Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee 000-60 Fingerstyle String Gauge Question  (Read 1584 times)
4ever_student

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:08 AM »

Recently I purchased a dreamy 000-60 for finger style play.  It has a wonderful tone, and the 1-13/16" neck is exceptional for me.  My question has to do with what other 000-60 owners have chosen for string gauge.  Currently .012's (lights) are installed.  I've read that .011's provide less string tension; hence easier play for finger pickers.  Yet I've also read that .013's supply better tone.  For those of you with 000-60 models what string gauge are you using for fingerstyle?  Thanks, in advance, for your time.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:27:41 AM »

welcome...

I, too, play strictly fingerstyle and find lts. (some mfgs. call them med/lts) sufficient for both tone, power and ease on the fingers. I use .012-.053/.054s and my particular brand of choice is Curt Mangan Phophor-Bronze but all the others would probably work as well.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »

I have a 000-50 which is the mahogany version.  I use D'Addario EJ17 mediums and they really make the guitar sing.  Funny thing about the 000-50 guitar as  the medium strings actually feel like lights compared to other guitars.  Though all my guitars have a good set-up the string tension actually feels a lot less on the 000-50 which makes for easy fingering. 
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »

I have a 000-50 which is the mahogany version.  I use D'Addario EJ17 mediums and they really make the guitar sing.  Funny thing about the 000-50 guitar as  the medium strings actually feel like lights compared to other guitars.  Though all my guitars have a good set-up the string tension actually feels a lot less on the 000-50 which makes for easy fingering. 

+1
4ever_student

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »

So with mediums are you tuning to E flat?  The 000-50 and 000-60 has a 25.5" scale length.  With mediums I would think one would have to tune down to E flat or D standard for finger style.  Is that not your experience?  What about going the other way?  Does any one run ultra lights (.011's)?  Those clearly would have less string tension.  

Please know I realize the choice of string gauge is a personal on; one must experiment and try them out until they land on the right setup for their personal tastes.  Because this is a finger style guitar, which is has a full 25.5" scale length, I was curious about the choices finger style pickers chose with regard to this particular guitar.  

I also have an LV-09E which I love, too.  I joined this forum, in part, because I feel committed to having both feet in the Larrivee camp and want to both, learn from others, and supply useful knowledge that I have gained along the way.  Thanks for reading.  
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 12:35:39 AM »

So with mediums are you tuning to E flat?  The 000-50 and 000-60 has a 25.5" scale length.  With mediums I would think one would have to tune down to E flat or D standard for finger style.  Is that not your experience?  What about going the other way?  Does any one run ultra lights (.011's)?  Those clearly would have less string tension.  

Please know I realize the choice of string gauge is a personal on; one must experiment and try them out until they land on the right setup for their personal tastes.  Because this is a finger style guitar, which is has a full 25.5" scale length, I was curious about the choices finger style pickers chose with regard to this particular guitar.  

I also have an LV-09E which I love, too.  I joined this forum, in part, because I feel committed to having both feet in the Larrivee camp and want to both, learn from others, and supply useful knowledge that I have gained along the way.  Thanks for reading.  

The Larrivees which I own for the most part are tuned to standard pitch.  I feel they take the string tension a lot better than my Martin guitars which are tuned down a half step as they're a much lighter build.  You could tune down your Larry a half step with mediums to acclimate your fingers to a slightly less but noticeable difference.    
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 02:11:50 AM »

I own two Larrivee's.  A Forum IV OO all hog and an OM-50.  I use mediums on both and play in standard tuning 99.9% of the time (I doodle with DADGAD once in a while).  I've never had an issue or a concern with any extra or undo tension.  Works great.  They provide so much more of a voice and I couldn't imagine going back to lights.

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
gxs3000

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »

I have been using Dean Markley 12's (lights).  I think the specs say mediums are okay, but 12's sound fine to me and it is less stress for me and the guitar.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:10:48 AM »

I have been using Dean Markley 12's (lights).  I think the specs say mediums are okay, but 12's sound fine to me and it is less stress for me and the guitar.

+1

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: