Fishman Rare Earth Blend Questions

Started by bobw, September 07, 2014, 08:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm considering putting one of these on/in a LV-03WL Larrivée and was hoping to get some input from the all of you folks here on the forum.

I have/had another thread about buying an electric guitar... (narrowed down to Godin 5th Ave KingPin w/P-90 or KingPin ll or a Modiac A6 Ultra) gotta love those Canadian guitars...

BUT...  back up the boat.... UncRob suggested trying a p/u first... great idea, right....

Thanks, UncRob....  SO... what to try????   I am open to suggestions ... one of the things I like on the guitars I choose above was their ability to blend or adj the sound between the 2 p/u-s   ... with that in mind the Fishman Rare Earth Blend would seem to give me similar abilities.....

All input is always greatly appreciated, as always...  will be testing in various sizes of guitars.... from parlors to slope shoulders and everything in between... Thanks... BobW...  :guitar

Equip on hand:

Fishman Mini LoudBox

K&K Pure XLR preamp

3 Mics...

I have a 000 & a parlor with K&K p/u

OO w/JJB p/u

You bought an electric, correct?

One of the issues of trying to pass off a magnetic pickup on an acoustic, as an electric, is string tension - harder to really get electric-familiar sounding bends and so forth on an acoustic.  Then there's the whole thing of pickup location along the string length - does it match well-known string length placements, etc.  With that said, this can be done.

Here's a song I did using a piezo pickup on a classical, nylon string guitar, including the lead line.  Keep in mind it's much easier to bend strings on a classical.

http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/FAWMArchive/fawm2013/scott%20lake%20%20-%20detuned%20Edit%201%20Export%201.mp3

I did everything including the bass-line on the classical (detuned - hence the name of the song)

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Rockstar... thanks.. I think I understand what you are saying...

I hope everyone understands...  I play fingerstyle...  no heavy strumming or hard music... I do love being able to obtain a wide range of tones from the instrument... 

I am upgrading to a Fishman Artist Amp with the built in effects to give me a wider range.

I have also purchased a looper to experiment with looping & overdubbing... 

One of the reasons I asked about strings was because I don't know if the Godin 5th ave uses acoustic or electric strings...  I have plenty of acoustic strings on hand but no electric...

Since I play fingerstyle I prefer to have the strings as low as possible...  no idea how to do this on an archtop...

I love to take existing songs and create my own version in fingerstyle and incorporate a little light strumming to enhance or for emphasis ...

I do this primarily with hymns...  hope this helps everyone know where I'm coming from and what I'm trying to accomplish...

Thanks for everyone's feedback...  I feel like a kid in a candy store with a couple of bucks in his pocket...  lots to look forward to... and thoroughly enjoying the trip...

I'm just a 67 year old geezer enjoying a second childhood...  I worked pretty steady from about 12-13 on but now I have the time to do some of those things  I might have done back then....  :bgrin:   BobW...  :guitar

Low action on an archtop is never a problem and yes you can use acoustic string on the Godin.At some point you may want to try some std electric strings or maybe even some flatwounds.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 22, 2014, 09:18:39 PM
Low action on an archtop is never a problem and yes you can use acoustic string on the Godin.At some point you may want to try some std electric strings or maybe even some flatwounds.

Thanks uncrob.... I always appreciate your help... Bob