Classical Larrivee - Strings?

Started by AZLiberty, August 20, 2014, 01:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So any recommendation for strings for my wife's Classical.

The La'Bellas she has on now do not seem to drive the top very well, thinking I am wanting something higher tension.

Higher tension on a classical is a bit dicey.  As you probably know, most classicals are designed to have only light tension strings -- gut or nylon. 

I did have some fun once with THOMASTIK INFELD Classic S strings, which are a kind of hybrid steel-wound string with a rope core, not too much tension for a classical guitar.

Michael 
Larrivee LV-10 2013
Michael Gee classical 2003
Martin D12X1AE 12 string
Alvarez AP66
Gretsch 5420t Electromatic

Quote from: datdaddy on August 20, 2014, 01:26:56 PM
Higher tension on a classical is a bit dicey.  As you probably know, most classicals are designed to have only light tension strings -- gut or nylon. 

Yeah but Nylon strings come in a fairly large range of hardnesses and tensions.    She has La'Bellas on right now because they have ball ends,  I told her she is going to have to learn how to properly tie strings.   :whistling:

I prefer the high tension CLASSICAL strings. They give some more resistance which gives a better positive feel of the string.

The hybrid Savarez are long lived and bright but expensive. The GHS Muriel Anderson's are pretty good too and much cheaper. Ordinary LaBella, D'Addario, Augustine's etc are fine, but don't last as long, though they all last well enough.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden