Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering My 1st Electric Guitar Purchase Help me please  (Read 3501 times)
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2014, 12:27:02 AM »

I have never owned an "ëlectric" or hollow bodied or anything other then a straight up old acoustic...

I really like what I've seen and heard about these Taylor T5z's...  hollow body

I really like the idea of the smaller body over the T5...

Are there any Larrivée guitars or other guitars I should compare to the T5z???

Thanks... BobW... 

All help will be appreciated...
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:23:04 AM »

Even though I think you should get a Bakersfield because all any electric player needs is a tele type electric,the Coet company sell a guitar simular too the Taylor for a whole lot less.They play nice enough and sound pretty good.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:01:38 AM »

Even though I think you should get a Bakersfield because all any electric player needs is a tele type electric,the Coet company sell a guitar simular too the Taylor for a whole lot less.They play nice enough and sound pretty good.

Unc... do you know what model of Cort???  I liked the T5z because of the 14"lower bout and the acoustic sound you are still able to get out of it... Thks... BobW...
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »

I have a Taylor T5 and every electric Larrivee makes. The T5 is an OK guitar. But as I said before if my house was afire and I could only make a couple trips in to grab a couple of guitars I'm afraid the T5 would be staying behind.

I liken it to a somewhat Hybrid. It does pretty much everything BUT nothing exceptionally well.

In seeking your 1st electric you may want to ask yourself what is it you want to achieve with it. Just my opinion.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »

1.  What kind of music will you be playing most often ?    (folk, rock, blues, metal, etc)
2.  What environment will you be playing in most often ?   ( just around the house, small clubs, auditoriums, etc)
3.  Do you know what kind of amp you may want to use ?
4.  As Andrew said, what do you hope to achieve with it ?

bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »

Andrew...

Thanks for the input...  am leaning towards a Taylor T5z because of the smaller size body and 12"radius neck... easy playability...  BUT...  still wondering if there is anything else to consider and why... thanks again... BobW...  bigrin

Tuffy...

I play worship... primarily hymns... fingerstyle and lightly strummed..
Played /practice daily around the house and small venue...
I have a fishman mini loudbox right now...
Hoping to have and enjoy a variety of tone.... 

Hope this helps... and thanks for all of the feedback... BobW... 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »

RS-4 gets my vote. Not only is it the finest electric guitar I have ever owned, close to the finest I've ever played, it's also ... not a Taylor.  

Seriously, if you've never played an electric guitar before, the brand will be the least of your challenges. If I was starting out on electric, I'd look into a used telecaster or stratocaster. You can get a decent one fairly cheap and it's hard to go too far wrong with a good Fender.
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »

Also consider an RS-2
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »

I think if you are thinking of the Taylor you will be disappointed playing it acoustically.  I love my Koa T5 12 string but acoustically it is very thin.

I would seriously give G&L a look as they are excellent guitars at a friendly price point.

Steve ....aka the SMan
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »

One must also understand that the choice of amplifier may be more important than the choice of guitar. 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »

I think if you are thinking of the Taylor you will be disappointed playing it acoustically. 
+1 Both unplugged its not much louder than my Bakersfield  wacko As I said it does everything, just not well IMO

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 06:41:51 PM »

All good points above.  Why are you wanting an electric - what style of music is giving you the jones to buy?  I'm a firm believer that the amplification/effects are VERY important, and that you can get a much cheaper electric that is fun to play and sounds great, for way less than an acoustic that is fun to play and sounds great.

That said, there are certain tones with different electric guitar designs that are difficult to pull together without that particular pickup configuration.  For example, on traditional Stratocasters, the sound from pickup positions 2 and 4 are very distinct and can be had really only with guitars that have 3 pickups placed along the strings at the proper ratios of string length.  This is much more important than the actual quality of pickup - to get these two tones.  This is my opinion, confirmed by playing countless different quality levels of strats and copies.  Those tones are REALLY hard to get from dual humbucker guitars, from traditional telecaster designs.  Same is true for some of the classic LP/SG dual humbucker sounds, and for Telecaster 2 single coil tones as well.  I will say that the 3 very different pickups in my Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue let me cover some of this territory, but right now I don't have a way to do a Tele single coil in neck and bridge position combined.  This guitar does let me cover classic strat sounds with aplomb because the pickups are arranged to be just like a strat, with a 5 position switch, and ability to single the humbuckers, and some single humbucker stuff for the bridge or tail humbuckers.  But I can't get a full-out Les Paul/SG both pickup blast from it.  Other than that, it is a VERY versatile guitar, and when coupled with the right amp/effects, has been very satisfying to play.  My father in law has a very high end Amercan series strat, with Tex Mex pups in it, and I like the strat tones out of my guitar better than his, through the same rig.

What type of tone/style is it that you are shooting for, because it's very much more than just the guitar in this case.  

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »

Ok... I'm tossing in the donut and giving up...  

Thanks to everyone for all of your responses....  it is clear to me that I should NOT get a Taylor T5z or any other electric guitar....

My main interest was to play/adj it to get the most variety from it acousticly...  no offense but i really do not care for most pure  "electric" guitar output.... Just not my cup of tea...

and  I know some can be played very gently and quietly.. Soooo.  I'll stick with my acoustics for now and test other devices to get those sounds I'm looking for...

Again....  thanks to everyone for your input...  you probably saved me from making a mistake.... BobW...  
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 11:16:15 PM »

Ok... I'm tossing in the donut and giving up...  

Thanks to everyone for all of your responses....  it is clear to me that I should NOT get a Taylor T5z or any other electric guitar....

My main interest was to play/adj it to get the most variety from it acousticly...  no offense but i really do not care for most pure  "electric" guitar output.... Just not my cup of tea...

and  I know some can be played very gently and quietly.. Soooo.  I'll stick with my acoustics for now and test other devices to get those sounds I'm looking for...

Again....  thanks to everyone for your input...  you probably saved me from making a mistake.... BobW...  

Bob, it sounds like what you might be interested in is an archtop jazz-box type of guitar.  Unamplified, of course.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 01:27:49 AM »

Hi Bob.
Have a look at the Godin archtop. They make a nylon string also

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 02:52:33 AM »

from straight acoustic to electric, I would stay away from a solid body, go easy and get a semi acoustic, that being said, the Godin Fifth avenue guitars are made very well, and very reasonably priced. you can get them with big fat P90's with or with out a cutaway, bigsby, and dollar for dollar, your really can't go wrong, made in Canada and USA.

check out the "king Pin" line, and the Fifth Avenue lone.
 nice acoustic "feel" but with good pick ups, for having a bit of fun with an amp and a couple pedals.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »

If you're looking for a different fingerstyle guitar, I agree maybe it's time to get a "non-classical" nylon string:

Ovation

Breedlove

Carvin

Lots of other options out there along with these, but these all offer a thinner neck that's much easier to transition to from a standard steel string. I've had at least one of each of these (yes, lefties!), wish I still had the Ovation; still have a Carvin.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »

have you considered installing a magnetic pu in the soundhole,something like the Baggs M1 would help give a bit more versatility.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »

have you considered installing a magnetic pu in the soundhole,something like the Baggs M1 would help give a bit more versatility.

If I understand you correctly, UncR, you are suggesting I put an M80 in my acoustics, right...  good idea... thanks... BobW... 

bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »

Ok...

here are 3 guitars I'm considering...  pros/cons please....  other recommendations   price $500-$1000 USD

1. Godin 5th Ave Kingpin ll

2  Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

3. The Loar LH350-VS

Would again appreciate everyone's thoughts and thanks for all of the help... BobW... 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: