Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow nothing on Jim Hall?  (Read 666 times)
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:36:03 AM »

Amazing nothing on the passing of Jazz legend Jim Hall. While Hall was not really my cup of tea in the realm of Jazz guitar, most of the serious jazz guitarists I know hod him in the highest regard. If you are unfamiliar with his work, seek it out it is definitely worth being exposed to. Particularly his early work.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:16:55 AM »

Oh yea. Didn't know he passed. He was great. Seems he did a variety of stuff, sittin in with other greats. Yes definitely worth a big mention.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
miral

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »

Here a segment from NPR

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/13/250736909/fresh-air-remembers-jazz-guitarist-jim-hall

R.I.P. Jim

Larrivee L-03W
Gibson ES-135
Fender 68' MIJ Reissued Strat
Sigma Martin DM-3Y
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:24:41 PM »

Unless you consider yourself "nothing", you've done well. Hall was a fine musician.

Rock'n'roll guitarists play 3 chords in front of thousands of people and jazz guitarists play thousands of chords in front of 3 people. Heh.

RIP Jim.   
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:43:33 AM »

Jim Hall's passing is very sad.  He was indeed one of the giants of jazz guitar.  He was never flashy or fast but his sound, his lines (melodically, harmonically and rhythmically), chordal work and touch were incredible.  I think he played with almost everyone and in the jazz guitar world, was a mentor and hero to so many younger players.  His sound is the one I gravitate towards most for that "jazz hollowbody" sound.  If you aren't familar with his work, here are a few recordings worth a listen.

Hallmarks: The Best of Jim Hall (1971-2000)

Concierto (1975)

Subsequently (1992)  (very John Scolfield like)

The Jim Hall Trio (really a quartet):  Cirlces (1981)
   specifically "(All of the Sudden) My Heart Sings"  and "Down from Antigua"
both of those tunes consistently knock my socks off.  Especially on "Down from Antigu" where Jim plays more of the role of the drummer/percussionist while the drummer becomes the melodic instrument (along with the bass player).  Jim's rhthmic and chordal work are amazing.   Again, nothing flashy.  Simply beautifully played music.  And his ability to build intensity in the music via the chords and rhythmic development.  He could build a crescendo without changing dynamics (if that makes sense).  He was a true master and will be missed.

RIP Jim.

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: