Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History of The Eagles  (Read 10120 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »

I watched this on Netflix last night. I was a big Eagles fan in the day. Not so much for their comeback. Glenn Frey comes off as a huge dick. Seems to think that band members should be grateful to have been allowed to stand in his presence. Felt a lot of sympathy for Don Felder who is disrespected and actually called nasty names. Like him, I would never have lasted in a band in which I was demoted to an employee by "the stars" and expected to kiss their butts and enable their whims. Henley comes off slightly better but it's pretty obvious Frey is an ego maniac and a control freak. Walsh and Schmidt act like they're just grateful to have a job. Stuart Smith knows his place too. Replace Felder and stfu.    
The best part of the whole thing was the early footage and Linda Ronstadt. Was there ever a cuter girl? I think not.
And Long Road Out of Eden still really, really sucks. Seriously, rather a paint by numbers Eagles album but not that bad.    
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »

The best part of the whole thing was the early footage and Linda Ronstadt. Was there ever a cuter girl? I think not.

+1

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »

One of the more memorable concerts I attended was back in about 1977 or so.     Jimmy Buffet opened.  Linda Ronstadt then took the stage in a skimpy girl scout outfit.   Then the Eagles did a pretty long set.  Linda joined them for a couple of closing tunes.   All this for about $10  as I recall.  Yes, Ronstadt, in her prime, was about the best looking female entertainer out there.  I also saw Janis Joplin, Grace Slick, Lydia Pense and many others female singers, but she was the easiest on the eyes.  Stevie Nicks wasn't bad back in the day either.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »

I would have liked that one! 
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »

I use a company car quite a bit and it seems the last person to drive it usually leaves it on the local "Classic Rock" station.  The other day it was blasting out The Eagles when I started it up.  I couldn't change stations fast enough.  I've heard that stuff about 10,000 times in my life and honestly don't understand why people still listen to it. I understand NEW listeners who are discovering, but to have listened to it nonstop since the 70s?  Why?
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:03:46 PM »

I use a company car quite a bit and it seems the last person to drive it usually leaves it on the local "Classic Rock" station.  The other day it was blasting out The Eagles when I started it up.  I couldn't change stations fast enough.  I've heard that stuff about 10,000 times in my life and honestly don't understand why people still listen to it. I understand NEW listeners who are discovering, but to have listened to it nonstop since the 70s?  Why?

You've answered your own question.  Classic rock. 
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »

Sad when egos supplant talent. Every once in a great while I like to hear an old Eagles tune or two, not three. And Linda was a hottie alright!

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:04:36 AM »

I use a company car quite a bit and it seems the last person to drive it usually leaves it on the local "Classic Rock" station.  The other day it was blasting out The Eagles when I started it up.  I couldn't change stations fast enough.  I've heard that stuff about 10,000 times in my life and honestly don't understand why people still listen to it. I understand NEW listeners who are discovering, but to have listened to it nonstop since the 70s?  Why?

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Same goes for the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Hollies, Monkees, Byrds, Cream ...............

Who wants to listen to that stuff anymore.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:47:38 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Same goes for the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Hollies, Monkees, Byrds, Cream ...............

Who wants to listen to that stuff anymore.
Not me.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 06:22:28 AM »

Not me.

Different strokes for different folks.    Perhaps it's my age and wanting to cling to the tunes of my youth.     Oh, and I should have named CCR as another example.

Cheers

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »

I wouldn't like a steady musical diet of the Eagles on the radio every day but I could say the same for just about any other band.  However, bands like the Eagles continue to get airplay and sell out their concert tours because 1.  Well-crafted songs, stellar musicianship and tight harmony won't ever go our of style.   2.  They have a tremendous catalog of hit songs that most everyone can relate to.      I don't think I've ever turned the radio dial when an Eagles song came on...   but I've turned up the volume plenty of times
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »

There's generally a good reason they call things classic from cars to rock'n'roll bands. Oldies for oldies! And from Hank to Hendrix, there's one in every crowd to say, "They ain't so great." Notice creature doesn't off his alternatives. Scared? 

Right now I have all four "Nuggets" CDs in my car deck. Classic Garage Rock. Lies by the Knickerbockers and Laugh Laugh by the Beau Brummels never get old! But perhaps like the Blues Magoos say, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!" Na na na na na na na na na na na na.     
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 12:16:02 PM »

Music is curious in that its very repetitive; even within a single song. We can listen to it, a song or an album over and over.

For most people a book or movie is not granted any repetition. I am not able to re-read a book and rarely able to watch a movie for a second time yet we wear the groves off of albums!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »

Music is curious in that its very repetitive; even within a single song. We can listen to it, a song or an album over and over.

For most people a book or movie is not granted any repetition. I am not able to re-read a book and rarely able to watch a movie for a second time yet we wear the groves off of albums!

I'm like you in that regard. Very few movies or books I need to watch twice. Llewyn Davis comes to mind. And Catch 22. For the most part, I can close my eyes and re-read a book in about 3 seconds. 
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »

I rarely ever re-read a book..  there's too many in my  queue to waste time with something I've already read.   And I think there's only been a handful of movies I ever wanted to watch a second time from beginning to end.    But, like you, I've had some of the same albums from vinyl to tape to cd to mp3 is some cases; replacing as needed.     
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »

Different strokes, as someone said. There are books in my library that I reread every year and plan on doing so for the rest of my life. For me, reading is just getting started: rereading is where one really begins to understand what a book has to say.

I'm not slamming the Eagles, et al. I understand people wanting to hear the hits they grew up with.  I'm a child of the 80s and some of my friends still listen to Hair Metal all day long. None for me, thanks.  Even though I grew up on 80s stuff, my parents were constantly listening to the music of the 60s so I got just as much of that.   I suppose the thing that happened to me is that as I grew as a human being, I found the worldview and outlook of the classic rockers to be one I cannot relate to or agree with.  And seen in that light, much of it just seems silly to me now and I can't take it serious. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »

I rarely ever re-read a book..  there's too many in my  queue to waste time with something I've already read.   And I think there's only been a handful of movies I ever wanted to watch a second time from beginning to end.    But, like you, I've had some of the same albums from vinyl to tape to cd to mp3 is some cases; replacing as needed.     

Yep. I congratulate myself for never buying an 8 track though! 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »

Different strokes, as someone said. There are books in my library that I reread every year and plan on doing so for the rest of my life. For me, reading is just getting started: rereading is where one really begins to understand what a book has to say.

I'm not slamming the Eagles, et al. I understand people wanting to hear the hits they grew up with.  I'm a child of the 80s and some of my friends still listen to Hair Metal all day long. None for me, thanks.  Even though I grew up on 80s stuff, my parents were constantly listening to the music of the 60s so I got just as much of that.   I suppose the thing that happened to me is that as I grew as a human being, I found the worldview and outlook of the classic rockers to be one I cannot relate to or agree with.  And seen in that light, much of it just seems silly to me now and I can't take it serious. 

I have to agree with a lot of that. The Eagles, at least Frey and Henley, are pretty self satisfied and neither appears to  believe that their poop has any odor. However, if I held that and politics against artists, I'd be listening to a very small cadre of performers. 
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »

Fair enough, duck.  Musically, some of the stuff from the 60s will hold up for a long time.  I just find the overarching  spirit or message one of emptiness. 

One other thing, if you didn't get enough of these folks' point of view in their music, many of them are writing autobiographies now. A friend read Neil Young's and Graham Nash's and found them great narcissistic whine-fests.  I'll be skipping them. 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »

A friend read Neil Young's and Graham Nash's and found them great narcissistic whine-fests.  I'll be skipping them. 
I really don't think you would be a targeted market for these book releases. You were born 20 to 30 years too late. It's the people who were in their teens and 20's when these artists were in their hayday who read these books ( and right now there is a pretty big chunk of the book buyers sitting in that demographic).

Sure you might get the odd 30 year old or even 20 year old who gets Dylan & Young et al but their luv for these artists will likely fade thru time. It's not as engrained as it is with todays 50 to 70 year olds.

I honestly believe for the  most part it takes them back to their youth when luv, ideas and the world was fresh, not to mention that most music today is just a lesser version of it. 

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: