Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new LR Baggs dual source in my ls3 and some musings  (Read 986 times)
rustyp

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2014, 02:29:25 AM »

I just replaced another PU system in my LS3 with an LR Baggs Dual source system.

If you're not familiar with it, the Dual Source uses an UST and a mic. It combines the two sources in an internally mounted preamp.

I immediately noticed a bigtime abundance of bass and rolled off much of it. the bass gives the guitar the tendency to feedback.
Another interesting thing is that the amplified sound seems to accentuate the three or four highest strings. I need to change strings to see if it improves at all.

I moved the mic from where the tec installed it, directly underneath the intersection of the X, to the treble side of the upper bout. Maybe a little improvement, but still prone to feedback from the bass.

the interesting thing is this. I have a d-03 with a fishman blender in it, installed at the Larrivee factory in about 99. It sounds GREAT and RARELY do I have any trouble with bass feedback. I regularly play in front of stage monitors and I have the mic dialed way up and things are trouble free.

So, I'm wondering if this could be one negative aspect of 12 fretters with mics inside them. The more resonant placement of the bridge coaxes more lowmids/bass out of the guitar and this is transmitted through the mic.
 What do y'all think?

Larrivee d-03, My first "good" guitar
Larrivee p1 Dec 2000
Larrivee Forum III #31 Mom's estate gift to me
Boulder Creek tenor uke *2
Gibson SG 1980 gift from Dad for my 16th birthday
Yellow labrador
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:36:31 AM »

Only thing I can think of is to maybe try dialing back the mic's contribution to the total mix?  Does your setup have a notch filter in the chain somewhere?  Maybe you can find the peak resonance frequency of the entire setup and lower the response around that frequency?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

rustyp

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »

I will try dialing back the mic. It'll be a balancing act because  the very reason for it is that I often play a bit of body percussion on my guitar.

No, unfortunately I haven't needed a notch filter in the setup yet because the blender in the d03 has one built in if I need it. This may necessitate one.

I was just thinking yesterday that I sure like the no-cut option of an internal pre, but my side mounted Fishman blender on the d03 let's me dial things in just right.

Larrivee d-03, My first "good" guitar
Larrivee p1 Dec 2000
Larrivee Forum III #31 Mom's estate gift to me
Boulder Creek tenor uke *2
Gibson SG 1980 gift from Dad for my 16th birthday
Yellow labrador
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: