Hmmm.... small budget searching

Started by eded, October 30, 2014, 08:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm not soliciting, just musing.  A nurse friend does (extensive) work in Haiti in a spinal injury center.  She has a young boy there who wants to play guitar so another friend and I are going to pick a guitar to buy and let her take.  I've just done some online searches in the $150-$250 range.  Today I'll go look at what I can get my hands on.  I'll be able to do a little setup on it (when I mentioned that, the other buddy who is contributing asked what setup was  :ohmy:).  I haven't looked at cheap guitars for quite a while.  Eh, I guess any excuse to go to the guitar store is a good excuse.   :smile:

I guess if anyone has any specific suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Ed

Look at the Yamaha FG series-I have had mine for 30+ years. They are still available. It is a smaller body folk guitar.

Quote from: Marauder on October 30, 2014, 08:31:49 AM
Look at the Yamaha FG series-I have had mine for 30+ years. They are still available. It is a smaller body folk guitar.

Actually, 2 guitars at the $199 mark struck me as better than the rest.  One was a FG700S, the other was an 0 size Recording King.  Both solid spruce tops.  The Yamaha laminated back and sides and the Recording King one composite material (I'll have to do some research).  Thanks for the suggestion.

Ed

I'll second the motion on Yamaha FG series.  Also, any of the Godin family of guitars would be a good choice as well (Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, Norman, Seagull).  Nice gesture and good luck in your search.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Ed,
Just wondering if you came up with a guitar and which one you chose.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

We ended up with a Yamaha FG730S.  Solid top, laminated rosewood back and sides.  We got a hard case and I had picks, a capo, extra strings, and a chord book to throw in the case.  It should be in Haiti sometime today.  I wish the kid a lot of luck.

Ed

Quote from: eded on November 14, 2014, 06:11:48 AM
We ended up with a Yamaha FG730S.  Solid top, laminated rosewood back and sides.  We got a hard case and I had picks, a capo, extra strings, and a chord book to throw in the case.  It should be in Haiti sometime today.  I wish the kid a lot of luck.

Ed

Ed, I did something similar back in 2010 when I went on a mission trip to Peru with Compassion International.  A friend of mine that has a simply amazing sounding small body Gibson from the late 50's/early 60's does this for every mission trip that he went on.

I wrote a blog about it - http://missiontripguitar.blogspot.com/

Might I challenge anyone reading this forum with an extra axe in their list that is not being used - there's a soul somewhere in the world that could use that axe, and there are many ways for your extra to become someone's treasured instrument.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud