Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History of The Eagles  (Read 9784 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »

I read Young's last attempt. Pretty chatty and disjointed and it didn't seem that a lot of effort had gone into it. Mostly plugging his new sound thingee. Graham Nash interests me not one bit. I'm trying to read Keith Richards' Life but it's a bit of a struggle. I really enjoyed Dylan's Chronicles and the last one on The Beatles. Can't wait for him to write the next episode. 
I would like to hear Don Felder, Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon's side of The Eagle story though. Frey and Henley's was more than little self serving. 
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »

I really don't think you would be a targeted market for these book releases. You were born 20 to 30 years too late. It's the people who were in their teens and 20's when these artists were in their hayday who read these books ( and right now there is a pretty big chunk of the book buyers sitting in that demographic).

Sure you might get the odd 30 year old or even 20 year old who gets Dylan & Young et al but their luv for these artists will likely fade thru time. It's not as engrained as it is with todays 50 to 70 year olds.

I honestly believe for the  most part it takes them back to their youth when luv, ideas and the world was fresh, not to mention that most music today is just a lesser version of it.  
My friend who read the books was young then, knew the music when it was new, grew up with it, and still found these guys to be self-serving pricks.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:22 PM »

Different strokes, as someone said. There are books in my library that I reread every year and plan on doing so for the rest of my life. For me, reading is just getting started: rereading is where one really begins to understand what a book has to say.

I'm not slamming the Eagles, et al. I understand people wanting to hear the hits they grew up with.  I'm a child of the 80s and some of my friends still listen to Hair Metal all day long. None for me, thanks.  Even though I grew up on 80s stuff, my parents were constantly listening to the music of the 60s so I got just as much of that.   I suppose the thing that happened to me is that as I grew as a human being, I found the worldview and outlook of the classic rockers to be one I cannot relate to or agree with.  And seen in that light, much of it just seems silly to me now and I can't take it serious. 

Looking back to the 60's, yes that generation of "anti-establishment" youth had an idealistic naivety that seems a bit misguided now.  However, I believe because of that thinking, the world was made a better place.  There was a real feeling of brotherhood.  Skin color, status, gender, religion, and even what you wore did not matter as much during that time.  In spite of the so called sexual revolution, there was still a certain morality and lines you didn't cross.  Boys had more respect for girls.  Most young people still had some manners and respect for their elders and teachers.  To me, it was a big leap forward.

Today, many of those ideals have faded away it seems.  I often wish we could go back to a more innocent world like the 50s and 60s was when us baby boomers grew up.  What puzzles me is how the world is today given that these same baby boomers are running the show now. 

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 10:29:03 PM »

Looking back to the 60's, yes that generation of "anti-establishment" youth had an idealistic naivety that seems a bit misguided now.  However, I believe because of that thinking, the world was made a better place.  There was a real feeling of brotherhood.  Skin color, status, gender, religion, and even what you wore did not matter as much during that time.  In spite of the so called sexual revolution, there was still a certain morality and lines you didn't cross.  Boys had more respect for girls.  Most young people still had some manners and respect for their elders and teachers.  To me, it was a big leap forward.

Today, many of those ideals have faded away it seems.  I often wish we could go back to a more innocent world like the 50s and 60s was when us baby boomers grew up.  What puzzles me is how the world is today given that these same baby boomers are running the show now.  
Nicely put, and good points.  But it seems to me that one of the major things wrong with the modern world is the thought process of the 60s taken to its logical conclusion.  Yes, there was still respect for girls, etc, because such values were leftover from the previous generation. But once anything "established" was done away with, where can any standard be obtained or referred to?  The 60s children climbed up the tree and then sawed the trunk from underneath themselves.  And as you point out, they are the ones in charge now. Well, here is the conclusion to their worldview. "Imagine there's no heaven..." to quote Lennon. Ok, we have all imagined now. And here we are.  We are in Lennon's world where there is no standard to appeal to.  I'm not sure this is what he had in mind though. But he should have, him being a clever fellow.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »

Creature,

I think you are on to something regarding of how and why things got so convoluted.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

giff06

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 12:08:53 AM »

These days Linda Ronstadt suffers from Parkinsons and can't sing a note. Such a shame.....
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 07:12:11 AM »

Creature,

I think you are on to something regarding of how and why things got so convoluted.

Kurt
I'd like to add a few things to show that I'm not being flippant here. I believe the 60s had some exceptional musicians: the Beatles wrote some of the best melodies of all time, Hendrix still can't be explained, etc.  I believe a lot of the musicians were sincere, had good intentions, and truly sought to make a difference. But it had no roots or foundation, nothing objective to build itself upon.  And when that is the case, in the end everything simply boils down to preference.  People could encourage all to give peace a chance, but they couldn't give any good reasons why anyone should.  Lennon's Imagine, which I believe was coming from a place of good intentions, is ultimately just a matter of preference.  That's why I say it was an empty movement, and one that ultimately led to self destruction. It gave us many of our modern ideas that simply are not working.  
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »

I disagree. It had lots of roots. Marxism/Leninism, Utopianism, elitism and a few other isms that most intelligent people grow out of at around 40. Unfortunately, Lennon who was heavily influenced by Alinsky and Yoko, never got the chance. We are witnessing the inevitable outcome of those who didn't grow out of it, achieving power.
But, enough of that, all I really wanted to do was criticize an extremely self serving DVD of a couple of not very nice guys that I used to think fairly highly of and, regardless, whose music I mostly still like.
Very unfortunate about Ms. Ronstadt. I still love her and wish her the best.  
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »

+1

Yes, but have you seen her lately?
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »

In the end, time is unkind to us all

Very unfortunate about Ms. Ronstadt. I still love her and wish her the best. 
Me too!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 06:46:48 PM »

Yes and I also own a mirror. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »

Joe Walsh was on Crossroads last night with a bunch of new Country stars. Better than I imagined. Joe and Brad Paisley were smokin' on Rocky Mountain Way, Kenny Chesney was good and I was very impressed by Sarah Evans' duet on Best of My Love. She's kind of smokin' too. For an older gal.
But what's up with Joe's voice? Did he always talk like Hunts Hall? Did he have a stroke? If so, it didn't affect his playing which is probably better than ever. Made the talk box thing in Rocky Mountain Way sound a little like Donald Duck, though.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »

I'd like to add a few things to show that I'm not being flippant here. I believe the 60s had some exceptional musicians: the Beatles wrote some of the best melodies of all time, Hendrix still can't be explained, etc.  I believe a lot of the musicians were sincere, had good intentions, and truly sought to make a difference. But it had no roots or foundation, nothing objective to build itself upon.  And when that is the case, in the end everything simply boils down to preference.  People could encourage all to give peace a chance, but they couldn't give any good reasons why anyone should.  Lennon's Imagine, which I believe was coming from a place of good intentions, is ultimately just a matter of preference.  That's why I say it was an empty movement, and one that ultimately led to self destruction. It gave us many of our modern ideas that simply are not working.  

Having lived thru the 60's (high school and college), it seems to me that it was largely a bunch of kids protesting what was, without any plans for what should replace it.  A country full of communes was never a viable alternative.  And, I always wondered if all of the anti-war protests were due to that fact that kids didn't want to get drafted, rather than really being anti-war?  I mean, since we did away with the draft, the protests have largely disappeared.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »

And, I always wondered if all of the anti-war protests were due to that fact that kids didn't want to get drafted, rather than really being anti-war?  I mean, since we did away with the draft, the protests have largely disappeared.
A little off topic tho I never thought of it that way, very good point

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 03:55:06 AM »

Just caught up with this thread.
 I can understand and almost agree with pretty much everything from the OP's POV.
 But lets face it, it's rock'n roll, it's big money, and big egos.

My favorite stupid part of the movie, was the original layout and the whole photo shoot of Desperado.
Original concept of the jacket design and what it became is something right out of "Spinal Tap"..

I can't agree 100% on the last recording, it has it's moments, JD Souther's "How Long" (Cut #2) is a pretty stellar version of a terrific and long over looked song.
Henley's vocals and the chord changes on "Waiting in the weeds" alone is worth the price of the CD, the rest of it, meh a multi billion come back LP for monetary gains only for sure.

certainly, the famous $50,000,000 deal Walmart gave them to be exclusive retailers was a tad telling of the real motives....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:55 AM »

Joe Walsh was on Crossroads last night with a bunch of new Country stars. Better than I imagined. Joe and Brad Paisley were smokin' on Rocky Mountain Way, Kenny Chesney was good and I was very impressed by Sarah Evans' duet on Best of My Love. She's kind of smokin' too. For an older gal.
But what's up with Joe's voice? Did he always talk like Hunts Hall? Did he have a stroke? If so, it didn't affect his playing which is probably better than ever. Made the talk box thing in Rocky Mountain Way sound a little like Donald Duck, though.

Joe is lucky to be alive, considering he "snorted a mountain of cocaine" (his own quote), any listen to any James Gang, or history will indicate he embodied the crazier side of the rock'n roll lifestyle....

Like over 50?

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »

Joe is lucky to be alive, considering he "snorted a mountain of cocaine" (his own quote), any listen to any James Gang, or history will indicate he embodied the crazier side of the rock'n roll lifestyle....

Well, aren't we all lucky to be alive, after all?   
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »

tru dat

Like over 50?

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 04:18:14 AM »

Check out an old hippie western Jeramiah....the James gang plays, well, the James gang.  A true ganja cowboy flick.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »

Check out an old hippie western Jeramiah....the James gang plays, well, the James gang.  A true ganja cowboy flick.

Starring Miami Vice's Don Johnson I believe. I remember it.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: