Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elixir HD Lights  (Read 3530 times)
mas music

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:00:11 AM »

For 2014 Taylor has switched from 80/20"s to Phosphor Bronze. Beyond this they created a new set of strings in collaboration  with Elixir for there GC AND GA guitars. HD Lights feature the E,A & D from a light set, the G is between a light and a medium, the B and high E are Mediums. They are said to produce better treble and Bass response. I put a set on my Larrivee, as promised they sound fabulous while retaining the feel of light strings. Highly recommended 

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:00:59 AM »

For 2014 Taylor has switched from 80/20"s to Phosphor Bronze. Beyond this they created a new set of strings in collaboration  with Elixir for there GC AND GA guitars. HD Lights feature the E,A & D from a light set, the G is between a light and a medium, the B and high E are Mediums. They are said to produce better treble and Bass response. I put a set on my Larrivee, as promised they sound fabulous while retaining the feel of light strings. Highly recommended 

Interesting. I haven't found them anywhere online, but then I haven't looked that hard. I'm already sold on Phosphor Bronze, but leery of going up in gauge on the treble strings. That'd take some getting used to. I saw on Elixar's site that there's about a 10% reduction in string tension on the top compared to the light's Taylor uses, so I imagine that would give a different sound overall.

I have a mahogany topped 12 fret I'd love to brighten up some, maybe the HD's would do it. Where did you get your set?

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:19:56 AM »

Pickup them up at my local Guitar center

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Taylor 562ce
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 03:46:56 AM »

,,,thanks for the tip ....they are definately in the future for my new dreadnaught

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:45:34 AM »

Hmmn,

I would think one would want to go the other way, with the bass strings slightly heavier and the trebles lights.

Might try some of these on my Rainsong.  The Elixir 80/20s it came with were a touch too bright, and the EXP-16's I have on now lack sparkle.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »

D'Addario EJ24 PB.  They call them True Medium. Sound great, last long. Its all I use.
E.  .013
B.  .017
G.  .024
D.  .032
A.  .042
E.  .056

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:35:07 AM »

Pickup them up at my local Guitar center

Thanks, took me three stores, but I finally found them. Didn't know they offered 80/20's in HD, not a fan of 80/20s. Did find the Phos/Bronze ones and will review soon.

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:20:45 PM »

As promised these strings sound great but after a month I began  to grow weary of the extra tension on the high B & E strings. I swapped the 3 top strings back to lights. The sound is slightly diminished but the feel is much more comfortable for me, a fair trade off. Still if you don't mind the extra tension these are great strings.

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Taylor 562ce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: