History of The Eagles

Started by ducktrapper, October 23, 2014, 07:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I once paid a fellow $50 to eject Hotel California from a juke box. That was at least 20 years ago. I don't care to ever hear that song again. Among several others.

It's a wonderful song to play as an instrumental, you'd be surprised......
imagine no body singing!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Did you know?.....I read a great book on the history of country rock. It ended about the time of the Eagles. Can't remember name but you can probably get it at Sierra records still..  Anyway.. Half the Eagles were from Texas and rockers.. They were starving in L.A. and actually started out planning on being an almost heavy metal type band. Along the lines of Led Zepplin and the early 70's thing. But they were sitting around a hotel room or before a show or something and playing acoustics and singing and the record company, I think David Geffin in particular. Said "That's what we're going to record!"
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I just caught up with the thread and it looks like I'm in the minority because I do love the Eagles and never get tired of their songs. I didn't grow up with them when they started, but I did grow up with them in a way because they are my dad's favorite band. I really enjoyed the documentary, and I can definitely see why there is some backlash against Glenn Frey and Don Henley. I feel neutral about it, I don't see them being as horrible as some people describe them, I see them more so as people that had a dream that they went after and weren't going to let anything get in the way. It's unfortunate that they stepped on some people along the way. I liked seeing a "behind the scenes" look at the band and hearing about their concepts and the stories behind their album covers.

The Eagles hold a special place in my heart, and some of their songs mean a lot to me as well.

On another note, I was really wanting to read Neil Young (another one of my all time favorites) and Graham Nash's autobiographies, interesting to hear that some weren't fans of the books. I don't think it's any surprise though that Neil Young may an abrasive personality that others might not like.

I also really loved the footage of Linda Ronstadt (she's amazing!) and Jackson Browne. The story of hearing him play the same song and line over and over again was funny.

You're not in the minority for liking the Eagles. I started the thread and definitely like the Eagles' music. I just came away from the documentary not liking Henley and, especially, Frey all that much.  :beer 

I was thinking about this documentary today and one thing that I liked was when Frey was telling Randy Misner (I think) that fans come out and pay money to see them perform certain songs and that even if they didn't feel like playing it they owe it to the fans. Of course, he went about it in a mean way, but I liked how he showed consideration for the fans. When I saw them on their History of the Eagles tour, they were definitely a polished, professional, well oiled machine. I do go back and forth on this, because I like when artists get on stage and do their own thing. It seems organic and as if you're watching them think through their creative process. However, I do appreciate the on stage professionalism of the Eagles and how put together they were. I guess him thinking about what the fans wanted to hear made him seem less arrogant.

Quote from: headsup on December 11, 2014, 11:32:32 PM
It's a wonderful song to play as an instrumental, you'd be surprised......
imagine no body singing!

Kevin, I agree.  The bass line in that song is what I like the best, especially.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

One thing I do not like about the Eagles live show is that they play the songs note for note like the record versions.  One thing I loved about CSNY was that they improvised and played longer versions in their live shows.  Long Time Gone and Wooden Ships from 4 Way Street were live masterpieces.

Quote from: dependan on December 11, 2014, 12:58:35 PM
I once paid a fellow $50 to eject Hotel California from a juke box. That was at least 20 years ago. I don't care to ever hear that song again. Among several others.

Just a little anecdote about songs you're tired of hearing:    Back in the late 80s I went to a Little Feat concert where Craig Fuller of Pure Prairie League had begun to take over most of the vocals.   He introduced himself and said "I joined up with these guys 'cause  I coundn't stand to play "Amy" one more time"

As for the Eagles, I don't know if I've mentioned it before but one of the best concerts I every attended was the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt and Jimmy Buffet on one bill.   This was at about the time Hotel Calif. was released.   The live version of the song was a masterpiece. And Linda in her girl scout uniform was lookin' good in her prime

Quote from: Walkerman on February 13, 2015, 11:51:12 AM
One thing I do not like about the Eagles live show is that they play the songs note for note like the record versions.  One thing I loved about CSNY was that they improvised and played longer versions in their live shows.  Long Time Gone and Wooden Ships from 4 Way Street were live masterpieces.

It's funny how that works...  I love old 70's prog rock (ok, that has put me on many peoples lists already, for those still reading, carry on  :laughin:).  One thing I loved about bands like Genesis (Peter Gabriel era) and Gentle Giant (among others) was how they played live note for note what was on the album.  That was not what I was hoping for when I was going to see Johnny Winter or Marshall Tucker Band, though.

Ed

I've always kind of thought that if a band in concert is going to do note for note renditions of its albums, you might as well stay home and listen with your headphones on and look at pictures on the album sleeves. Cheaper.

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 13, 2015, 01:36:44 PM
I've always kind of thought that if a band in concert is going to do note for note renditions of its albums, you might as well stay home and listen with your headphones on and look at pictures on the album sleeves. Cheaper.

When I go to see the orchestra play a specific piece, I expect it to be done as it is written.  It's (almost) always better than any recording.

There is some music I like better played as written and some I prefer interpreted on the spot.

Ed

I think the non-musicians in the crowd (especially) want to hear it "like it is on the record."  They want to sing along and be tugged at and emotionally stirred at all the right parts, just like happens at home when they listen.  The bands that stick to such formulas know what they are doing. 

Side note: I could go the rest of my life, and probably ten more lifetimes, never hearing Hotel California again and I'd be ok with that. 

Quote from: Caleb on February 13, 2015, 05:38:21 PM
Side note: I could go the rest of my life, and probably ten more lifetimes, never hearing Hotel California again and I'd be ok with that. 
Amen

Quote from: eded on February 13, 2015, 02:16:47 PM
When I go to see the orchestra play a specific piece, I expect it to be done as it is written.  It's (almost) always better than any recording.

There is some music I like better played as written and some I prefer interpreted on the spot.

Ed

Quote from: Caleb on February 13, 2015, 05:38:21 PM
I think the non-musicians in the crowd (especially) want to hear it "like it is on the record."  They want to sing along and be tugged at and emotionally stirred at all the right parts, just like happens at home when they listen.  The bands that stick to such formulas know what they are doing. 

Both very good points. Sometimes I think there are some bands that should stay with the original versions and some can improvise and switch it up and it's amazing. When I go to a concert and the artist sticks with the original version and doesn't switch it up, I leave thinking that was a great show and they sounded amazing. When I leave a concert where the artist switched it up and it wasn't the original, I leave with my mind blown if it was done well. Listening back to live albums and hearing changes in the original, I always think "that must have been incredible to witness in person".

Quote from: dependan on February 13, 2015, 07:43:48 PM
   Amen

Yeah, but The Last Resort, from the same album, tells a story I never get tired of hearing.

After all this time, I like 'New Kid In Town'. Good song.

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 10, 2015, 09:02:45 AM
You're not in the minority for liking the Eagles. I started the thread and definitely like the Eagles' music. I just came away from the documentary not liking Henley and, especially, Frey all that much.  :beer 

And there's the problem with too much information.
the songs or the music didn't change a bit, but after we get to know the personalities, we change.
go figure.
ignorance is bliss :thumbsup
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on February 16, 2015, 01:28:32 PM

And there's the problem with too much information.
the songs or the music didn't change a bit, but after we get to know the personalities, we change.
go figure.
ignorance is bliss :thumbsup

Right?! It's always disappointing to learn something negative about a favorite artist.

I have quite a few favorites of theirs. Hearing Desperado live was really amazing. Don Henley's voice was fantastic and seemed like he had a lot of feeling and emotion into the song. It was beautiful.

Quote from: redwoodwildflower on February 16, 2015, 03:09:05 PM
Right?! It's always disappointing to learn something negative about a favorite artist.

I guess but you'd think by now that we'd know that artistic ability and charm are not (necessarily) indications of character.