Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lr baggs element  (Read 1910 times)
johnr

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2014, 05:40:08 PM »

hi folks, my larrivee came thru with the lr baggs element already installed. i play thru a fishman soloamp every wknd at a small restaurant [solo].it seems to me this pup sounds quacky to me.i've tried my boss ge7  EQ pedal and all it did was make me louder, would any "device" between the guitar and the soloamp help  out? i've tried all kinds of adjustments.thanks!
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »

I started using the at2050 mic for both voice and guitar. Works great. If that fits your style. No cables. I like that.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »

hi folks, my larrivee came thru with the lr baggs element already installed. i play thru a fishman soloamp every wknd at a small restaurant [solo].it seems to me this pup sounds quacky to me.i've tried my boss ge7  EQ pedal and all it did was make me louder, would any "device" between the guitar and the soloamp help  out? i've tried all kinds of adjustments.thanks!

UST pickups, such as the Baggs Element, are notorious for piezo "quack", which can be traced in large part to voltage spikes coming from the piezo element.  Sure, higher headroom preamps help.  EQ can help.  But the quack is often still present to some degree.  Some don't mind it.  Some like it.  To my ears, it sucks.  The best tool to eliminate UST quack is to replace the pickup with something else.  The second best solution is to use one of the Fishman Aura products, or the DTAR Mama Bear. 
giff06

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »

I replaced the Element in my LV03 with the Baggs Anthem and was very pleased with the results. Its a pretty simple swap and not a lot more $ if you sell the element on flea bay.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 11:57:30 PM »

ok folks, I've been at this issue since the dead sea was sick.
 this is what I know.

every piezo will have "quack" or acoustic transient harshness if you strum or lean in harder than you need to.
every singer, musician on stage pounding their guitar will have this problem.

the answer is really simple, lighten your attack up, considerably.
 really, i mean this.

stop playing the guitar so hard, especially if you have sound reinforcement. THAT is why we use sound reinforcement.

I have the LR Baggs element in two of my hardest working larrivee's, every sound man, many audience folks and fellow  musicians LOVE the sound of my guitars, because I don't lean on them, and until recently- that was using crappy house DI's.

for a very sensitive 1971 larrivee and an equally sensitive Oskar Graf, I use a B-Band system, but the end result is the same.
 try playing with less attack, less attack= less quack.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »

ok folks, I've been at this issue since the dead sea was sick.
 this is what I know.

every piezo will have "quack" or acoustic transient harshness if you strum or lean in harder than you need to.
every singer, musician on stage pounding their guitar will have this problem.

the answer is really simple, lighten your attack up, considerably.
 really, i mean this.

stop playing the guitar so hard, especially if you have sound reinforcement. THAT is why we use sound reinforcement.

I have the LR Baggs element in two of my hardest working larrivee's, every sound man, many audience folks and fellow  musicians LOVE the sound of my guitars, because I don't lean on them, and until recently- that was using crappy house DI's.

for a very sensitive 1971 larrivee and an equally sensitive Oskar Graf, I use a B-Band system, but the end result is the same.
 try playing with less attack, less attack= less quack.

This is true - and one way to get that without altering playing style if you strum  = thinner picks.

With that said, with all of the reasonably priced options on the market these days, there's no reason to settle for piezo USTs.  My Fishman currently serves as a shim!

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »

well, I can't agree with that either, a thin pick, for me, makes for a thin sound, but more and more lately, i have been using flesh of fingers on strings, underscoring my post of the very good response regarding a UST system.

if yours is being used for nothing more than a shim, I'd yank it, as anything that gets between the bottom of your bone saddle and it's relationship with the slot/bridge will certainly be a detriment, (no matter how minimal), and these days, very little bit counts...(so i figure anyways) 

Like over 50?

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »

well, I can't agree with that either, a thin pick, for me, makes for a thin sound, but more and more lately, i have been using flesh of fingers on strings, underscoring my post of the very good response regarding a UST system.

if yours is being used for nothing more than a shim, I'd yank it, as anything that gets between the bottom of your bone saddle and it's relationship with the slot/bridge will certainly be a detriment, (no matter how minimal), and these days, very little bit counts...(so i figure anyways) 

Well, yanking it would then mean needing a new saddle, and finding a local luthier to shave/set it up properly, etc.  I haven't needed that since moving cross-country, but I suppose you are right that it would be better to connect string to wood in as direct manner as possible.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »

Hey Headsup,
What B Band pickup do you use?  A store on the AGF is blowing out the A2.2 for $60.  I was thinking about getting one for one of my Larrivees.  I understand it combines a UST with a soundboard transducer.  I have a Baggs Imix in my other Larrivee, which sounds pretty good.  Do you recommend B Band?

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »

Hey Headsup,
What B Band pickup do you use?  A store on the AGF is blowing out the A2.2 for $60.  I was thinking about getting one for one of my Larrivees.  I understand it combines a UST with a soundboard transducer.  I have a Baggs Imix in my other Larrivee, which sounds pretty good.  Do you recommend B Band?

I have the AST/UST in one of my handmaids, which is quite lovely, except for the amount of stuff inside the guitar. the blend knob is very smart.
 In another I just have the basic UST system.
 Not everybody is a fan of B-Band, but when I started using their systems several years ago, they were the only company that had managed to overcome the attack transience issue (quack).

I would be careful of the asian copies though, they are very poor, and not really B-Band. Make sure the dealer is reputable.

Like over 50?

247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »

Acoustic Pro Musician is the guy selling them.  Pretty solid reputation as they only deal in high end handmade guitars.  He says he put the A2.2 in the guitars they sell when someone wants a pickup.  They bought a bunch of them and are selling off some of them .  No box,but only $60.  I recently helped my son put a Lyric in his Larrivee L05.  It just sounds a little boxy, no matter how you try to adjust it.  Pretty disappointing after all the hype....I may just give the B Band a shot.
Thanks for the response.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
johnr

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »

ok; what is a B-Band? all i really want to do is add something in between my guitar and my soloamp...what can i use? [don't wanna yank the pickup out yet. i'm strictly a fingerpicker.no flatpick.thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: