Larrivee 80's electric guitars

Started by igrishenko, March 05, 2014, 07:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your opinions on them? Especially the Neck-thru models.

I'm a fan myself, I've been looking to get one for a while but they usually disappear as soon as they're listed. Does anyone also think Larrivee should re-issue these?

I've attached a picture of Matt Larrivee holding one of the said electrics

Here's one of mine. Its a beaut. Tremendous workmanship and top notch hardware easy to play.

Honestly tho only music friends I know who get excited about it are the heavy metal crowd - because of headstock  :rolleye:

Not sure a reissue would garner much attention as never played by a household name of the 80's

Just my opinion
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Kee Marcello played one in the 80's. He had several

Quote from: igrishenko on March 05, 2014, 07:41:50 PM
Kee Marcello played one in the 80's. He had several
:thumb A great one tho the name isn't that recognizable in North America.  And for those that barely know him likely think he mainly played a Gibson  :rolleye:

Name another  :?

Well you get my point I'm sure
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Ah I see your point. I think the main reason is because the majority of Larrivee's electric sales at that time were actually in Europe. By the time they had made an impact with Kee's endorsement they stopped electric production.

I just think that they're great guitars and should be given a new life. I've played several myself and they were so well made it just makes sense to me to re-issue them. Especially that metal and other "shred" type music styles are gaining more and more popularity. It's an original guitar, not a Jackson, Kramer, or any other. It just seems like it was a major part of their electric history and it'd be great to see that revisited

Quote from: igrishenko on March 05, 2014, 08:14:57 PM
Ah I see your point. I think the main reason is because the majority of Larrivee's electric sales at that time were actually in Europe. By the time they had made an impact with Kee's endorsement they stopped electric production.

I just think that they're great guitars and should be given a new life. I've played several myself and they were so well made it just makes sense to me to re-issue them. Especially that metal and other "shred" type music styles are gaining more and more popularity. It's an original guitar, not a Jackson, Kramer, or any other. It just seems like it was a major part of their electric history and it'd be great to see that revisited
I agree and I'd most likely buy one! Anyone else?

I love mine although the same Matthew Larrivée referred to it as "hideous". I call it Hidecki the Hideous in his honour. Thanks Matt! 

:thumb

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 05, 2014, 07:59:24 PM
:thumb A great one tho the name isn't that recognizable in North America.  And for those that barely know him likely think he mainly played a Gibson  :rolleye:

Name another  :?

Well you get my point I'm sure

The one other was Neal Schon (Journey, early Santana, etc.). Schon had a signature "Schon" guitar that was first made by Jackson, then Schon pulled it from them and chose Larrivee to continue making the model. I'm not sure how many Larrivee Schon guitars were actually made, but I think it was only in the hundreds, like around 6-700 maybe?

Even this would not be popular enough to drive a reissue by Larrivee though, as there were so few of these made/sold. (Besides, since then, Schon has had a signature Gibson Les Paul model (with Floyd Rose trem) and a signature PRS, which I think is still in production.)

There was a write up about it in Guitar Player magazine back in the day - I remember having that issue...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Janne Schaffer is a pretty well known guitarist that pretty much always plays his Larrivee.

Here's an excerpt from his Wikipedia page:

"Jan Erik Tage Janne Schaffer (born 24 September 1945 in Stockholm, Sweden) is a Swedish songwriter and guitarist. He is best known for his work as a session guitarist for ABBA but he has also recorded with artists such as Bob Marley, Johnny Nash, Art Farmer and Tony Williams. He also played at the 1977 Montreux Jazz Festival.
His 1979 album Earmeal included session work from brothers Jeff, Steve and Mike Porcaro, as well as their father, Joe Porcaro. This is one of the few instances where the entire Porcaro family appears together on one album, the most well-known examples being Toto's Toto IV and The Seventh One.
Schaffer is a member of the Electric Banana Band where he plays guitar as the character 'Zebra'. Schaffer received the Albin Hagström Memorial Prize in 1999."

http://youtu.be/QUUGxe-ar9s

In almost every video clip and picture I could find of him from the 1980's and beyond he's playing his red Larrivee.

If he weren't such a great player, this would be embarrassing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpfJIvlX_c&list=RDx5_DmWPiyR8

But I'm not laughing - great playing!

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 09, 2014, 03:14:40 PM
If he weren't such a great player, this would be embarrassing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpfJIvlX_c&list=RDx5_DmWPiyR8

But I'm not laughing - great playing!

I hadn't seen that video before, he's a great player.

I know the guitars might not get a lot of attention in North America but there's a chance they could be big in Europe. Especially since they're legendary in the eyes of Kee Marcello fans and Europe (the continent not the band  :winkin: ) loves it's metal and awesome shred guitars

I have a couple.
the amber burst is a rebuild.
the blue flame one is probably gonna migrate elsewhere.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

headsup,

Those two "archtop" RS-4's must be from around the end of the electric model run (late 80's early 90's); according to what I read somewhere, that body style came in toward the end of the run.

Quote from: headsup on March 10, 2014, 05:08:39 PM
I have a couple.
the amber burst is a rebuild.
the blue flame one is probably gonna migrate elsewhere.

Looks like the amber burst has those elusive nonebuckers in it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote from: igrishenko on March 05, 2014, 07:18:41 PM
What are your opinions on them? Especially the Neck-thru models... I've been looking to get one for a while but they usually disappear as soon as they're listed. Does anyone also think Larrivee should re-issue these?

I have a early model 1983 neck through destroyer pointy shape one in (very) red. I think what makes the 80's Larrivee electrics work is the ebony fretboard. I would love to see that as part of the new Lancaster re-issue.
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

Quote from: madoclake on March 31, 2014, 08:43:25 PM
I have a early model 1983 neck through destroyer pointy shape one in (very) red. I think what makes the 80's Larrivee electrics work is the ebony fretboard. I would love to see that as part of the new Lancaster re-issue.

I'll bet you could "custom order" it with one. That's a pretty easy thing to do for a company who's acoustics all have ebony boards.

The ebony fingerboard, on all Larrivee acoustics, yet rosewood on the electrics is a curious thing for sure.
I do believe the earlier (mid eighties) had ebony fingerboards, certainly some did, not sure why, for instance the RS4 (monterey)  didn't come with ebony. maybe some-one more in the know will enlighten us....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 06, 2014, 08:23:21 AM
I love mine although the same Matthew Larrivée referred to it as "hideous". I call it Hidecki the Hideous in his honour. Thanks Matt! 

You had me at Hidecki

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on April 24, 2014, 11:20:22 PM
You had me at Hidecki

Who knew that you used to be Japanese guitar makers?   :laughin: