Help me choosing Amps/PA's for live performance

Started by Pilibe, February 06, 2014, 08:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've just ordered my larrivee LV-03R with K&K PMW through Bill Ward at Trinity.. Im so ansious.. Now I need some helps with amps/PAs.. I play in a band and we usually play rock songs (Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd, some brazilians bands too).  I Play guitar (rhythm), there is another one who plays too (acoustic guitar - lead), a singer and one guy playing electric cajon. We play for a public of 50-100 people.. What would you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Bruno
Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S

A couple of questions. Are you looking for a amp/P.A. for yourself or for the entire band? What are you using now?

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 06, 2014, 09:36:44 AM
A couple of questions. Are you looking for a amp/P.A. for yourself or for the entire band? What are you using now?

Thanks for your attention Ducktrapper. I'm looking for the entire band. We are currently using 3 electric amps (1 Meteoro 60 Watts -  Voice, 1 Marshall - 30 Watts Guitar1 - and 1 Fender 45 watts - Guitar2  (I don't know the models)). The cajon is usually unplugged but we would like to plug it too.
Thank you again!
Bruno
Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S

Quote from: Pilibe on February 06, 2014, 09:58:10 AM
Thanks for your attention Ducktrapper. I'm looking for the entire band. We are currently using 3 electric amps (1 Meteoro 60 Watts -  Voice, 1 Marshall - 30 Watts Guitar1 - and 1 Fender 45 watts - Guitar2  (I don't know the models)). The cajon is usually unplugged but we would like to plug it too.
Thank you again!
Bruno

How many vocalists?

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 06, 2014, 10:29:10 AM
How many vocalists?

Sorry, I forgot to mention. There are 2 vocalists, one using the meteoro, and the other one (backvocal) playing the guitar and singing using Fender.
Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S

Okay, I'm going to assume you don't want to spend a lot of money. You're playing small rooms with 50-100 people. Your acoustic guitars are not working that well through those amps. Am I right? I'm just trying to get the parameters down. There are lots of folks here who know more than I do. So far, I'm wondering if the Fender Passport systems or the individual Bose compact systems might not work very well for you guys.   

You right, We don't want to spend a lot of money.. And yes, our acoustics guitars are not working that well. As I've just ordered a Larrivee, I would like to hear the Larrivee sound through the speakers.. You know what I mean? If I plug it at a electric guitar amp I know it will lose some quality.. But we don't need professional equipments.. I don't know anything about Fender Passport system neither the Bose compact systems.. But I will read somethings about them..
Thank you!
Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S

I would be tempted (as I did!) to secure two decent powered 12" speakers and a mixer with effects.  I use Behringer B12D speakers and a 10 input Behringer mixer with effects for reverb, et al.  You can spend much more or much less on the speakers but the beauty of it is you can ADD more powered speakers in your chain as your venue grows.

I also use a Fishman Loudbox mini behind me on stage as a monitor and take the feed from that if I'm playing solo.

You will have lots of folks give you advice, so take good notes, do price comparisons and if possible go plug into someone elses' system to see if you like it.  If you are happy with your sound, chances are good your audience will agree!
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

I have a few different rigs for different occasions, but small powered JBL EON's are very versatile and quite kind to acoustic guitars and voice.

I have never found that the K & K mini can cut through any mix with that instrumentation, it's a nice warm fuzzy sound, as a solo, but difficult to EQ when leaned on..
lots of advice around here for sure, go to a good store and try stuff out, read reviews.
good luck!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on February 11, 2014, 08:28:49 AM
I have a few different rigs for different occasions, but small powered JBL EON's are very versatile and quite kind to acoustic guitars and voice.

I have never found that the K & K mini can cut through any mix with that instrumentation, it's a nice warm fuzzy sound, as a solo, but difficult to EQ when leaned on..
lots of advice around here for sure, go to a good store and try stuff out, read reviews.
good luck!

I was thinking about buying a K&K preamp.. Would it be enough to solve this problem? Or maybe should I try another pickup? Could you suggest one?
Thanks!!
Bruno
Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S

I don't want to suggest anything, what works for me doesn't work for others.
and vice versa, i hear wonderful things about K & K on this forum, and both guitars I had the system in I couldn't use live.
even after buying a very good acoustic guitar pre amp. That is just my tastes and preferences, there will be someone chime in with a suggestion that worked for them, and that is the advice i suggest you take.

pick ups, guitars, strings, capo's, amp's PA's etc, are all very personal matters, every one who chimes in will have a different preference, so the real trick is trying out and finding out what works best for you and your gang.

Like over 50?

Hi!

I use a Yamaha Stagepass 500 system. It consists of two well built speakers (10 inch and horn tweeter) and a small powered mixer which fits in to the back of one of the speakers.

The mixer has 7 inputs 4 with xlr (microphone) inputs, but all 7 have 1/4 inch inputs for guitars, keys, ETC.
when I use the system on my gigs, I run my Larrivee d 03, a cajon with a mic on it, and one vocal. But there would be room for at least one more vocal and three more plugged instruments.
It also has an output chanel for either more main speakers, or a monitor. But you cannot create a separate monitor mix.
You could possibly use one of your amps or both as stage monitors in  pinch.
You should have no trouble filling a room with sound which fits 50-100 people. I use this out doors and entertain lots of people at the malls and markets where I perform. But, don't expect to run a bass through it and be satisfied. A bass player should have their own amp.
I am very happy with this system. It is pretty compact, and well built. It fits in the trunk of a Toyota Corola along with a cajon, speaker and mic stands, and my RockNRoller cart.
It was very affordable. I paid less than $800 new for it.

About that pickup, I have a Larrivee LS 03 with a K and K in it and, as has been said, I have had trouble with it not cutting through. I also have a K and K preamp, but it didn't do the trick. I Know that there are strong supporters of the K and K stuff here on the forums, and my guitar does sound nice when solo and picked or strummed politely. But, I'm an aggressive strummer and flat-picking palm-muting fool, and it just didn't do it for me.
I also have a d03 with a fishman blender in it. this consists of an under saddle piezo, and  a microphone in the guitar. This cuts through better and gives my style of playing a bit more of a push.

As all have said, you should check things out for yourself. Go in to a music store and try some stuff out.

Good luck and have fun!
Rusty
Larrivee d-03, My first "good" guitar
Larrivee p1 Dec 2000
Larrivee Forum III #31 Mom's estate gift to me
Boulder Creek tenor uke *2
Gibson SG 1980 gift from Dad for my 16th birthday
Yellow labrador

Quote from: rustyp on February 11, 2014, 04:11:49 PM
Hi!

I use a Yamaha Stagepass 500 system. It consists of two well built speakers (10 inch and horn tweeter) and a small powered mixer which fits in to the back of one of the speakers.

The mixer has 7 inputs 4 with xlr (microphone) inputs, but all 7 have 1/4 inch inputs for guitars, keys, ETC.
when I use the system on my gigs, I run my Larrivee d 03, a cajon with a mic on it, and one vocal. But there would be room for at least one more vocal and three more plugged instruments.
It also has an output chanel for either more main speakers, or a monitor. But you cannot create a separate monitor mix.
You could possibly use one of your amps or both as stage monitors in  pinch.
You should have no trouble filling a room with sound which fits 50-100 people. I use this out doors and entertain lots of people at the malls and markets where I perform. But, don't expect to run a bass through it and be satisfied. A bass player should have their own amp.
I am very happy with this system. It is pretty compact, and well built. It fits in the trunk of a Toyota Corola along with a cajon, speaker and mic stands, and my RockNRoller cart.
It was very affordable. I paid less than $800 new for it.

About that pickup, I have a Larrivee LS 03 with a K and K in it and, as has been said, I have had trouble with it not cutting through. I also have a K and K preamp, but it didn't do the trick. I Know that there are strong supporters of the K and K stuff here on the forums, and my guitar does sound nice when solo and picked or strummed politely. But, I'm an aggressive strummer and flat-picking palm-muting fool, and it just didn't do it for me.
I also have a d03 with a fishman blender in it. this consists of an under saddle piezo, and  a microphone in the guitar. This cuts through better and gives my style of playing a bit more of a push.

As all have said, you should check things out for yourself. Go in to a music store and try some stuff out.

Good luck and have fun!
Rusty

DITTO, those small yamaha club systems are very nice, and come with phantom power, very clean, easy to carry, and thanks for validating my feelings about K & K mini.
Like over 50?

Thanks for the tips guys! I will go to a guitar center here and test the Yamaha Stagepas 600i. Do you know if it would fit in a big baggage? My father can bring me one if it fits. Here in Brazil they are 3x more expensive :(
Bruno
Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S

Hi Bruno, I don't have any experience trying to fit one in any sortof baggage you could take on the plane, but Each speaker is about the size of a cajon, but a bit heavier. So, Imagine the size of about two cajons, maybe just a little bit bigger, but not much bigger.

Good luck!
For the cost and the size, I am VERY happy with mine.

Rusty 
Larrivee d-03, My first "good" guitar
Larrivee p1 Dec 2000
Larrivee Forum III #31 Mom's estate gift to me
Boulder Creek tenor uke *2
Gibson SG 1980 gift from Dad for my 16th birthday
Yellow labrador

Quote from: rustyp on February 12, 2014, 02:44:18 PM
Hi Bruno, I don't have any experience trying to fit one in any sortof baggage you could take on the plane, but Each speaker is about the size of a cajon, but a bit heavier. So, Imagine the size of about two cajons, maybe just a little bit bigger, but not much bigger.

Good luck!
For the cost and the size, I am VERY happy with mine.

Rusty 

I've bought the yamaha stagepas 600i and I'm very happy with it!!! The sound is amazing! Thanks for your support guys! Unfortunately I couldnt buy the Larrivee (due to taxes, the PA and Larrivee would cost me so much, so Ive bought the PA because it would be better for the band) so I've bought the k&k and installed it in my Yamaha FG 700s. The sound is pretty good. Now I have a question: I dont understand nothing about EQ, so sometimes the sound of both guitars blend together. Could you guys help me, or give me any tips on how to EQ? I play the rythm guitar and my friend (Takamine EG 340sc) plays the lead guitar.
Thank you so much!
Larrivee LV-03RE (SOON)
Yamaha FG700S

The best tip I can give you for EQing acoustic guitars is that the acoustic guitar has plenty of midrange to start with. Often dialing out the midrange almost entirely will solve any muddiness that you are getting. Otherwise you are just boosting or attenuating frequencies  based on what your ears are telling you in regard to the instruments and vocals and the room you are in. Play with it until you like the sound. Have fun.

That's alot of amps for small spaces.  Just sayin'.

The question I would be asking is how to get the electric players to go amp simulation.  Then the question of the PA becomes simpler.

You've got all the amplification needed for 5-100 person venues, just with the standalone amps by themselves right now.

That's my opinion as both a player and a FOH sound engineer.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I am also looking for an acoustic amp in the near future and have been impressed with AER amps.  I have also heard good things about Genz Benz and Ultrasound amps as well.

Good luck with your search.

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/