what guitar brand do you just not like?

Started by DaveyO, October 18, 2014, 05:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

and whyj? for me its Gibsons, I have never played one that i liked
how about you all?
Dave

Don't think I have any.  I may not be a fan of every brand but have never found one I hate. 

(However I haven't played an Esteban or an Urban.)
Steve ....aka the SMan

I have a hard time playing any guitars where the bridge is suspended higher than a fender style tailpiece or an acoustic with a glued on bridge.  Having my hand suspended out over the guitar is tough for me.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: SMan on October 18, 2014, 06:07:17 PM
Don't think I have any.  I may not be a fan of every brand but have never found one I hate. 

(However I haven't played an Esteban or an Urban.)

I'm in the same boat as you, Steve.

UNLESS you count my very first guitar which was an acoustic my brother and I found in someones garbage can in a back alley.  At the time we thought it was a prophetic omen because we wanted to start a band and could never afford actually buying any instruments.  I was 12 at the time and my brother was 11.  It had a cowboy picture on the front which we immediately sanded off.  After all, we were going to be the next Beatles.  Having a guitar with a cowboy on it was definitely not cool.

I think it was about the size of a typical "folk" guitar; small, but not as small as a parlor.  I don't remember what brand it was, and I don't think we really cared.  It was a free guitar and that's all that counted.  I'm betting it was a harmony or stella now that I know a bit more about guitars. In hindsight, it might be worth some money today, as a collectors item if it still had the cowboy intact.  I remember it had a thin metal tailpiece attached at the strap button on the lower bout, like the cheaper guitars of the day.  I don't remember what the bridge was like or whether it was moveable.  It only had a couple or 3 rusty old strings on it, and that's all we played it with for a long, long time before we discovered how to tune a guitar and scraped up enough funds to buy a set.  Another thing I remember was that we draped a piece of that ball-chain, like you would find attached to your sink drain plug, over the strings in the area of the sound hole.  That was so it would sound more electric when it was strummed

I had no idea about chords, and just played little riffs on it at first.  I think the first one I learned was the riff from the song "Kicks" by Paul Revere and the Raiders.  Another early one was "Wild Thing" by the Troggs; just the notes, not the chords.

Why did I hate that guitar you ask?  Because even at my early stage of understanding these instruments, I could tell that it's intonation was horrible.  And the action was incredibly high.  I had no idea how to make this better, but it's all I had so I made it work.  I am so thankful to my mother who recognized my passion for playing and that the guitar was holding me back.  For my 13th birthday, she bought me a Silvertone acoustic from the Sears catalogue.  It was like heaven, even though it wasn't perfect either.  It was my only guitar for the next 6 years.  On it, I learned all the basics that are the foundation of my playing today.  I performed with it many times, beginning with "Folk Mass" at church and later, "Coffee Houses" in high school and church basements.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I truly do not like Taylors. I find all of them sound weak and thin compared to the same size Larrivee or Martin. While the tone is clean I find it simple and uninteresting.  Most seem to be played plugged in which merely gives the sound of the transducer.

Most of all I get irritated by Bob. He claims to have practically invented every aspect of guitar building when actually all he has done is choose techniques solely to maximize profit while offering none of the savings to the consumer. In other words he charges too much. Why he gets it must be due to his company's admitted marketing prowess.

Not long ago bob started claiming to be the worlds expert in choosing lumber featuring pictures him with fielded trees. Remind you of anyone who actually does do that? I expect any day now he will claim to have created trees...
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on October 18, 2014, 11:15:08 PM
I truly do not like Taylors. I find all of them sound weak and thin compared to the same size Larrivee or Martin. While the tone is clean I find it simple and uninteresting.  Most seem to be played plugged in which merely gives the sound of the transducer.

Most of all I get irritated by Bob. He claims to have practically invented every aspect of guitar building when actually all he has done is choose techniques solely to maximize profit while offering none of the savings to the consumer. In other words he charges too much. Why he gets it must be due to his company's admitted marketing prowess.

Not long ago bob started claiming to be the worlds expert in choosing lumber featuring pictures him with fielded trees. Remind you of anyone who actually does do that? I expect any day now he will claim to have created trees...

I'm not going into bashing here, but yes, I agree, the Larrivees show videos that are the real deal when it comes to choosing woods.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: cke on October 18, 2014, 11:15:08 PM
I truly do not like Taylors. I find all of them sound weak and thin compared to the same size Larrivee or Martin. While the tone is clean I find it simple and uninteresting.  Most seem to be played plugged in which merely gives the sound of the transducer.

Well, I stood next to the CNC machine that does most of the rough shaping of necks in the Larrivée plant in Oxnard on a tour given by Mr. Jean Larrivée - this would have been about 2006 or 2007, and he was very proud of the machine and of the fact that his good friend, Bob Taylor, showed him this machine. 
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on October 18, 2014, 11:52:04 PM
Well, I stood next to the CNC machine that does most of the rough shaping of necks in the Larrivée plant in Oxnard on a tour given by Mr. Jean Larrivée - this would have been about 2006 or 2007, and he was very proud of the machine and of the fact that his good friend, Bob Taylor, showed him this machine. 
I have had the same experience. CNC makes sense. That is why just about everybody uses them. JCL uses it to keep prices reasonable and value high.  Bob does not offer value. Bob has bought a lot of wood from Jean, but does not give credit where due
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

For some reason, I  have a problem with the Taylor image but not the guitars.

Assuming only "major" brands here (not cheapies or small builders), and acoustics only;

Gibson.  Not saying I have never played one I liked (or loved even), but they are far and few between for me.
Fender.  I don't remember a Fender acoustic that I'd want to own.

Ed

Quote from: eded on October 19, 2014, 08:05:54 AM
Assuming only "major" brands here (not cheapies or small builders), and acoustics only;

Gibson.  Not saying I have never played one I liked (or loved even), but they are far and few between for me.
Fender.  I don't remember a Fender acoustic that I'd want to own.

Ed

Two of the most disappointing guitars I've ever owned were a Fender acoustic and a Gibson Hummingbird. 

Cannot imagine a world without Gibson guitars!  Sure they make some duds but they also make many many fabulous guitars
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Maton...sorry Tommy Emmanual, but have yet to play one I liked.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

1:Taylor

2:Takamine

3:Fender
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

Quote from: C-10-4-me on October 19, 2014, 07:33:00 PM
1:Taylor

2:Takamine

3:Fender

Fender is to acoustic
As
General Motors is to sail boat.

Quote from: Queequeg on October 19, 2014, 08:18:58 PM
Fender is to acoustic
As
General Motors is to sail boat.
:roll

Thanks Mark.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I had an Applause shallow bowl - never really grooved with it and accidentally cooked it in my car.  Mr. LV19E took it off my hands and I believe turned it into a lefty.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I really like the Taylor 8-strings - a very interesting tonal combination.  Just thought I'd throw that in here amongst the Taylor dislike.  I don't like the Taylor open pore feel on their cheaper guitar necks.  The expression pickup system is quite nice for a built-in solution.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 19, 2014, 01:58:38 PM
Cannot imagine a world without Gibson guitars!  Sure they make some duds but they also make many many fabulous guitars

I would never slam the brand.   I've owned three Gibson guitars and two were great but one was a dud:  It happened to be the most expensive of the bunch.  You pay your money and you take your chances, I guess.