LR BAGGS Element observations

Started by headsup, June 25, 2014, 07:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not sure if this stuff will matter to others, but I thought it important.

there are 2 Element models.

One with just the volume, the other with volume and tone (VTC)

I have both. The one with just the volume is the better of the two, with a bit more gain and a warmer fully sound out of the gate.
When I raised this point with the tech at Baggs, he told me that the VTC model had a built in pseudo compression chip in the circuit board, as well as something that rolls off the low end a tad.

something to do with the designing and adding a tone pot or something?

anyways, if contemplating a Baggs (certainly my preference for many years) it's something to consider.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on June 25, 2014, 07:43:04 AM

something to do with the designing and adding a tone pot or something?

This is likely the thing.  The 'pot' is a resistor and it likely is the culprit in reducing the volume, besides the 'auto-compression' circuit.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

there are 2 Element models.  One with just the volume, the other with volume and tone (VTC)

I have both. The one with just the volume is the better of the two, with a bit more gain and a warmer fully sound out of the gate.

Interesting.  I have a volume only Element  and like it a lot.  Just bought another one for a different guitar.  I had another brand active pickup with a tone control also and tech support said it only could only cut the highs.  Unless one had a very bright guitar, not very useful in my opinion.  I left it full on all the time.

not sure if this stuff will matter to others, but I thought it important.      there are 2 Element models.     One with just the volume, the other with volume and tone (VTC)

When I raised this point with the tech at Baggs, he told me that the VTC model had a built in pseudo compression chip in the circuit board, as well as something that rolls off the low end a tad.

anyways, if contemplating a Baggs (certainly my preference for many years) it's something to consider.

It is sad, n'est pas, that  company can't aim for any level of consistency in their products?

on the contrary, I use these elements exclusively on my LIVE gigging guitars.
It was merely an observation I noticed, which I now understand.

I was merely trying to let any one else know about the discrepancy, and how the response was, from a stage, gigging, back and forth perspective.

all good, it's a fine product, and very simple with minimal hardware inside the guitar, and always provides great results, providing you don't lean on them (like all UST's)
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...