"plastic" guitar suggestions

Started by broKen, May 24, 2014, 07:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey Y'all,
I've been thinking of getting a non-wood guitar. Any suggestions please. Leaning toward CA OX raw. Cheaper is better but not the little ones. Thanks   :donut :donut2 :coffee
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I've played a few of the CA's and I liked the fact that it has brace's on the top.I'm not sure if they come with truss rods or not,would be good if they did.They've always sounded good to me.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks Rob. They seem to hold their value too.
Pain is a good thing

Check out MacNichols guitars ,they carry most if not all of the carbon fiber guitars,,I owned a Cargo a few years back,,sorry I sold it.Good sounding guitar you can take anywhere.
Larrivee L-03 SP

Thanks. Been there and have heard good things about them. I'm looking for some trusted experience/advice from fellow forumites.
Pain is a good thing

I owned a Cargo but sold it as I couldn't stand the sound hole blaring in my ear. I should have bought the CA OX raw I auditioned it with. A nice balanced good sounding OM.

I prefer the CA brand as they sound like guitars whereas the Rainsongs sound like Taylors to me

The CA neck is very nice and will never move. Unless Peavy added one they don't have a truss rod adjustment.  A minor concern but it would be nice to have
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I havent heard the cargo but the scale keeps me from going there. Thanks Chris
Pain is a good thing

Well, after playing both of these guitars, a Rainsong 12 string is on my lifetime wish list, as is a Taylor 8 string Baritone.

A friend has a CA dreadnaught and it's surprisingly heavy.  The Rainsong would sing just by what seemed like breathing on the strings.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Thanks Scott. Rainsong makes their "shorty", which is a twelve fret short scale, but they are high $$$ for me.
Pain is a good thing

Rainsong "shorty"

Body is basically the same size as my Om-03R, slightly shallower.  This is one of the AGF customs from Ted at LA Guitar Sales.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 29, 2014, 09:56:28 PM
Rainsong "shorty"

Body is basically the same size as my Om-03R, slightly shallower.  This is one of the AGF customs from Ted at LA Guitar Sales.

Need a description of the tone and playability of that Rainsong!  The only thing I don't care for is the huge truss rod cover on the headstock. Really? On a guitar with a carbon neck that probably doesn't even need a truss rod? It should be more inconspicuous...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I think some composite material guitar makers specifically build the necks so a truss rod will allow custom setup.

I got in BIG trouble on another board (I got banned!) for calling plastic guitars what they are...  plastic.   :laughin:

I have had a couple...   not my bag, though there were a couple Rainsongs that were nice.  They were a bit high dollar for what they were IMO.  They are all durable as heck.  Except for a few Rainsongs, plastic guitars just don't have the tone I was looking for.

Ed

Hope I didn't offend using "plastic" to refer to those instruments. Are they some kind of resin reinforced with carbon-fiber woven fabric? Maybe I should ask this on some other site.

Edit:  Nevermind...I went to find out for myself.
Pain is a good thing

Composite guitar necks will bow over time.Plus I don't want want someone telling me how much relief should be in a neck.Thats like telling me I can't use my heavy guage strings.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Hey Rob, if the builders know that, wouldn't they save themselves some problems and warranty issues by using truss rods?
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on May 30, 2014, 12:49:34 PM
Hope I didn't offend using "plastic" to refer to those instruments. Are they some kind of resin reinforced with carbon-fiber woven fabric? Maybe I should ask this on some other site.

Edit:  Nevermind...I went to find out for myself.

That resin is plastic.  That was always good enough for me to define the guitars as plastic guitars.  There were people who took offense.  They took offense at my just saying that the resin was plastic.

Ed

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 30, 2014, 10:21:27 AM
Need a description of the tone and playability of that Rainsong!  The only thing I don't care for is the huge truss rod cover on the headstock. Really? On a guitar with a carbon neck that probably doesn't even need a truss rod? It should be more inconspicuous...

Playability is great.  When I first got it I thought it was a touch to bright.  Replaced the Elixir 80/20s with some EXP-16s which I like a lot better.  Might try some PB Elixirs next.

The unidirectional carbon top is supposed to sound more "wood like" than the ones where the plys go in all directions.

Perhaps some Kipling:
http://youtu.be/26RumjHN76E

Not sure how clear the guitar is over the vocals.

Quote from: broKen on May 30, 2014, 01:56:06 PM
Hey Rob, if the builders know that, wouldn't they save themselves some problems and warranty issues by using truss rods?

When graphite necks first came out all of the man. said they didn't need truss rod's,10 years latter I had to tell players either replace the neck or a trick I figured out was to hand the neck with a weight attached to it for year or more just trying to get out the bow.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Rainsong has basically stopped making guitars without truss-rods.

1)  Their customer base generally wants one, though there is a vocal minority who does not like it since the neck can be thinner without one.

2) The original design (without truss rod) uses a different mold than the one with the truss rod, and is much more labor intensive to use.  The molds are very expensive.

Thus if you want a 12-string Rainsong better buy one quick as they have stopped making them.

Quote from: cke on May 25, 2014, 09:50:59 AM

I prefer the CA brand as they sound like guitars whereas the Rainsongs sound like Taylors to me

Was that really necessary?  To each his or her own.  If all guitars sounded the same, that would be pretty boring.