Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History of The Eagles  (Read 10116 times)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »

I guess but you'd think by now that we'd know that artistic ability and charm are not (necessarily) indications of character.  

Yeah, you just like to think the folks you like artistically have the same social consciousness.  It's almost bothersome when it's the opposite.  The same applies to people whose music you despise but are on the same side as you.  

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »

Yeah, you just like to think the folks you like artistically have the same social consciousness.  It's almost bothersome when it's the opposite.  The same applies to people whose music you despise but are on the same side as you.  

Ed

Seems to be the case although why it should be is beyond me. A leftover from the 60's or has it always been that way? Personally, I don't care for outright partisan politics in music on either or any side.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »

So, I'm doing guitar maintenance , and what the heck, I put "Long Road out of Eden" on.

They were no fools putting "No more Walks in the Wood" as an opener.
 It's a huge tribute and throw back to "Seven bridges Road" if there ever was one.

JD Souther's "How Long" has never been more beautifully played or recorded, they done him good on that monster.

"Waiting in the Weeds" is simply a stellar song, by it's writing, structure and performance. Full stop.

For me, the other 17 tracks are adequate at best, and too many missed opportunities for my ears.
some of it is simply just dreck.

hey for that band, 3 for 20 ain't bad  cop whistling

das my story and I'm sticking to it, and when I see Don, why, I'll just let him know what I think!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »

So, I'm doing guitar maintenance , and what the heck, I put "Long Road out of Eden" on.

They were no fools putting "No more Walks in the Wood" as an opener.
 It's a huge tribute and throw back to "Seven bridges Road" if there ever was one.

JD Souther's "How Long" has never been more beautifully played or recorded, they done him good on that monster.

"Waiting in the Weeds" is simply a stellar song, by it's writing, structure and performance. Full stop.

For me, the other 17 tracks are adequate at best, and too many missed opportunities for my ears.
some of it is simply just dreck.

hey for that band, 3 for 20 ain't bad  cop whistling

das my story and I'm sticking to it, and when I see Don, why, I'll just let him know what I think!

I agree completely. Long Road starts strongly, stumbles and eventually, like an exhausted marathoner, crawls to the finish line. The musicianship is still top notch but I don't know why they didn't employ some outside songwriters to prop up, either their obvious failing songwriting chops or, considering their solo careers, reluctance to bring their best songs to the project. 3 out of 20 ain't good enough.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »

I finally watched History of the Eagles in it's entirety tonight (on CNN).  I remembered this discussion so I just re-read this entire thread and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.  To me, Henley and Frey (RIP) didn't come off as being all that bad or egotistical.  I think a lot of the conflicts were a result of how the music business works in that those who write the songs and have the best voices are paid the most.  Not saying that's fair, but only how it is.  Without those two, the Eagles could not have been the Eagles, just like without Lennon and McCartney, the Beatles could not have been the Beatles.

Conversely, without a stellar supporting cast, they couldn't have pulled it off either.  It's just too bad Henley and Frey didn't make the decision to just simply share all the proceeds equally amongst whomever was in the group at any given time.  It's not like there wasn't enough money to go around.

Maybe I'm naive, but whenever I watch one of these histories, or read histories about the big acts, I'm dismayed and disillusioned to discover how much it is about the money and not necessarily about the artistry.  It's really just big business and many artists seem to be motivated by how much they can earn more than anything else.  And then so many of them are or were ripped off by the record companies and promoters, et al.  I think some of that trickles down into the band itself and creates conflicts. 

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: