Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kemper Profiling Amp - anybody?  (Read 4190 times)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »

Anybody else got one of these? (click the picture for details).

This thing is amazing. 12 pounds or ear-to-ear grinning for days.

I took my holy grail amp and profiled it.

--== Please click the picture for more details ==--

I'm completely blown away. Not only does the Kemper sound like my amp, it feels like it when I play.  The Kemper responds to input at the guitar like nothing I've experienced in any kind of processor.  Oh - and then there's the Rig Exchange where you can pick-up and share Rig profiles with people around the world.

I figure if anybody has one - it's Andrew. If not, you've got to check this out. They carry them at Long & McQuade. Kemper Profiling Amp at L&M

Ducktrapper - in case you're wondering, I'm running this through my Bose L1 Model II (just like the inventor Christoph Kemper has at the last two NAMM shows).  It also sounds really good through my Compact.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »

I have yet to see one of these looks interesting!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »

Hi Andrew,

You know the chest dent that you get when there's a new guitar in the house? Well if there's an equivalent to that for electric guitarists, I've got it bad. I'm running through the online library of owner contributed profiles (over 4400 of them). The number by itself sounds ridiculous, but it speaks to the excitement of the user community. By the time I'm done I may have half a dozen that I'll use regularly and perhaps 30 more that I'll keep for special situations (requests for covers).

I've got a couple of guitars around here that seem never to have found their voice when played through the gear I had here. I kept them because they were great players but never took 'em out cuz they didn't sound great. Well they've moved from wall-hangers to giggers.

I wasn't expecting this particular thread to get any traction but I thought you might get a kick outta reading about this thing.

Cheers!

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »

ST, knock a digit off the price, and I'll be able to pay attention.

I'm a huge fan of amp simulation.  My Zoom G5 cost about 1/10 of what looks like street price for the Kemper - and I have to say that I experienced the same thing with my Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue and trying out the various modeled amps in this unit as well as a Digitech RP500.

With the Zoom G5, I like the Two Rock Emerald amp simulation the best.  Two Rock is a bit of a boutique amp manufacturer from what I can tell, and I really like the variety of mellow to cutting tones I get from the various pups in the Epiphone.

Plus, the sound engineers at church love it because I'm not blasting the front rows of seats with uncontrolled volume.  You can chain up to 9 DSP processes, so there's really very little types of tones that you can't simulate and plenty that you can that aren't really very musical.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 06:39:25 PM »

Here's a little clip of how my big jazz box sounds through the Kemper through a Bose L1® Model II, recorded live in the air with an RM1 microphone.

L5 KPA L1 RM1

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:22:09 AM »

Here's a recording I made with my lowly Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue through the Zoom G5, using it's amp simulation and built-in effects.   I didn't write the song, but noodled over it.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/tim-fatchen-ravensea-collab

For the purposes of posting online and live performance, I find this very economical solution quite satisfying as I know it would take me years of amp selection, mic selection, effect chain selection, etc. to get a recorded tone as nice as what I can get from several presets in the Zoom G5.  I can't imagine how cool the Kemper must be.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 05:04:14 AM »

Hey Scott,

That's a beautiful track. Thanks for posting it. Nice to get to know you better.

ST

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 03:44:03 AM »

Hey Scott,

That's a beautiful track. Thanks for posting it. Nice to get to know you better.

ST

I posted it to show how even a very inexpensive amp simulation/effects unit (MSRP $299), with a rather inexpensive guitar (MSRP $329) can sound very nice, without need of having a perfect recording space or back-breaking weight of a killer combo amp.  I don't even own a 'real' amp any longer because where I play (mostly churches) I am almost always assured a connection to the PA - when I show up with this rig, the sound engineer smiles instead of curses under his/her breath.  Purists will always claim that they can hear differences of recordings made with a 'real' amp and those from a simulation - but when done blind, most lose track.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 06:49:25 PM »

As they say en Francais, ca m'interesse.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »

Well a year has come and gone since I got the Kemper, and I am just as enthralled with it today as I was when I got it.

I was at an outdoor jam last night. A (big) backyard party. Drums, bass, guitars, violin, flute, keys, and probably six or seven vocalists. I played along with folks doing whatever was happening (jazz, blues, r&b, ethnic, not much rock). My rig was the Kemper (12 pounds).  Initially I plugged into the PA but it was already taxed to the max. After a couple of tunes I brought in my L1® Compact (30 pounds including the tower extensions). That thing lives in the trunk of the car and it's perfect for stuff like this.

I was using the same rig at a couple of small clubs this week. It was great.

As Scott has told us, you don't have to spend a fortune to get live sound and while acknowledging that, I'm very happy with the value proposition that I've got with this rig. It's pretty much effortless and I value that very very highly.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 07:30:13 PM »

Well a year has come and gone since I got the Kemper, and I am just as enthralled with it today as I was when I got it.

I was at an outdoor jam last night. A (big) backyard party. Drums, bass, guitars, violin, flute, keys, and probably six or seven vocalists. I played along with folks doing whatever was happening (jazz, blues, r&b, ethnic, not much rock). My rig was the Kemper (12 pounds).  Initially I plugged into the PA but it was already taxed to the max. After a couple of tunes I brought in my L1® Compact (30 pounds including the tower extensions). That thing lives in the trunk of the car and it's perfect for stuff like this.

I was using the same rig at a couple of small clubs this week. It was great.

As Scott has told us, you don't have to spend a fortune to get live sound and while acknowledging that, I'm very happy with the value proposition that I've got with this rig. It's pretty much effortless and I value that very very highly.

I have a L-1 Compact system, as well. I'm going to look into the Kemper. Sounds like a decent, light rig for a small venue.  

On edit ... Whoah, I was not expecting the price on it! I suppose it's worth it if you can profile a Dumble or two but it's pricey. I'll continue to use my GP-20 for amp modeling for now.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »

Hi Ducktrapper,

There are over 6000 profiles available for free. There are several Dumbles among those.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 09:22:16 PM »

Hi Ducktrapper,

There are over 6000 profiles available for free. There are several Dumbles among those.

Yes, I see that. Very cool unit but not inexpensive.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 10:02:58 PM »

Just curious, how do you perform the profiling of other amps, effects, etc?

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 10:40:52 PM »

Hi Scott,

Basically you take a line out of the Kemper to the input of your amp. Then put a microphone in front of the amp's speaker and run that back to an input on the Kemper.

You can hook up a guitar (optional) and monitors (also optional). Then you just turn on the profiling process. The Kemper sends sounds to the amp and the mic picks up what the amp did with the sounds. You hear a bunch of R2D2 noises for about a minute or two. And then when it's done you can play your guitar and A/B the sound of your amp against the sound of the Kemper.

It takes less time than it took my to type this far in this post.

Here are some excerpts from the Kemper Profiling Guide.

You can download the Kemper Profiling Guide here:

http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/221/id/27/cat/30/do/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier___Downloads.html

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 01:59:09 AM »

Cool!

What I think it's doing then is recording a bunch of impulse responses - which is what many of the amp simulators have as their amp simulations.  The big difference though is that this gives you the ability to make your own impulse responses 'in the box' which is really cool.

I'm trying to think of where I saw someone using the Kemper profiling amp on a TV show the other day.  It was a house-band type of situation, but I can't for the life of me remember which show it was.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: