Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strap button location on LV-03e  (Read 647 times)
fredsilha

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »

Hi group. I just purchased on LV-03 and need some advice an where to install the strap button on the heel of the neck. In reading some of the posts on thee topic, it appears that the Treble side of the neck heel is the best spot, but can anyone tell me the best spot...specifically? Thanks!
oldblackdogs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »

Hi.  Buried somewhere on the Larrivee site is a FAQ section that has the answer you need.  I only knew about it because I just recently stumbled upon it:

http://www.larrivee.com/faq.php#10

From that page- "There are two places to install a strap button on a Larrivée guitar. The two choices are on the heel cap or is the passenger side of the heel itself. We currently recommend that the strap be added to the side of the heel. One caution: Be sure to pre-drill the strap button hole. Simply screwing in the strap button may cause the wood to split. There is no need to worry about running into metal bolts when drilling the hole. Larrivée guitars use a dovetail joint. There's nothing in there but wood. You may also want to consider tying the end of the strap at the headstock just past the nut. This used to be a standard practice, and I'm not sure why it has fallen out of favor. Personally, I prefer the way the guitar hangs when the strap is so attached. It pulls the neck a bit closer to the player's body."

So, I guess as long as the button faces generally downward (minimizing the chance the strap slips off), you should be golden.  Have fun!

Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 01:48:57 AM »

I installed one on my LV-03, treble side of heel, and chose 1-1/2" from the fret board and 1" from the body of the guitar measured from the ridge in the side created by the cut away. As previously mentioned, absolutely pre-drill a hole slightly smaller than the screw being used, and I'd also highly recommend putting a bit of bee's wax on the screw threads before inserting into the hole. A very wise old boat builder I worked for decades ago told me that wax is best. Some folks use a bit of soap but I was told it can slowly eat at the wood. 

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: