Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do "opened up" guitars close up again?  (Read 7476 times)
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »

The trouble in arguing this opening up of guitar tops (for me) is that I don't trust my ear and/or my memory over the long-term.
It's not that I don't accept that tops open up over time. I believe that they do.
I am, however, ever so slightly skeptical that most people can recall what their guitar sounded like 2 years ago and make some kind of critical analysis as to how it has changed.
OK, now I know that anyone reading this is not "most people" and I absolutely accept that you are the exception to the rule, and you can hear the difference, and you have no trouble whatever remembering exactly how it used to sound.
And I doff my hat to you. 
JamesN

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

I don't think guitar tops "close up"...

I don't know -- I think they can at least "go to sleep". My L27 was in the shop for about 3 months. When I got it back it was very subdued. It took a few days of playing before it really sprang back to life again. Granted that's an extreme. I certainly don't notice anything as dramatic if I ignore it for just a day or two.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »

I find this to be an interesting topic. Are we really talking about the whole guitar or just the top?

Since my F-III has been my go to guitar for 4 or 5 years now (Mark is right about memory to some degree) I can't say it has opened up or closed up due to periods of not playing it. I was very impressed with it the first time I played it in Vancouver and said "Larrivee you did it" very loudly, I think John and some of the workers thought I was a bit too much. But every time I pull the F-III out of the case it impresses me all over again. It is the only guitar that from the first string up till now after many years that has done that for me.
    Like Zohn mentioned string fatigue is what changes the tone on the F-III. It is mahogany with an Italian spruce top and it does just have "the sound" I enjoy in a guitar this size, mostly for finger style playing.

Rosewood and Sitka are another story for me. It seems like they do open and close up due to playing time.
But that amount of time varies from 30 minutes to several months or more depending on how much the guitar gets played. Just my two cents worth and based on experience with many guitars over the years. Nothing scientific just empirical evidence.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2014, 02:16:22 AM »

The trouble in arguing this opening up of guitar tops (for me) is that I don't trust my ear and/or my memory over the long-term.
It's not that I don't accept that tops open up over time. I believe that they do.
I am, however, ever so slightly skeptical that most people can recall what their guitar sounded like 2 years ago and make some kind of critical analysis as to how it has changed.
OK, now I know that anyone reading this is not "most people" and I absolutely accept that you are the exception to the rule, and you can hear the difference, and you have no trouble whatever remembering exactly how it used to sound.
And I doff my hat to you. 

I realize that you are a forum mod, but please accept this lowly forumite's suggestion to frame this post above in fully gold-leaf framing for reading of other forumites in perpetuity.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2014, 02:23:18 AM »

I realize that you are a forum mod, but please accept this lowly forumite's suggestion to frame this post above in fully gold-leaf framing for reading of other forumites in perpetuity.
    +1  We definitely have some mods that can turn a phrase or two.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: