Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Tops  (Read 3895 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »

Thanks for the explanation and photo - don't know why, but I can't open the link you provided...tried reloading it several different ways... oh well.

Edited to add - a quick Google search of Frank Ford and spruce runout took me to the page - thanks! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »

Ford's site, Frets.com, is a terrific resource.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 07:04:33 AM »

If you understand and visualize the geometry, and that every slab, whether split or sawn, is a wedge, then at least a teensy bit or runout is inevitable.  Two pieces of perfectly bookmatched halves  still have slightly different angles in reference to the center of the round trunk they were cut from.  They are all different radii even if perfectly quarter-sawn.

If you imagine the trunk of a spruce tree as a bundle of straws arranged vertically, and you take two slices out of them, side by side and parallel with the long side of those straws, the angle of cut on the perimeter of each straw has to be slightly different for each slice, no matter how thin that slice is.  The degree of runout, therefore, would be determined by how close together the slices are and how perfectly parallel the slices are with each other.  It's a tall order and expensive proposition to put the major emphasis on this one aspect of making perfectly matching top sets as opposed to just getting a pretty good match when the difference in the final sound of the guitar is unaffected.  For perfectionists, this might be worth the premium price such an effort would cost.  But I think the benefit would only be aesthetic and not sonic.

Personally, I wouldn't pay a premium for a guitar simply because it doesn't have a noticeable runout.  When I work on acoustic guitars, I don't even pay attention to the runout unless it becomes an obstacle to removing a bridge in the right direction to avoid cutting into the grain.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 07:14:36 AM »

The only Larrivee I owned that had run-out was the Forum III with Italian spruce.  Although it doesn't affect sound quality, run-out still bothers me. 

Play it daily for best results.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: