Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a Mandolin!!!!  (Read 1705 times)
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »

I've been looking for something cheap to start working on my mandolin chops and found one of these:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2718010532

I had it set up at the shop and brought it home last night.  No, it's nothing special, made in China, but it does have a solid top and Grovers.  It sounds pretty nice and the set up made it playable.  I'm pretty happy.  It didn't come with a case so I went to a few shops and found a brand new Breedlove mando case they were blowing out at $59.  Superb!

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »

I don't think of Gretsch and little instruments but a friend bought a Gretsch ukulele a few weeks back. It's quite nice. Much nicer than the Martin for the same price. Mandos are fun. Have a blast with it.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:48:08 AM »

Oh yea Dennis. Mando's are a cool thing, like having a little hot rod. And they are so much more logical than guitar, with the equal intervals between strings. Have fun and cant wait to here you record it.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »

I had one years ago and I'm just starting to find my way around again.  It's soooo much fun!  My friend did a superb job setting it up.  It's going to be a great winter spent just noodling and fiddling. 

Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »

I love mandolin and would love to have one.  I'm jealous.  I played one at a local guitar shop and couldn't figure out how to make my fingers that small.   I listen to a lot of David Grisman, Matt Flinner, John Reischman, and others.  After hearing those guys I would probably smash any mando up in frustration (blaming it on the mando, of course) and go back to my tuba and guitar. 

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:01:31 PM »

Made the 3-hour drive to Cleveland today listening to Dawganova the whole way here.
Congratulations, Denis. We look forward to your next recordings.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »

The David Grisman Quintet's and Tony Rice Unit's music (with Grisman or Sam Bush) inspires me. Some of the greatest music I've ever heard. My mandolin playing is much more prosaic but I love the heck out of it.  
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 04:13:50 AM »

I have to go find a good pick....that sounds weird to say that. 

redwards

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »

Go big, get a Blue Chip! They're pricey but in the mando community they are highly praised by many...some not as much. Unless you're a bluegrass flatpick guitarist, you'll likely move to a heavier pick for your mandolin. You'll probably try a few before settling and may use a few different ones for different styles of playing and/or songs.

Robert

Larrivee O-50
Collings OM2H
Alvarez Yairi DY87 (Doubleneck)
Northfield "S" Series Custom mandolin
Gibson Les Paul Standard
G&L ASAT (Tele)
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »

I used to play the heck out my mando, at least for the two years preceeding buying a Larrivee guitar. Now, well, it rarely comes out of the case as I'm still infatuated with my Larrivee guitar and always head to it first and foremost. Maybe for me the answer to my neglected mandolin syndrome would be to buy a Larrivee mandolin. Unfortunately, I've never even seen or heard one here in Michigan. (No sweetheart...I didn't say I was going to buy a new mandolin....honest! Sweetheart...? Baby...?) Oops...gotta go....

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »

I have to go find a good pick....that sounds weird to say that. 

Two words. Big Stubby!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: