Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Brought The Beatles Box Set  (Read 742 times)
stevelawsn

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2004, 04:06:23 AM »

Santa brought me the new Beatles box set of the first four albums released by Capitol Records. It has been many, many years since I last heard some of these tunes and I forgot how good they were. People kind of take the Beatles for granted now, but back in 1964 when they first came to the USA they were very cutting edge. The Beatles were unlike anyone else in music at that time and to listen to them in context with the music world as it existed in 1964 is to appreciate their genius as writers and musicians. George and John could really make those Ricks and Gretches talk. I just wish that they had remixed these old sound tracks because the "stereo" mixes used on these old recordings leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe the surviving Beatles did not want these tracks to be tampered with, I don't know. The box set contains both the "stereo" mix and the mono (AM radio) versions of all of the songs. Good stuff... :)  

Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05
D4ve

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 12:22:55 PM »

George Harrison was one of the most underated guitarists around. In his day. IMO.
Dave

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 01:04:05 PM »

If you haven't seen it yet, the 5 DVD video set titled "The Beatles Anthology" is worth while spending time to see. It has images, video's and sound tracks from pre-Beatles days and the early days in the Cavern and Hamburg thru some of George's last days healthy. There are a number of video's taken of studio sessions over the years.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
jcbuggs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 06:34:14 PM »

George Harrison was one of the most underated guitarists around. In his day. IMO.
Dave
George never played the fastest notes or the loudest notes or the slickest notes, he just played the right ones for the song!

Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 01:43:08 PM »

I am very interested in the boxed set Steve mentions. I have some of the Beatles Anthology CD's and really enjoy them. Sometimes, I like the Anthology versions of songs better than the album version.
I also want to mention the acoustic CD of John Lennon recordings that came out recently. I got this and was very surprised. Some of these recordings might be found on other CD's, but this clearly shows what an awesome guitar player John was.
--Fred
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 08:04:54 PM »

Yes, and this set has corrected a HUGE mistake.  Long ago, they stopped issuing "Meet the Beatles" and have been issuing "With the Beatles" instead.  The difference?  With the Beatles doesn't contain I Wanna Hold Your Hand, which was their first hit here, and the main reason anyone bought that first album.  Now, this new set contains Meet the Beatles, with I Wanna Hold You Hand...still one of the best rock/teenage songs ever written.  When I first heard that, my perception of rock was forever changed.
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 09:37:33 PM »

So I guess I am the only one who was hugely disappointed by the lack of improvement in the sound quality. Given the improvemnt in the sound of the Stones, Hendrix and various Sony Legacy remasters, I thought that the Beatles catalogue deserved at least as much improvement over previous CD versions. When you consider how bad the precious CD issues were and how important the Beatles catalogue is, this hardly seems too much to ask. Yet Capitol failed to deliver (again), in my opinion.

Next the packaging could not be more tacky. The music and the fans deserved much better. How many times, in how many formats, have already bought this material.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: