Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee RS-4 Compared to Bakersfield and Lancaster  (Read 2347 times)
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »

Considering the current Larrivee electrics, when comparing the RS-4 with P-90's which Larrivee model is most similar: the Bakersfield or Lancaster?  Why?
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:42:35 AM »

This is purely a guess, but I would think the Bakersfield would compare more closely to the RS-4 with P-90s.  They have a lot more features in common than the Lancaster and RS-4 have:  2 pickups VS 3 on the Lancaster, pickup placement in relation to the body is similar.  Single cutaway VS double on the Lancaster.

My Forum V has P-90s in it.  Although I've never seen or played the Bakersfield and Lancaster, I have a custom 51 replica telecaster with original specs pickups, that I built from Warmoth parts.  I also have a strat with 1961 vintage re-issue pickups.  They both have the typical sound and feel you would expect from these two Fender models.  I would say my "telecaster" sounds and feels more like the RS-4 than the strat does.  I would call it the "twang" factor.  The Tele and RS-4 have more twang for lack of a better term.  The strat is not so twangy.  When you strum a chord on a tele, the body seems more rigid and vibrates less than it does on a strat.  The strat's body seems more responsive to string vibration.  In that respect, my RS-4 behaves more like the tele than the strat.  I would also say that when you have all of these in your hands and are actually playing them, the tele and RS-4 feel more alike than the RS-4 and the strat.

My Gretsch Pro-Jet has P90s in it also.  It is quite similar in shape, woods, construction, etc. to the RS-4 and has the same pickup placement.  I would say it also is more similar in tone and feel to my telecaster clone than it is to my strat.

All that said, P90s and typical fender design single coils are not going to sound the same, so one has to take that into consideration.  One would need to put P90s in all 3 guitars to do that kind of comparison.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:37:40 AM »

I have an RS-2 with Larrivee's P-90's in it, and when the bridge tone control is all the way up (on '10'), it sounds a lot like a hot Tele bridge pickup - very bright and capable of twang. For that reason I almost always have the bridge tone on that guitar rolled back to around '6' ... where it sound more like a lot of other P-90 pickups.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I am trying to learn more about electric guitars.  Walkerman new Santa Monica has sparked my interest--again
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 04:34:59 AM »

I have an RS-2 with Larrivee's P-90's in it, and when the bridge tone control is all the way up (on '10'), it sounds a lot like a hot Tele bridge pickup - very bright and capable of twang. For that reason I almost always have the bridge tone on that guitar rolled back to around '6' ... where it sound more like a lot of other P-90 pickups.

Good to know.  Thanks for the info.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »

Good to know, as maybe a couple folks know, I haven't been real crazy about the bridge pup in my RS4 P90, for the exact reason you have spoken to.
 After discovering that alnico 8 magnets were used, I've acquired a set of Alnico 5's and will put them in.
 the "twang" from my side of the fence is, more of a  harsh and brittle twang, that I'm just not crazy about, considering the incredible sonic depth of it's RS4 HB counterpart.....
 different strokes i guess....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: