Help with choosing Larrivee and specs

Started by dawkins, October 19, 2014, 11:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi All

I'm new here but could anyone advise.

I'm about to (95 percent sure) by a Larrivee LV-03. I am happy with the guitars and want the cutaway but their appears to be a few choices with regards to the pickups. The ones offered to me seem to have a Shadow system installed and not LR Baggs.

Can anyone give me the pros or cons of these systems, or give me a better understanding of how these systems differ.

I want to make an informed decision

Thanks

First welcome to the forum;  you might want to spend a few minutes reading the rules before your next post.   :wink:

As for pickups on a Larrivee guitar:    It may be the wisest choice to buy one without a pickup and have one installed later after you've done more research into what would be best for your particular style and future needs.

Thanks for that reply.

I will go off and read the rules:  :donut

Quote from: tuffythepug on October 19, 2014, 11:46:11 AM
As for pickups on a Larrivee guitar:    It may be the wisest choice to buy one without a pickup and have one installed later after you've done more research into what would be best for your particular style and future needs.
:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

As part of your research, you might look up some of the many threads where the pros and cons of various systems have been discussed on the forum.  There is some good info there, for sure.

And welcome from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Thank you.

Well no need to research more beause I have just gone ahead and bought an LV-03 this morning with LR Baggs. I will write about it in the general forum

:nana_guitar

:donut :donut :donut

Quote from: dawkins on October 19, 2014, 11:36:48 AM
Hi All

I'm new here but could anyone advise.

I'm about to (95 percent sure) by a Larrivee LV-03. I am happy with the guitars and want the cutaway but their appears to be a few choices with regards to the pickups. The ones offered to me seem to have a Shadow system installed and not LR Baggs.

Can anyone give me the pros or cons of these systems, or give me a better understanding of how these systems differ.

I want to make an informed decision

Thanks

Many folks purchase a new guitar without electronics and add them afterwards.  Choosing what is appropriate for your needs, playing styles, likely venues, ensemble makeup, subjective preferences and several other factors takes a fair amount of research.  Fortunately, this research also help you to understand how to use the chosen gear, although actual experience is the ultimate teacher.

Larrivee's choices for internal electronics over the years have never been well thought out, and seem like a mere afterthought.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 19, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

I wish this forum had existed when I ordered my L-03-E (E being factory installed pickup).  I would not have ordered it with a pickup built-in and done exactly what is suggested above.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Luckily the one I bought the other day has the pickup I decided I wanted. Really love it.

Quote from: dawkins on October 23, 2014, 12:56:43 AM
Luckily the one I bought the other day has the pickup I decided I wanted. Really love it.
That's great!!

:gotpics:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)