yet another capo

Started by headsup, January 07, 2014, 06:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As some folks around this forum know, I'm not a big fan of electronic tuners-primarily because players become dependant on them and forget how to hear and tune their guitar, (never mind not know if or when it's out of tune). (I found this sadly true of students)

yes on stage for shows, I have a kill switch when I'm working with other artists and they are changing keys or adding a Capo.

Except for the G7 Capo I started using in the past year (only because it doesn't pull the strings sharp) I try and avoid Capo's.
Of course this isn't always possible, especially when backing other artists who decide at the last minute to move into Eb or something challenging.

Adding a Capo pretty much always demands a tuning adjustment, and I found THIS cute little rig recently and bought it.
I don't need to know what the name of the string is, but it's nice to have a very quick look see on the spot, and do the minutest of tun age for the occasion.

http://www.playguitar.com/capo-tuner/

Closing my eyes on stage and tuning to the person who has the tuner has usually worked for me, but even I can make mistakes ( Imagine!)
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Cool! I've tried mostly every kind of capo on the market and have found the Planet Waves NS capo to be the best as far as my needs go. I'll try one of these if I see one. 

When placed properly, you can make just about any capo work without pulling strings sharp.  Proper placement means the pad of the capo puts most of the clamping force on the string, directly on top of the fretwire.  People complain about Kysers pulling sharp but if you place it like this:

It will not pull strings sharp.  You do have to be mindful of the pad damping the string too much, but this method has worked with all kinds of capos for me and when I show it to others, they are quite amazed at the results.

If you place it between fretwires, the Kyser can pull strings sharp.  

This does have a tendency to crowd the fretting hand, I'm not going to lie about that.  But if you have a Kyser and keep it in a drawer because it's pulling strings sharp - give this a try.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I have several Kysers as well as other trigger type capoes, a Shubb, a G7 and various others but the NS for lightness and ease of use gets my vote.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 07, 2014, 08:57:02 PM
I have several Kysers as well as other trigger type capoes, a Shubb, a G7 and various others but the NS for lightness and ease of use gets my vote.
:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

well I have long since left the world of Spring Capos, the G7 IMO just blew everything outa the water, this new fangled thang sure is a clever little guy.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I have one of the older heavier G7s that I use on my 12 strings and it works well enough. I use my two NS capos mostly on my 6 strings, however, mostly because they're lighter and almost as easy to use. I know a lot of folks love Shubbs but they seem clumsy to me. The NS works much like a Shubb but has eliminated the clampy part and replaced it with a gear. Seems I may have more money invested in various capos than some have in guitars. Heh.