Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what guitar brand do you just not like?  (Read 11833 times)
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2014, 05:11:38 PM »

I have very negative memories of trying to play an Ovation guitar while fighting to stop it from sliding off my lap.

I have equally negative memories of the first time I read that a company actually markets a guitar made out of composite carbon plastic.

I've been a lifelong Taylor owner and don't comprehend the bashing.

blush

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2014, 04:12:01 AM »

Gibson has made a huge amount of fine guitars over the years. And had some bad years as well.
Martin makes great guitars, but I wouldn't buy one of their HPL models.
Taylor has some of the most beautiful guitars ever made. I've had a few nice ones.
Fender really is bad at making acoustics. A Palomino model would be nice to have though.
Ovation plastc bowl back guitars sound nice but I don't care for the way they feel while playing.
 Takamini sp? Just has no appeal to me and I wonder why some stars use them.

Ever since my first Larrivee that is the brand for me. But I'd still like a nice Collings blush

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2014, 04:28:15 AM »

Ever since my first Larrivee that is the brand for me. But I'd still like a nice Collings blush

Don't mean to move this thread in another direction, but Danny started it...

Beyond my Larrivees (and I'd like a few more of 'em!), I wouldn't mind having a Lowden of my choice. But the price of admission would be that of 2-4 Larrivees (depending on whether I bought used or new).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »

I've realized where I've been going wrong and I'm getting one of those Urban guitars and heading for country music fame!
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »

Takamini sp? Just has no appeal to me and I wonder why some stars use them.

reliable electronics for gigging, easy and (relatively) cheap to replace for country music road warriors.
And most performers that I see with Takamines are singers, first and foremost. Somtimes the guitar is lttle more than a prop.
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »

reliable electronics for gigging, easy and (relatively) cheap to replace for country music road warriors.
And most performers that I see with Takamines are singers, first and foremost. Somtimes the guitar is lttle more than a prop.

+1

The acoustic tone is of little importance in the setting I often see Takamines in.  i.e. a full band setting.  

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »

I have to disagree. The Eagles among many others seem to have pretty good success with Taks. I've played a couple of pretty nice ones. Some players want to be seen playing vintage equipment, others want to sound good and not worry about their 75 year old Martin. Besides, it's difficult enough getting a good acoustic sound in many settings, let alone when you're in an arena with a full band around you.  
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2014, 06:41:22 PM »

+1

The acoustic tone is of little importance in the setting I often see Takamines in.  i.e. a full band setting.  

Ed

Perhaps in a live setting, a little less important from the audience point of view.  In a recording studio, who knows what guitars are being used and if they are the same ones you see on stage.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2014, 11:28:40 PM »

Perhaps in a live setting, a little less important from the audience point of view.  In a recording studio, who knows what guitars are being used and if they are the same ones you see on stage.

Yep, I thought we were talking about what we see (i.e. concert footage).  I have rarely seen studio footage of big name acts playing Takamine. 

And I guess I should clarify here...  there are a bunch of people who are very popular and sound great that I see playing Takamine in concert videos and TV shows.  Takamine (for the most part) doesn't do it for me acoustically.  Many of the big name people I see playing them could most likely make a 2x4 with a rubber band sound better than I could make the finest guitar sound.  I'll take the guitar that I think sounds better...  like a Larrivee.  I need all the help I can get!

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »

I watched Storyteller two nights ago with Bruce Springsteen. He played three different Takamines (and only these three guitars) on the program and they (and he) all sounded great. He played solo, the guitars amplified, in a fairly intimate setting, not an arena, and I'm pretty sure Springsteen could play any guitar he wanted to play. They looked good too. Pretty good advertising for Taks. I wouldn't hesitate to use one.      
bino

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »

As many have already put in their 2 cents about, I do not like:
1. Ovation or Applause
2. Fender
And much to my surprise, I have heard no mention of
3. Ibanez

Cam

Bino

Guild Maple Dreadnaught D30 (2001)
Morgan Mahogany OM (2003)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnaught D-03R (2012)
Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnaught D40SBL (1977)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »

As many have already put in their 2 cents about, I do not like:
1. Ovation or Applause
2. Fender
And much to my surprise, I have heard no mention of
3. Ibanez

Cam
My Ibanez Artwood Dread. (Rosewood) was a nice guitar. It looked great and had a nice tone. Very similar to the D-09 I had at the same time. Two friends still have both of those guitars.

CycleBob

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »

Taks just sound dead to my untrained ear. I found Guilds difficult to play. No one should even have to mention Fender acoustics, they should stick to Electrics in MHO....

Larrivee D03E
Larrivee OM-03MT
Martin D15M
Seagull S12 Plus
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

I have a problem with two brands, not because they are "bad" guitars but their business model seems to ignore the player but, instead, focuses on the investor.

The first is Fender. it seems they like to buy up companies and putting them out of business or spinning them off at a profit (Guild). They need to stick with their electrics which is what put them on the map in the first place. I've never played one of their acoustics but I hear they're awful (and look bad, too).

The other manufacturer is Gibson which (I understand) is very unyielding when it comes to letting a small store carry them. They want the shop to carry a full line which can be very expensive for a small dealer. They also can't decide where they want to build their instruments: Kalamazoo, Bozeman, Nashville... where next?

Based on pure looks there is one other brand that I would never own on a bet: Blueberry!

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2014, 01:49:59 AM »

I have similar feelings about those companies.  Have you ever counted how many different versions and variations of Les Pauls and Stratocasters that have been marketed over the years?  I have a 2010 edition of the the official Vintage Guitar magazine price guide.  (about time I got a new one).

Back in 2010, there were 158 different Les Paul models listed.  And those are just the Gibson branded ones, not the Epiphones.  Fender had 170 different Strats listed as of 2010 (including the Squires).

DenverSteve

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 05:32:04 AM »

No brand bashing here. I play guitars - not brands.  I have found brands that seem to have a higher percentage of excellent guitar.  I've also found brands that seem to have more than their share of duds.  I can tell in less than 10 seconds whether it's worth playing or not.  My signature has the brands that I've found more favor with over the years.

Shalom, Steve
Larrivee OM-03R Twelfth Fret, Martin D41, Gibson J45 Southern Jumbo, Martin OM-28V, Taylor 912 ... et al.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 05:41:54 AM »

No brand bashing here. I play guitars - not brands.  I have found brands that seem to have a higher percentage of excellent guitar.  I've also found brands that seem to have more than their share of duds.  I can tell in less than 10 seconds whether it's worth playing or not.  My signature has the brands that I've found more favor with over the years.

Great way to look at it.  So how many different brands have you tried while you "played the guitars - not brands"?  Did you find brand that doesn't matter and it's the individual guitar that matters, or???  Can you elaborate on which brands have the higher percentage of excellent guitar and which seem to have their share of duds?

Twilkins

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »

I truly do not like Taylors. I find all of them sound weak and thin compared to the same size Larrivee or Martin. While the tone is clean I find it simple and uninteresting.  Most seem to be played plugged in which merely gives the sound of the transducer.

Most of all I get irritated by Bob. He claims to have practically invented every aspect of guitar building when actually all he has done is choose techniques solely to maximize profit while offering none of the savings to the consumer. In other words he charges too much. Why he gets it must be due to his company's admitted marketing prowess.

Not long ago bob started claiming to be the worlds expert in choosing lumber featuring pictures him with fielded trees. Remind you of anyone who actually does do that? I expect any day now he will claim to have created trees...
I agree.  Taylors ring too much for my ears.  They are; however extremely playable and I understand that some folks swear by em.   May not like the sound but love the variety.

Larrivee LS-03 Notable Custom Silver Oak
1970 Yamaha FG-110
Martins: Tweedy 00db; 2014 000-18
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2014, 02:49:10 AM »

I don't care for Bangitars. I like the sound of a five string banjo. The 200 series Taylors sound pretty good.

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2014, 03:41:34 AM »

I don't care for Bangitars. I like the sound of a five string banjo. The 200 series Taylors sound pretty good.

I don't care for Bangitars either.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: