.
Thanks.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I would love to own another Larrivee Jumbo,I had a J05 that was a monster for both volumn and tone's.Alas I have no money for one,that said I have played all the basic wood's.Rosewood was nice but the hog was much better,maple is always a fav.Walnut would be interesting if its any help.Satin finish or gloss doesn't matter.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

With the caveat that I would have to sell something else to afford it, yes I would be interested in a Jumbo.

My preference would be for Walnut, followed by Maple or Rosewood.

Uh...would this walnut jumbo happen to be a 12 fret?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I voted and I might be interested in a jumbo forum guitar if it was truly special.
But if this project ultimately evolves into yet another -03 forum guitar I would not be placing an order for a guitar such as that.

There is not a "No" option.  I don't know if it matters but if asking the question I feel there should be a "no" column.  As it is, you can't tell if those not voting just aren't interested enough to cast a vote, don't see a combo or parameter to it that interests them or if the majority of forum members would not want a jumbo.  I am curious about the jumbos and would be interested in playing one and have seen some very nice specimens for sale on the "net" at some very good prices.  As a forum guitar though, I would not be interested. 
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Quote from: Tuba Mike on November 03, 2014, 06:54:50 AM
There is not a "No" option.  I don't know if it matters but if asking the question I feel there should be a "no" column.  As it is, you can't tell if those not voting just aren't interested enough to cast a vote, don't see a combo or parameter to it that interests them or if the majority of forum members would not want a jumbo.  I am curious about the jumbos and would be interested in playing one and have seen some very nice specimens for sale on the "net" at some very good prices.  As a forum guitar though, I would not be interested.  
I didn't include it because I didn't think it was helpful to the discussion.  We only need to find how many would like one in order to create a Forum guitar.  A no column just seemed negative.  Since no one else is actively trying to put together a different Forum, I didn't think I was stepping on any toes.

Quote from: broKen on November 01, 2014, 10:51:16 PM
Uh...would this walnut jumbo happen to be a 12 fret?

I'm curious what you would gain from a 12-fret jumbo? It should already have enough bass...which is a common reason for building a 12-fret model (moving the bridge closer to the center of the lower bout).

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 03, 2014, 02:13:59 PM
I'm curious what you would gain from a 12-fret jumbo? It should already have enough bass...which is a common reason for building a 12-fret model (moving the bridge closer to the center of the lower bout).

I'd have to agree.  My 14 fret Larrivee jumbo plays as easy with 13's as my L and D with 12s.  So, I don't know that less tension is necessary.  Even in maple, this jumbo has major bass.  12 fret may be too boomy for me.  I'm just speculating though and maybe there's another consideration I'm not thinking about.

Quote from: B0WIE on November 03, 2014, 12:56:05 PM
I didn't include it because I didn't think it was helpful to the discussion.  We only need to find how many would like one in order to create a Forum guitar.  A no column just seemed negative.  Since no one else is actively trying to put together a different Forum, I didn't think I was stepping on any toes.
While I am a NO as well. Believe me when I say that you have your work cut out for you. Most of us who are Larrivee enthusiasts
know exactly what we want. So the opinions are very much written in stone. (Think Adamant).
       Therefore the next Forum guitar will need to be extremely attractive and will require Jean, John or Matthew to be involved, either directly or through a dealer willing to work hard enough that this succeeds.  Jason from Notable could be just that person.
        It is like cooking a great meal. You need the right ingredients, but you also need a few good chefs. :donut

Quote from: dependan on November 03, 2014, 04:00:26 PM
         It is like cooking a great meal. You need the right ingredients, but you also need a few good chefs. :donut

Or one good chef and 12 people willing to try the dish.   :wave

Another NO because jumbo's are too big for me, but always interested in what the group collectively comes up with.

Ed

Quote from: eded on November 03, 2014, 04:06:42 PM
Or one good chef and 12 people willing to try the dish.   :wave

Another NO because jumbo's are too big for me, but always interested in what the group collectively comes up with.

Ed
You are correct there. The Forum IV was really just a little Larrivee that I wanted bad. But in the end twenty eight other forum members wanted it as well,
      But without Jim Holler from Trinity Guitars we would not have the F-IV.

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 03, 2014, 02:13:59 PM

Hi Mike. In a word,  ergonomics. Specifically,  a twelve fret neck moves the nut closer to the player, thus less reach for us smaller guys. What's the distance from the twelfth fret to the fourteenth?  That's what's gained.

Quote from: B0WIE on November 03, 2014, 03:39:35 PM
I'd have to agree.  My 14 fret Larrivee jumbo plays as easy with 13's as my L and D with 12s.  So, I don't know that less tension is necessary.  Even in maple, this jumbo has major bass.  12 fret may be too boomy for me.  I'm just speculating though and maybe there's another consideration I'm not thinking about.

Hi Bowie. A twelve fret neck does not change the scale length,  so string tension would remain the same.
Pain is a good thing

The main thing you get from a Larrivee 12 fret neck is that the bridge sit in the middle of the lower bout.On my OM 12 fret I have more volumn and stronger bass responce.My J05 had all with a 14 fretneck.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: broKen on November 03, 2014, 08:31:55 PM
Hi Mike. In a word,  ergonomics. Specifically,  a twelve fret neck moves the nut closer to the player, thus less reach for us smaller guys. What's the distance from the twelfth fret to the fourteenth?  That's what's gained.

Hi Bowie. A twelve fret neck does not change the scale length,  so string tension would remain the same.

Plus it's traditional.  All of the other forum guitars have been 12 fretts.

Am I right that the guitar began its existence with 12 fret necks till the 40's?
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on November 03, 2014, 11:08:39 PM
Am I right that the guitar began its existence with 12 fret necks till the 40's?
Martin began making dreads for Gene Autry (D-45) in 1933, a 12 fret model. Then in 1934 they began the 14 fret dread. The 14 fret Martin dread became the most copied guitar in history. Also Gene Autry's 1933 D-45 is regarded as "the most valuable American made guitar in existence."
    Of course they began dreads even earlier for Ditson stores but not top of the line ones. Those were 12 fret models.

I checked a guitar book and both Gibson and Martin were making 14 fret guitars in the very early 1930's. Gibson had a 15 fret in 1916.
The D-45 started in 1933, but Martin was making other 14 fret guitars before that and Gibson's SJ-100 and 200, as well as the J-45 were early thirties.

edited

Quote from: AZLiberty on November 03, 2014, 10:45:50 PM
Plus it's traditional.  All of the other forum guitars have been 12 fretts.

Of course you mean all the forum acoustic guitars.  The exception would be the forum V (a totally different animal).   :wave

It looks like you have a dozen interested.  A good start, for sure.  Now the fun starts as Dan has suggested.  I'm a no for the jumbo option, but am rooting for getting this off the ground.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Sure, if I win a lottery. Otherwise, I'm retired from guitar buying, as well. I would have to sell some stuff and that's not happening.  I guess that's a no, then.  :beer

I think a Jumbo 8 string or baritone would be interesting.  I will mention the name T@ylor here only because one of the most interesting acoustic guitars I have played in the past 18 months was an 8 string T@yl0r baritone at Gruhn guitars in Nashville.

It's a 6 string baritone with the middle two strings having an octave there as well.  I wouldn't have expected to like it, but it was a very usable tone combination.  If you wanted just a straight-up 6 string, you can leave off those strings.  With the jumbo aspect, you could rock out the bass notes with authority and have drive and shimmer with the remaining strings.

I know there's lots of T@yl0r dissing here, and I have no great love for them, but this one was a real gem and encouraging to actually play something that was not just another flavor of something else.  Real variety there.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud