Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zager guitar is NOT a scam....Do some real research  (Read 4195 times)
dwbadboy

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »

I don't know where any of you are getting the false information regarding Zager guitars...But I can tell you. I have a Zager 900CE and BY FAR... it is the best guitar I have ever played....I have been playing for 28 years and played everything from Martins, and Taylors to Breedloves and Gibsons...I loved mine so much that I immediately purchased a ZAD20E mahogany for my wife...Her guitar is amazing as well....do some research folks...look at the video walkthroughs and reviews from well known musicians who have played them for years...and oh yeah there is a 100% return policy and they pay shipping BACK to the factory if you don't like it which is unheard of and oh....NOT IN CHINA!! They are made in Lincoln Nebraska.
raytheprinter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 04:12:10 AM »

I saw they had some EZ Play Larrivees for sale.I wrote to them asking what they did to the stock guitar ,,and I never got an answer. So much for customer service.

Larrivee L-03 SP
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:19:23 AM »

I've held one instance of a Zager in my hands.  I took photos, and I took a photo of the label.  There was no country of origin shown anywhere on the label.  I just spent some time on the website, and there's no indication of the country of origin on the website other than this comment:

"Besides doing the work on the guitars Denny also does a personal inspection and plays each guitar before it’s packaged and sent to you. "  The website talks about custom string height, spacing, etc.  I still believe, until it's proven otherwise, that these are imported guitars on which Mr. Zager may do some tuning work.

Now, if these were indeed made in the USA, instead of modified in the USA, Mr. Zager would be well advised to put that on the label and the website.

Here's the photo of the label: https://flic.kr/p/nLQuLc

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:13:04 AM »

This is what you may end up with if you buy a "Zagerized" guitar.    His "string science" is nothing that any good luthier  could not do much better.
check out these pictures:

http://www.digitalcartography.com/ZagerGuitar.htm

broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 04:36:04 AM »

Thanks for that link. I worked on a friends Alvarez recently that appeared to have had some fret work done similar to the pictures on that article.  "String science"....yeah right.  rolleye

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 05:45:51 AM »

This is what you may end up with if you buy a "Zagerized" guitar.    His "string science" is nothing that any good luthier  could not do much better.
check out these pictures:

http://www.digitalcartography.com/ZagerGuitar.htm

I live in Omaha, but ironically, living this close to Zager (about an hour from Lincoln, NE), I've NEVER seen one of his guitars or heard anyone local talk about having one or playing one.

Also, why does someone come to this forum who has never posted here before (and strangely, even though "dwbadboy" has posted here, his # of posts is 0, not 1?), and act like someone here has been slamming Zager guitars ... did I miss something? Another thread on this? (I'll check...)

Something smells...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 05:56:21 AM »

I live in Omaha, but ironically, living this close to Zager (about an hour from Lincoln, NE), I've NEVER seen one of his guitars or heard anyone local talk about having one or playing one.

Also, why does someone come to this forum who has never posted here before (and strangely, even though "dwbadboy" has posted here, his # of posts is 0, not 1?), and act like someone here has been slamming Zager guitars ... did I miss something? Another thread on this? (I'll check...)

Something smells...

There was a thread a few months ago in which some asked about Zager guitars. Where were you? 

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 06:08:15 AM »

I don't remember much conversation on this forum about Zager guitars over the past several years.  But I can tell you that on the Acoustic Guitar Forum there was general outrage when the forum administration decided to let Zager advertise on their forum.   it became very heated.  I decided to avoid any participation in that from that forum since then.   
As far as the original poster here..   Who knows what the motive may have been.  He is gone in the wind, apparently.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:30:15 AM »

There was a thread a few months ago in which some asked about Zager guitars. Where were you? 

Even though I've hung out here for several years, I didn't start checking out the Other Guitars Forum until recently - I spent all my time on the Acoustics and Electrics forums (with an occasional stop at the For Sale forums).

I just thought it seemed kinda strange for a new person to come barging in here, starting a new thread to get all defensive about something no one is talking about. It just smells a little like a troll - and as Lynn (tuffy) observed, he hasn't returned to answer questions. 

Maybe he's playing his Zager guitar in concert somewhere over the Memorial Day weekend... 

And by the way, dwbadboy: 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 06:38:05 AM »

P.S. I'll ask around this week and see if there's any local first hand knowledge about the Zagers. There should be; the guy who runs one of the local music stores (I've done a lot of business with him and consider him a friend; our bands have also shared the same stage a few times) has branches in both Omaha and Lincoln - I'm sure he knows something about them.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »

The original post smells like SPAM to me.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »

The original post smells like SPAM to me.

What I meant, in 8 words.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 09:06:16 PM »

I stopped in at Dietze Music* this afternoon to ask the owner, Tim, about Zager guitars. At the mention of Zager he immediately said "Don't buy one!" I said not to worry, I had no plans to, I just wanted to know if he'd had any in hand so he could give me the straight scoop. His comments pretty much mirror the photos from the link a few posts above.

Tim said that Zager buys the guitars from overseas and then does his "string science" on them...which consists of removing the nut (and in the process changing the location of the nut/zero fret), widens the string spacing, and maybe does some work on the frets. He said they're basically $199-299 instruments that he tweaks and sells for $799 on up (as much as $1,500!). They have solid tops like most $250-300 import guitars today, and they compare in quality with those instruments in every other way.

Tim said a kid in Lincoln took his '67 Tele to Zager to have it's nut "fixed," and he said Zager sawed out the old nut, widening the slot, and essentially ruined a vintage guitar neck (it was unplayable in tune/unfixable with he brought it to Dietze to have them look at it). He told the kid that Zager had ruined his guitar's neck. The kid went back and told Zager, so Zager called up Tim and complained to him for badmouthing him and telling the kid he'd ruined his guitar. Tim told him he wasn't badmouthing him - because he did ruin the kid's vintage instrument!

I watched a few more You Tube videos done by persons "endorsing" the Zagers, and I thought they all sounded pretty underwhelming.

*JMHO, and the opinion of a music store business owner who has been in business for many, many years with four locations in the Omaha/Lincoln area. Deitze has held it's own through a couple Mars Music stores and now Guitar Centers coming through town, not to mention competing successfully all the online retailers these days. I've done business with them for almost 20 years, and I trust their judgment (and yes, I understand anyone can be tempted or motivated to knock their competitors).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »

Now, if these were indeed made in the USA, instead of modified in the USA, Mr. Zager would be well advised to put that on the label and the website.

Here's the photo of the label: https://flic.kr/p/nLQuLc

His added gold label with his signature on it is probably hiding the country of origin on the original label, judging from your photo...

...how convenient.   rolleye

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
rbpicker

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:14:33 PM »

I recently attended a folk concert where a Zager was being played.  It really didn't sound very good at all.  Not sure what the guy paid for it (or why he bought it as he normally plays a very nice older Martin D28), but there it was. Not impressed at all by that one example.

RB
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:57 AM »

I've had one come thru the shop once,wasn't impressed.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: