Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NGD; J-70, maple back, Mermaid inlay. Tell me about this rare Larrivee.  (Read 56140 times)
Big.Al

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »

I have owned a few jumbo guitars (not Larrivee) and have found them to be excellent all-around instruments. The use of maple seems to balance out any tendency to be overly bass heavy.  The one you have is certainly a looker.  The tiger maple is gorgeous. The bare-breasted inlay, although very artistically executed, might limit the pool of potential future buyers though.  It might seem out of place in a church setting, for example . . . and it would never pass the wife test at my house, so I'd be inclined to pass it up myself.

You might be surprised at how cleanly the pickup items peel off.  I've moved and removed Baggs Ibeams without too much leftover stickiness. The little that was left, I removed with a rag wet with something called "Goof-Off" which I bought to remove latex paint spatter from trim in my house.  It's basically xylene.  It dries very quickly without residue, but it's quite flammable.

Former owner of three wonderful Larrivee guitars.
Making rudimentary guitar noises since 1977.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »

I have owned a few jumbo guitars (not Larrivee) and have found them to be excellent all-around instruments. The use of maple seems to balance out any tendency to be overly bass heavy.  The one you have is certainly a looker.  The tiger maple is gorgeous. The bare-breasted inlay, although very artistically executed, might limit the pool of potential future buyers though.  It might seem out of place in a church setting, for example . . . and it would never pass the wife test at my house, so I'd be inclined to pass it up myself.

You might be surprised at how cleanly the pickup items peel off.  I've moved and removed Baggs Ibeams without too much leftover stickiness. The little that was left, I removed with a rag wet with something called "Goof-Off" which I bought to remove latex paint spatter from trim in my house.  It's basically xylene.  It dries very quickly without residue, but it's quite flammable.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" comes to mind on this. Frankly, I didn't even notice the bare brested part of the inlay until you pointed it out.
 That being said, some might feel it's an attribute to the art of human creation, (and beauty!) and find it more appealing than not. I believe we came into this world bare breasted.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:40 AM »

Funny enough, while I think it limits the pool to some degree, it ups the value for others.  I had thought about whether I would play it at a church and, while I know that the people I go to church with wouldn't be offended, it would be inappropriate because you never know what guests will be there and it's better to err on the side of courtesy.  My wife actually loves the mermaid and even though I didn't think she'd approve of me buying another guitar right now, she was totally cool with it once she saw the inlay.  Like Headsup said, all in the eye of the beholder.  I'm pretty neutral about it myself.  If it were a human woman, it would seem a little odd to have nudity on a guitar but being a mythological creature, I think it just adds to the artistic value.  The mermaid is prob my 2nd favorite among Larrive inlays and this one was particularly well-done, so I'm happy with it.

Ok, cool.  There is a little bit of wood damage in front of the bridge from the pickup install.  I'm guessing they either pushed too hard from underneath or something.  So, I'll have to be extremely careful in that area.  Thanks for the tips.  Even if I decide to leave the sensor, the battery module and wheel are going. 

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 12:34:12 AM »

well said, still just a tad perplexed about the mermaid issue.
For the believers, did God not create us unclad?
Is it bad to see a part of a mermaid's anatomy in it's "natural" state?
Oh there's a question maybe more relevant, is a "Memaid" actually part of creation?
Any one?
If not, whats the issue?

ok I know I'm gonna get whacked by the mods, but Wendy Larrivee's artwork is just that, art work, and beautiful.

Like over 50?

broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 02:07:19 AM »

For the believers, did God not create us unclad?

If your inquiry is genuine, I'd be glad to offer an explanation, under the radar.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Big.Al

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 02:27:50 AM »

I didn't say there was anything intrinsically wrong with the inlay.  I'm not trying to argue that it is obscene. It's obviously meant to be artistic.  There would be places where I would be hesitant to play it and people who might find it out of place. I might elicit a negative reaction if I played at a public school with crosses and doves on my guitar . . . or at a church with an image of a mythical temptress.  I don't own either. I wouldn't want to feel distracted about how some people might react in either situation or limit my potential base of buyers if I decided to sell it.  

We could argue all month about whether or not people's reactions might or might not be justified, but I think most of us would agree that some people might react negatively. I'd rather have something a little more neutral. That's just me.

Former owner of three wonderful Larrivee guitars.
Making rudimentary guitar noises since 1977.
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »

Got the serial!  The Baggs came out fairly easily but left behind glue and big chunks of black foam.  I didn't want to use anything aggressive that might compromise the wood glues so I tried some fretboard conditioner (Lizard Spit, my fave) and it came right off.  Serial # is 70, with 16641 underneath it.  What can we decipher from that?

Also, I forgot to mention that there are some nice Schaller tuners on this git, were those stock on high-end Larrs in the 90's?

Time to search for a plug that fits the gaping endpin hole and consider replacing the saddle soon.  That piece of braided UST pickup still being there is going to bug me but, in an OCB way, but the bridge height is soooo perfect right now.  As low as you could get without buzz.  Maybe I'll just get a new one from Colosi, pull the Element, and try to replicate the height I'm getting now.

My biggest concern was the chip and splintering in front of the bridge.  It was repaired but still a little lumpy looking on top.  I got my cam in the soundhole and, joy of joys, it's unaffected underneath!!!    Feels perfectly smooth.  I guess, whatever the previous owner did, affected it at the surface but didn't go through the wood.  Not sure what all the black gunk on the bridge plate is though.

D-02-12
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »

Got the serial!    Serial # is 70, with 16641 underneath it.  What can we decipher from that?

The 94-95 date you were guessing is accurate. For an exact date email Larrivee following the instructions at their .com. Make sure you put the word guitar in the subject box of your email in order to bypass their spam filters!

Also, I forgot to mention that there are some nice Schaller tuners on this git, were those stock on high-end Larrs in the 90's?
Yes they were stock. Very nice tuners indeed

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »

nice work, however, it appears that there was two pick ups? If you already peeled of the beam from under the bridge, the braided wire still remaining, I am guessing is the UST (Under saddle transducer) which can be removed by loosening the strings, pulling the saddle out and it should be right there.
 a word of caution though, the thickness of that braided wire (UST) being removed will lower your action the same amount. If you live in a humid climate like I do, it might not matter this time of year. You'll also get better tone response from the saddle sitting directly in the slot, rather than the UST being in the way.

I believe plugs are available from stewmac or others, folks around here will direct you.
beautiful guitar, and a real find.

Like over 50?

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »

The 94-95 date you were guessing is accurate. For an exact date email Larrivee following the instructions at their .com. Make sure you put the word guitar in the subject box of your email in order to bypass their spam filters!
Yes they were stock. Very nice tuners indeed
Will do, thanks!
And, yea, the Schallers are buttery smooth.  I don't mind the pings but it's so much easier to get right up to the note without going over with the Schallers.

nice work, however, it appears that there was two pick ups? If you already peeled of the beam from under the bridge, the braided wire still remaining, I am guessing is the UST (Under saddle transducer) which can be removed by loosening the strings, pulling the saddle out and it should be right there.
 a word of caution though, the thickness of that braided wire (UST) being removed will lower your action the same amount. If you live in a humid climate like I do, it might not matter this time of year. You'll also get better tone response from the saddle sitting directly in the slot, rather than the UST being in the way.

I believe plugs are available from stewmac or others, folks around here will direct you.
beautiful guitar, and a real find.
Just one pickup.  The black gunk seems to be from the factory.  I left the Element wire under the saddle because the action is as low as I could possibly get away with already.  If I want to take it out I'll have to get a new saddle.  I'm so short on time that it might have to stay as-is for a couple months.  The saddle is pretty chewed up and doesn't sit entirely straight so it could stand a replacement anyway.

D-02-12
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »

I received a response from Larrivee but I'm a bit confused.  I am told, "The manufacturing date of your guitar is April 13th 1999 and this is definitely a rare model as you thought.  There were only 1-2 of these guitar models that were produced."
 Though only 1 or 2 existing confirms what I thought, 1999 was not what I was expecting.  The original owner told the shot it was 95'.  I thought they discontinued the large soundhole long before 99' then and didn't think they were making the Jumbo, or the 70 series then.  Of course, I could be completely wrong.  I think think the date is bad or anything but for the sake of knowing, I'm wondering if I should ask Eloisa at Larrivee to double check the year of mfg.

D-02-12
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 08:15:49 PM »

I received a response from Larrivee but I'm a bit confused.  I am told, "The manufacturing date of your guitar is April 13th 1999 and this is definitely a rare model as you thought.  There were only 1-2 of these guitar models that were produced."
 Though only 1 or 2 existing confirms what I thought, 1999 was not what I was expecting.  The original owner told the shot it was 95'.  I thought they discontinued the large soundhole long before 99' then and didn't think they were making the Jumbo, or the 70 series then.  Of course, I could be completely wrong.  I think think the date is bad or anything but for the sake of knowing, I'm wondering if I should ask Eloisa at Larrivee to double check the year of mfg.
Still looking for opinions on the above.  Would 99' seem unusually late for a large-soundhole Larrivee?  Should I ask for them to double-check that?

D-02-12
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »

I'd say run with what they say. You gat a real gem there, play it with love, and forget the small details.

Like over 50?

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »

I'd say run with what they say. You gat a real gem there, play it with love, and forget the small details.
+1

My opinion / GUESS at the date discrepancy -  In 94 or 95 there was a custom order and for one of a thousand possible reasons the deal fell through. So in 94/95 the guitar got started the deal fell through and then got finished in 1999. That as I say is just an uninformed theory!

But as Headsup alluded the most relevant thing is you got this gem now so enjoy - you are fortunate!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »

Thank you both for the replies!  Yea, I thought about the idea that they may have kept it shelved for a while.
And, YES, I am enjoying this guitar immensely.  I can't get over how ideal it is for me.  I've already started selling other guitars that I won't be playing anymore because the bar has been raised.

D-02-12
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 01:53:03 AM »

Didn't want to make a separate topic for this so I'm posting it here.  I couldn't find a satisfactory plug for the removed electronics jack (Colosi's were too long and I didn't like Stu Mac's) so I got a buffalo horn blank and make my own.  Looking back, I can't believe it came out this well as all I had was a dremmel and sandpaper.  To get it round, I had to wrap the sandpaper around and spin it hundreds of times.  Then, getting a flush fit was another challenge entirely.  I was able to make it a precise enough fit that it doesn't require glue.  And, most importantly, this one fits in the case.  Anyhow, below is a blank, my own pin, and a commercially made pin for comparison. 

D-02-12
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2014, 04:21:24 AM »

Nice job!

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2014, 04:44:06 AM »

Nice job!

+1

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: