Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin in the Shop  (Read 1610 times)
sawdustdave

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »

Took my Martin JC16WE into the shop Saturday. The winter was so dry the top cracked - again. Now, I've been lectured again by a luthier about keeping humidity levels up. Problem is this:  I had 2 humidifiers in the room with the guitars and piano. Martin in it's case, with a sound hole humidifier. Checked often. The room never got above 26% humidity. Ever.

There is really nothing else I can do to get more moisture in the house. It's hot water heat, so radiators, not forced air. It was a brutally cold winter.

At least the crack is easy enough to repair. (Actually, it's a crack were an older crack was previously repaired...). Won't be expensive, either. Actually, pretty cheap.

Oh, and my Larrivee OM-3 was out almost all winter, same room, no fret problems, no intonation issues, etc. Nor the Walden... Just the Martin. Problem child...

Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog
Bas

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »

Too bad about your Martin. I'm glad your other instruments are fine. 26% humidity is really, really low. What size is the room? What about ventilation? There has to be something you can do to prevent your guitar top from cracking.

Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Taylor GS "Bottleneck" Mini-e RW (2014)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition ⊷ Little Green Wonder, Sweet Honey Overdrive & Silver Spring Reverb
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:58 PM »

I live in the mountains of Oaxaca, Mexico....  Humidity gets into the single digits during the dry season.... which is just coming to an end....
... next is rainy season....  we have no heating or A/C here....

I use Planet Wave's Humidipak Automatic Humidity Control System...  I also put a sponge humidifier in the case, too... check them daily.  The humidipak lasts me 3+ months and the sponge needs refilled every 2-3 days...  so far no problems...  I only have my OO-03r with me... just sold a recording king that with-stood the low humidity in the same manner...

Thus far I am pleased with this system.... BobW...
sawdustdave

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »

Too bad about your Martin. I'm glad your other instruments are fine. 26% humidity is really, really low. What size is the room? What about ventilation? There has to be something you can do to prevent your guitar top from cracking.

Ventilation? There's enough airflow between the cracks in this old house....   bigrin  Not sure there's anything I can do except put the guitars in a closet with a humidifier. But that would eliminate warmth from 'em, as well - the closets are built between bedroom walls and the roof. This is an old home...

Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog
Bas

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »

I can see your point. A room-wide solution is probably not possible, indeed. That likely makes BobW's solution your best option.

Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Taylor GS "Bottleneck" Mini-e RW (2014)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition ⊷ Little Green Wonder, Sweet Honey Overdrive & Silver Spring Reverb
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 02:50:23 AM »

Which reminds me, time to "water the guitars".   I swear one of these days I am going to sell off everything except my favorite Larrivee and go all carbon fiber.

Sorry to hear about the crack on the Martin.

JC-16WE?   I assume that's a 16 series Jumbo Cutaway made from walnut.  Not a common instrument.  Love to see pictures of the walnut.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »

What type of room humidifier do you use? I have been using the high capacity console type with good results for years. The one I have now can put up to 9 gallons of water into the air. It has a 3 speed fan and I run it on high at night, but to keep the wife happy turn it down during the day.
     These water bath type units do need regular cleaning and a bacteriastat to prevent slime from growing in them, but they allow me to keep guitars out on the walls or stands for most of the heating season.
     The one I use now came from Grainger's, but Amazon has them. I do case up the guitars if it drops below 35% consistently. Then I put a Herco or planet waves humidifier in the case as well. So far no cracks.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: