Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee versus Maton versus others.  (Read 968 times)
dawkins

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »

Hi All

I am on the verge of buying a Larrivee LV-03.

My decision to buy is based on the question of "What is the best workhorse" guitar for live performace. Of course there will be lots of guitars that fall into this catergory for debate (Takamine stress this in their branding for example) but a friend of mine, a die hard solo performer and talented player, is adamant that if you are a solo performer in charge of your own sound it is vital that your guitar is rock steady in tuning; is easy to get the sound you want, and is totally reliable night after night.

So, he plays a Maton which he swears by (not a pretty guitar to my eyes with it's 'A' Grade top) but he has also told me that Larrivee would be his other contender for a real gigging guitar. One of the interesting issues he threw up with a lot of guitars he has tried is that when capo'd up a lot of guitars fall short on tone. I actually experienced this on a very expensive Santa Cruz and sold it.

I have looked at Takamine but find their preamps too complicated. Yamaha always sound a bit boxy for me and Taylors and Martins have similary never inspired me.

Any views on this topic. 
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »

Buy the Larrivee. You can't go wrong with it. Versatile  and rock solid construction within great balanced tone.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
dawkins

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »

I think I will - 95 percent certain,
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »

The only thing good about a Maton is when it is amplified. The Larrivee can do almost anything, trust me, I've own both. Very balance. Good luck
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »

bigrin   And Fongie is an Australian!!   My advice is forget the Maton and go with a Larrivee. Have yet to play a Maton that talked to me. My Larrivees are all consistantly good guitars .

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

bigrin   And Fongie is an Australian!!   My advice is forget the Maton and go with a Larrivee. Have yet to play a Maton that talked to me. My Larrivees are all consistantly good guitars .

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that.........cheers mate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: