Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High End Yamahas  (Read 2352 times)
acoustic84

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2005, 06:06:28 PM »

Hey guys, I just want to know if anybody has got their hands on any of the new yamaha L series handcrafted guitars.  Can't find a single one around here(Texas, D/FW).  But theres about a billion Japanese sites that have them.  But, getting to the point, I try to not be brand prejudice and would like to give all the brands in my price range a shot.  That includes Larrivee(d-03r) and possibly gibson(j-45r).  Ive looked at breedlove but honestly can't stand the way they look, although they are good guitars.  So I basically just want any info yall have on yamahas guitars, particially the LL16.  And heres a link to their guitars.
  http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/gu...ar/message.html

D-03r (Rosie)
jmhyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 02:55:15 PM »

acoustic84,

I'm surprised that nobody has had a response yet.  I wondered the same thing when I was shopping a few months ago (before I bought the D-09).  Perhaps it is because these guitars are just not very available in the U.S.  Maybe there's not a market for them??  Maybe people think that if they are going to spend over $750-$1000 for a guitar, they want to go with something thats made in the U.S.??  I just really don't know... :unsure:  

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 03:12:46 PM »

I've played very few Yamaha's that were't really nice.I left a message for the local Yamaha dealer to give me a buzz so I can get some info for you.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 05:02:52 PM »

Yamahas are among the best of the imported guitars.  They have been building acoustics for 40 years.

E. Shoaf
Ceballos23

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 07:24:51 PM »

I have a Yamaha LS400 for 3 years and I love it~

Guitar-tar-sauce will always be my Favorite~

Tacoma PKK40
Larrivee OO-05 Special Edition
Tacoma PK30E
Tacoma RR-8
Yamaha LS-400
rustychicken

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 07:27:21 PM »

i don't know a lot about this, but i've heard the L series Yamahas are incredibly nice,,,most anything Yamaha makes (high end) is great.

PastorChuck

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 08:31:49 PM »

Acoustic84

Try Mr.E's. Music

I saw a high end Yahama (the compass model) at their Fort Worth Store.
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 07:35:48 PM »

They drool for Larrivees in Japan.  I took my old Larrivee Parlor RW around to a few guitar shops in Yokohama last year and  everyone tried to buy it from me! lol

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
acoustic84

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 01:32:05 AM »

Acoustic84

Try Mr.E's. Music

I saw a high end Yahama (the compass model) at their Fort Worth Store.
Yea, I may call Mr. E's.  I really wanna give those Yamahas a try, but Guitar Adoptions is selling the d-03r so cheap its almost a no brainer :blink:  

D-03r (Rosie)
leesguitar

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 05:26:08 PM »

IVE JUST WRITTEN ON THE "YAMAHA VS GUILD "DEBATE SEE REPLY . I OWN A YAMAHA LL11 WHICH IS A FANTASTIC GUITAR ,MILES BETTER THAN THE MARTIN AND TAKAMINE ACOUSTICS IVE HAD. THE ONLY REASON IM SELLING IS TO BUY A LARRIVEE, IF I DONT SELL I WONT BE TOO DISSAPOINTED, IF I HAD MY WAY ID KEEP THE YAM AND BUY A LARRIVEE , BUT THE DIVORCE WOULD COST ME A FORTUNE !!! I GUESS YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

SRV Strat
Larrivee LV05
Wife
Kids
Many guitars gone to new homes
superhawk

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 02:52:03 AM »

Hey man, I've looked at the Yamahas.  

The Yamaha L Series are divided into the 6, 16, 26, and 36 Series.  I believe that the L Series are also known as the Chronos Series.  The LL represents the Yamaha version of the Dreadnought, the LJ represents the Yamaha version of the small Jumbo (similar to Auditorium/0000), and the LS represents the Yamaha version of the small body 000/OM style.  The suffix "X" denotes electronics and "C" represents cutaway.   Keep in mind that Yamaha dimensions on all bodies do not conform to 'industry standards.'  For example, the LL series dreads have a slightly larger than normal lower bout which exceeds the 16" norm.  

The 6 and 16 Series are made in Taiwan.  Only the 26 and 36 Series are made in Japan.  The 6 Series have rosewood laminated back and sides, and only the 16, 26, and 36 Series have solid rosewood back and sides.  All 6, 16, 26, and 36's appear to have solid Engelman spruce tops with very tight even grain.  All LL, LJ, and LS's appear to have 1 3/4" nut width (2004/05 models only).  All appear to have gold tuning machines.  All appear to have an abalone rosette, and ebony fingerboard/bridge.  The tuning machines on the 6, 16, and 36 Series appear to be enclosed Gotoh-esque in style.  The 26 Series have these cool looking vintage Waverly style open tuning machines.  

I've only played the LJ16 briefly and thought it was a nice guitar.  Fit and finish appeared superb, it projected well with pleasant tone, with good feel, and a nice neck.  Seemed a bit tight, but probably would open up over time.  Pricewise the LJ16 was a bit cheaper than the Larrivée L03R.   But keep in mind, imho, Yamahas sound nothing like Larrivées.  Yamahas have their own voice which some people really like.

As nice as the Yamaha L's are, my opinion is that the Larrivées offer much better value for the dollar in the US.  In Asia, it's reversed.  Larrivées and Martins are huge coin and the Yamahas are better values.  The price of the 26 and 36 Series here is crazy money, like more than the cost of a Northwood or 09 Series Larrivée.

Like many have opined, I don't think you could go wrong with either the D03 or D03R if it's a dread for which you're looking.  Personally, I'm drooling over the SD series Larrivées.  Those are just so unbelievably awesome.  I'm saving and counting the pennies.  Let's see - only 274,899 pennies to go!
george kraushaar

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 07:45:41 PM »

I had a black LS400 for awhile.  It was an extremely well built guitar with excellent fit and finish all around.  Like another poster wrote, mine did seem a little tight, but it had great balance, a pleasant tone, and great definition.  I recorded a CD two years ago in which the plan was to use my Martin CEO-5, but the LS400 sounded so much better in the studio that it was a no brainer.  But having owned an OM-09, that was another no-brainer.  The Yamaha didn't even come close.
george kraushaar

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 08:53:41 PM »

I had a black LS400 for awhile.  It was an extremely well built guitar with excellent fit and finish all around.  Like another poster wrote, mine did seem a little tight, but it had great balance, a pleasant tone, and great definition.  I recorded a CD two years ago in which the plan was to use my Martin CEO-5, but the LS400 sounded so much better in the studio that it was a no brainer.  But having owned an OM-09, that was another no-brainer.  The Yamaha didn't even come close.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: