Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 00-03R (Wildwood vs LA Guitar Sales)  (Read 4089 times)
zpcm04

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »

Has anyone played BOTH the recent 00-03R Customs at Wildwood AND the special run by LA Guitar Sales a few years ago?

I bought one from Ted at LA Guitar Sales and regret selling it.  Was considering buying another.  However, the ones at Wildwood are different in that:

- Wildwood's is an alpine spruce top instead of sitka

- Wildwood's is a 25.5" scale, whereas the LA Guitar Sales was 24.75" scale

I would be interested how the tone and playability compare.

Thanks,
Philip

bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:56 AM »

I bought a OO-03 Italian/EIR 12 fret from Wildwood in 2012....  been smiling about it every since.  The Italian Spruce (in my opinion) sounds much better then sitka.  AND... it is getting better all the time... clear, very resonant, wonderful bell like trebles, loud for a OO.  I think the longer scale may give you more volume then a shorter scale guitar.

Marty & Don are real good folks too.....  BobW...   

I play fingerstyle.....
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:25:41 AM »

I have had three standard scale OO's and liked each one. Never had a short scale OO , but I have had five short scale Larrivees. The short scale seems to subdue the volume a bit.
I'd rather have the longer scale in a small guitar like the OO.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:51:15 AM »

Hi Philip. The oo-03R short scale from LA guitar sales is the first Larrivee I own, but never having played any of the others, I'm not able to offer you a comparison. My oo is the easiest playing  guitar I  have ever owned. A good set-up has much to do with that though. I also have an LS rosewood/IS and I'll admit to preferring Sitka over Italian spruce. Just seems to resonate more. It's smooth and rich sounding.

I'd be foolish to sell it,  which nearly happened a month ago. whistling 

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:57:57 AM »

Here's mine

Pain is a good thing
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »

The Wildwood version should be louder and project a bit more due to the standard scale. 

I agree with Danny that in general I believe I would prefer the longer standard scale on a smaller instrument like an 00.  If anything it would be the Italian top that would give me pause.  I personally like Sitka or Engelmann better.  Italian tends toward the Adirondak end of the tonal spectrum.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »

While it may be true that the standard scale guitar produces a little more volume than the short scale by virtue of the couple extra pounds of tension, medium strings accomplishes the same tension, thus the same result. In theory anyway. 

Pain is a good thing
zpcm04

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »

broKen,
Let me know if you have another moment of weakness and want to sell yours. 

I appreciate the other postings, but a little confused.  Seems like some think the Italian Spruce yields a more blended tone compared to Sitka and others think just the opposite.  Am I reading that correct?
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »

Italian tends toward the Adirondak end of the tonal spectrum.

+1    I feel that this is an accurate statement but Adi takes much longer to open up... much longer....  You could get a sitka/eir from Wildwood... may have to order it but cost would be the same ...  the trim on their customs is very nice... I like the herringbone around the soundhole and the top.   BobW... 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »

The Italian spruce on my mahogany LS seems more defined than sitka. I have always liked it's tone.
     But sitka spruce is very hard to beat overall. I think differing views on top wood is very normal. Folks like what they like and hearing tone differences is very subjective.
     The top wood and side/back woods will make for different sounds.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
zpcm04

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »

I want to use it more for fingerstyle in DADGAD. 

If I wanted to avoid a blended, bluesy sound, would that be sitka or italian?
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »

I want to use it more for fingerstyle in DADGAD. 

If I wanted to avoid a blended, bluesy sound, would that be sitka or italian?
I say Italian.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Bowie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »

I have a Wildwood custom with Italian top and it's truly amazing, though nothing like Adirondack.  It's not all that percussive and has a singing sustain that is the dominant character of this guitar.  It can get crisp if I use the right technique but it's not a bright guitar by any means.  It's more about the haunting sustain.
UncleBuck

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »

I am an original owner of a 00-03r from LA Guitar Sales. Great guitar. Sold my other 00's, and would sell this one now since it just stays in it's case. This is the short scale one. I would let it go for $900+ship.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »

I am an original owner of a 00-03r from LA Guitar Sales. Great guitar. Sold my other 00's, and would sell this one now since it just stays in it's case. This is the short scale one. I would let it go for $900+ship.
You might consider listing  in our For Sale Section

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: