School me on short scale electric

Started by abalone at last, May 18, 2014, 01:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like the title says ...if anyone has input to share on the sonic characteristics, playability, feel...would love to hear...thank you.

http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/images/full%20size%201033w/69FenderMustangCompBurgandy.jpg
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

For me, it is all about comfort.  Between choosing pickups (for sound) and string gauges (for desired tension), it's possible to get whatever sound you want out of any scale.  It has to do with whether you are comfortable with the scale, nut width, and fretboard radius or not. 

Ed

For me, a short scale would give a little less tension on the strings. This would make things like bending easier and therefore would be more appropriate for, say, blues guitar.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on May 18, 2014, 09:24:46 PM
For me, a short scale would give a little less tension on the strings. This would make things like bending easier and therefore would be more appropriate for, say, blues guitar.

f

Assuming you use the same gauge string on the short scale as you would on a longer scale.  I have found that if I want easier bends on a given scale, I use a lighter set of strings.  Otoh, if I want a tighter string, I bump up the gauge.

Ed