Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee F-33 available at TMS  (Read 1957 times)
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:47:19 AM »

Hey everyone,

Haven't posted here in a while, but I saw a used Larrivee F-33 listed at the Mandolin Store http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9866 and thought I'd pass along the info.  Used Larrivee mandolins aren't the easiest to find out there...

NFI, but I did have an A-33 for a while and really enjoyed it.  I traded it along with another mandolin for the current mandolin I have now and have no regrets.  These are great mandolins that are very versatile and not just bluegrass machines.  I'll have another Larrivee mandolin in the future!

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
redwards

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »

What mandolin are you playing these days?

I am currently playing a Weber Yellowstone, but looking to make a change. Right now my considerations are a Northfield or a Collings.

Robert

Larrivee O-50
Collings OM2H
Alvarez Yairi DY87 (Doubleneck)
Northfield "S" Series Custom mandolin
Gibson Les Paul Standard
G&L ASAT (Tele)
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »

Hey redwards,

I've been playing a Pomeroy F5 for the past year or so.  I only have one mandolin and I am very happy with this one.  My oldest son has a Weber Yellowstone and my youngest has a Breedlove Spirit.  Both nice mandolins that get a lot of use.  I think my son's Weber is from around 2003 and the finish on the neck was quite thick and gummy, so we just took it down to wood.  Plays much nicer now.  We are having an octave mandolin built for us by Lawrence Nyberg, and should be ready some time in April.

I used to have a Larrivee A-33 that I played for a couple of years and really enjoyed it.  I can see another Larrivee mando coming in down the road.

Collings and Northfields are both highly regarded mandolin makers.  I have played neither, but have only heard good things.  Pava mandolins seem to getting a lot of attention lately as well.  Probably in the price range you are considering.  Probably all 3 of those mandolins will sound a play a little different than your Weber.  With that said, Weber makes a fine mandolin!

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
redwards

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »

Hey Johnny M,

I've been looking at the Pava's as well, they're getting a lot of great press. I'm most likely going to stay with an F-style for now.

Been waffling between the Northfield and Collings.

Are you the one posting over on the Mandolin Café about the build you're having done by Mr. Nyberg? if so, I have read your postings.

Robert

Robert

Larrivee O-50
Collings OM2H
Alvarez Yairi DY87 (Doubleneck)
Northfield "S" Series Custom mandolin
Gibson Les Paul Standard
G&L ASAT (Tele)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: